Anyone cycling/camping around Europe next year?

rhysrezens

Postby rhysrezens » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:50 pm

Hi everyone

I'm looking to meet people to join me (or i join them) on a cycling trip around Europe from May next year (2015). It would be nice to go with a small group to help navigate, share experience and safer when camping (plan on stealth camping when transitioning between proper campsites). I have some ideas but my itinerary is very open and I don't have any time constraints. Camping mostly for accommodation. I'm 27 years old and an experienced rider but don't speak foreign language (will learn the basics). Still looking at my bike options too. Appreciate if you know anyone also.

Thanks
Rhys

rhysrezens

Re: Anyone cycling/camping around Europe next year?

Postby rhysrezens » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:05 pm

Well looks like I might be going solo...
Plan on riding from Amsterdam along the coast through Belgium and France then south to Nantes. Then head East along Eurovelo 6, breaking off at Digoin to make way to Grenoble. After setting base here for a few weeks head up to Switzerland. See how Im feeling from here.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:40 pm

rhysrezens wrote:don't speak foreign language (will learn the basics).
Have a great trip. ^^^ is crutial! Even if it is only a few words of greeting and be able to say that 'I am Australian' will go a long way towards the person being helpful. It will be pretty obvious from your accent and pronunciation that you aren't a local and you will most will then speak to you in English and provide assistance. Most Europeans are bi+lignual so even with only a small vocabulary for each of the countries you visit you should be fine.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:48 pm

rhysrezens wrote:Well looks like I might be going solo...
The best way to tour for mine.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

onrbikes

Postby onrbikes » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:59 pm

Hey Rhys

We found hanging a small Australian flag off the back helped. It would often be the icebreaker to starting a conversation, and it even got us invited inside often as well as an overnight.

Going solo would allow you easier access, as many would never invite more than one person due to space.

enjoy the experience.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:10 pm

onrbikes wrote:We found hanging a small Australian flag off the back helped.
I'd be a bit wary of overtly advertising I'm Australian given recent events.

I do fly small boxing kangaroo which is probably less obvious and a great conversation starter.

rama

Postby rama » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:38 pm

I assure you that Australians are most welcome in Europe. If you need to be overly cautious, don't display the national flag because it may be confused with the British flag(!). Rather, use other signs that give away you're from down under. Kangaroos, Uluru, the Sydney Opera, even Paul Hogan posing as Crocodile Dundee will do the trick for any European!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:28 pm

I wouldn't worry about putting a skippy or something on your bike... even less so if you were a kiwi, All Black kit is standard attire where I live ... 1 in 10 seems to have a silver fern somewhere on their clothing :lol: .

rhysrezens

Postby rhysrezens » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:11 pm

Thanks for your advice everyone. I too was thinking of displaying something Australian. I think ill have a boxing kangaroo ride with me on my rear pannier.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:34 pm

The French LOVE Aussies ... it is by far the number one dream destination for les Français.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:57 pm

I have one like this Boxing Kangaroo flag

I think it less provocative to those who are inclined to take aim at anything coloured red, white, and blue.

marshmallow

Postby marshmallow » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:38 am

Have a great trip. I agree with Dalai47 - learn a few phrases in French and the friendly locals will assist where possible. I did a similar route a few years back and wrote about it in this book which includes French Alps climbs.
http://www.amazon.com.au/baguettes-bicy ... d+bicycles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll be in France in April cycling north from Marseille. Drop me a line if you wish at my blog.
http://dothebikething.blogspot.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers

redrover3

Postby redrover3 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:09 am

Just discovered your blog. I've got some great reading ahead of me- Thailand, Europe, O'Reilleys. Looking at my first touring trip next year.
Tony

rhysrezens

Postby rhysrezens » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:44 am

Hi everyone
So I just finished my tour of Europe, including visits to Holland, Belgium, France, Switzerland and Germany. I was traveling alone for much of my trip but I did join forces with other cyclists along the way, including another Australian and we were together for 4 days. I was using my phone and Google maps for directions. I eventually got a French sim card with Internet access which helped a lot with making decisions on the fly. I think paper maps would be useful for shorter tours. Google maps took me on a some really sketchy paths in France where there are not so many bike lanes or paths. The Eurovelo bike paths I followed were excellent! (Orléans to Nantes-6 and Nantes to Bordeaux-1) They take the stress of navigating out of it and let you enjoy everything. The dunes around Lacanau beach and the beach itself are amazing. For accommodation I was mostly camping, which is great in France and gets more enjoyable when you get used to it. I even got used to sleeping on the floor after my inflatable mattress had an hole in it (yes I did everything to try and fix until I couldn't bear to hear that sound of air escaping any longer). I also was the recipient of a few 'warmshowers' which was a great experience. Of course the French alps was the highlight of my experience where I used the "shut up legs" technique to good affect. I was much more relaxed after this as if anything bad happened where I could no longer continue, I was content I made it to the alps. One of the biggest fears I had was my bike getting stolen. But often I left it unlocked outside of supermarkets as it was a bit of an effort unattaching my bike lock. And I think the risk is much lower than you think, or maybe you just get over that fear. So I encourage anyone who is thinking of cycle touring to give it a go. It was also really cheap! My blog is thebakerytrail.tumblr.com if anyone would like to take a look. Best of luck!

rhysrezens

Postby rhysrezens » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:03 am

Also funny when I arrived in Amsterdam and other parts of Holland and told them I would travel around Europe on a bicycle, they often replied "Why would you do that". I imagined they loved cycling as much as I do. But mostly they see it as a means of transportation. Which is evident in the lack of maintenance or care they show their bicycles. Often ridden to death if they haven't already been stolen. I think the connection with the bicycle lies in the suffering you experience on it. They don't have this connection because they don't ride long or hard enough. It is not the suffering itself but the end of suffering like at the end of a huge climb that i think is the attraction. Although you don't have to be at the end of a beautiful climb like Alpe d'huez to feel the joy. Nor do you have to suffer to enjoy a nice bike ride along the Loire. But when you go further to a point you begin to suffer, it's a whole different experience. I'll be back in Sydney in August. PM me if anyone would like to go for a ride :)

redrover3

Postby redrover3 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Fantastic blog. You certainly fit a lot into your days but still take the time to absorb the environment. Inspiring me for next year.
Tony