Wellington NZ - what's up?

Espresso_

Wellington NZ - what's up?

Postby Espresso_ » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:54 pm

Not quite touring, but I'm moving to Wellington NZ soon and interested in any tips on cycling and related stuff (eg the good bike shops) in that part of NZ.

I know it's probably not the high point of cycling in NZ because so much has been written (including on here) about cycling in other areas eg the South Island.

Any tips or info?

E

BenGr

Re: Wellington NZ - what's up?

Postby BenGr » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:40 pm

Take a mountain bike along the Rimutaka track, 1in15 rail trail. make a day of it and cycle around the coast to the base (I believe its possible...). Other then that can't help, I was in and on the ferry within a few hours, and mostly hanging with family.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:43 pm

That trail looks great - I'm fine tuning my rigid mtb/off road tourer for riding that regularly!

E

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:56 pm

Buy up big on Ground Designs gear - you're gonna need it.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:59 pm

RonK wrote:Buy up big on Ground Designs gear - you're gonna need it.
Ground Effects? I've heard good things...

E

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:00 pm

You might also want to purchase a BNA wind vest...http://www.bicycles.net.au/bna-kit-limited/
I grew up in Wellington, it does blow a bit
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:05 pm

I lived in Wellington for five years in the 80s before moving to Sydney and did a lot of riding. Mountain bike is the best option although there are some good road rides around the coast in town, longer rides are harder because you need to go on the motorway to get out.

I lived in Karori and rode to work at the University. One of the great things about living there was being able to go home, jump on the bike and be out on a trail climbing a hill in 5 minutes. These days I think things are a bit more organised, back then you just found a trail and went riding. Looks like these days there's an organised park: Makara Peak.

I did a lot of touring on the South Island, as BenGr said, the ferry is very convenient and riding from Blenheim is really nice.

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:43 pm

My brother lived there for quite a while, and I regularly travel there for work. As others have said the MTBing is first class. Road wise the Evans Bay - Miramar - Owhiro Bay loop is popular close to town, and the Pencarrow Coast Road is also a good ride that takes you down the far side of Wellington Harbour. The good thing about Wellington is it's the one N.Z. city with a decent metro train service, so it''s easy to wack your bike on rails and get out of town a bit.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:48 pm

Good tips - thanks rangersac.

E

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:24 pm

When is the move E?

Is it going to be long-term? Or are you going on a contract?

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:37 pm

RonK wrote:When is the move E?

Three weeks Ron.

Permanent move in that I've no specific plans to return, but I'm not ruling out anything.

E

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:34 pm

Espresso_ wrote:
RonK wrote:When is the move E?

Three weeks Ron.

Permanent move in that I've no specific plans to return, but I'm not ruling out anything.

E
Well, it will be handy - to have a base for my visits to NZ. :lol: :lol: :lol:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:22 pm

cancan64 wrote:You might also want to purchase a BNA wind vest...http://www.bicycles.net.au/bna-kit-limited/
I grew up in Wellington, it does blow a bit
A bit like like 40 bas... err illegitimates! :lol: :lol:

Welly is my favourite NZ city.

When I was last there you could take your bike on the train.......

My favourite "short" day trip would be a train trip to Petone Station.
Exit via the motorway over bridge from the station platform facing the bottom of Korokoro.
Head left up the hill.
Take first street on right (Singers Rd).
Head up Singers Rd passing school on left and up to the T intersection where you turn left.
You are on Maungaraki Rd which you follow for a couple of clicks in an upward trajectory.
The Road eventually peaks and its flat along the top - keep going till you see a pine plantation on your left.
There is a car park entrance to the pine plantation and a track signed for the Mill Stream or it might be Maungaraki Dam.
Wont bore you with the history, but its a steep adrenalin filled ride to the dam on a path thats both gravel, clay (watch it when wet) and wood in places. Be aware your sharing with walkers so don't get too loose.
The dam is good spot to admire the scenery and its hard to believe your minutes from suburbia. Have a drink and when you've caught your breath head downstream along the narrow track.
This will take you to Cornish St at Petones southern entrance.
Now I would head into Petone to take advantage of the many restaurants and takeaways for a feed (about 10 mins away max) or alternatively you can just, at the Cornish Street, Motorway intersection, turn left and follow the motorway, on the footpath, the 5 minutes up the road to Petone Station once again, ready to return whence you came.
If fitness is your goal, the ride I described in reverse would be more rewarding but still have a speedy ride down to Korokoro's hill bottom or alternatively, exit left from the Pine plantation car park to climb upwards, after a short downhill section, to a T intersection, where you'd turn right to exit at the bottom of Maungaraki, or turn left at the T intersection to exit at the bottom of Normondale or with some map work, Belmont and you ending up closer to Lower Hutt.

Enjoy!

http://www.huttvalleynz.com/Sights-and- ... mont-Trig/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://tracks.org.nz/track/show/99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.zenbu.co.nz/entry/1119416-mill-stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by rifraf on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:06 pm

Petone Trivia:

The best water in the country is in Petone (IMHO) and favoured by home brewers. To fill your water bottle for a free sample of what Petone/Korokoro used to enjoy before the Hutt council took over and changed the supply, head to Jackson Street from the railway station. Ride up Jackson Street and look for Buick Street on your right.
There is some sort of monument and tap there of the old artesian water supply.
http://www.huttvalleynz.com/upload/d...tone_water.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.