NZ Cycling Great Rides with panniers or bikepacking

uad782

Re: NZ Cycling Great Rides with panniers or bikepacking

Postby uad782 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:41 pm

I believe Heaphy has been like that since 2011. I think they are planning to extend MTB season. I am heading over soon to cycle OGR and continue on through todo Heaphy as Ron mentions. Makes a great loop.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:28 pm

Been reading the Tour Aeteroa book by the Kennett Bros. they have some interesting stats. Of the 250 riders, 35% were using Maxxis Ikon or Crossmark tyres. Only 6% were using nano's.

There was no mention of any touring type tyre in the list

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:30 pm

Yeah, and after reading a few blogs, most of those using Nano's seem to be Americans. Maxxis are obviously the local favourite.

Also read somewhere that nearly all who used skinny tyres i.e. less than 2" said they regretted it.

I dunno if you have seen this, but I think it's one of the best Tour Aotearoa blogs published, and reading it just makes me want to get on my bike and get out there.

Endless Cycle
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:34 am

RonK wrote:
cancan64 wrote:
This will be great thing, particularly for those who want to ride a circuit which includes both the Heaphy and the Old Ghost Road (which may be subject to severe weather conditions in winter).
The weather can turn to doo doo any time of the year on "The Coast".

I think they've just had a weather bomb recently and to illustrate somewhat, the lower North Island ranges are still under snow which is usually well gone by this time of year.

A relative north of Wellington sent me some pics of the Tararuas a couple of days ago and I was surprised by the amount of white up there.

Whilst there can be snow in the highest reaches of the Heathy its not that common with north of Westport having whats colloquially described as a micro climate.

Its the torrential rain on the upper west coast that can cause much woe and can be very dangerous even without the potential hypothermic temperatures that can accompany it.

I'm quite excited by the move to expand the duration of the ridable months on the Heaphy and the recent addition of the OGR ride.
Coupled with another of your mentioned tours RonK, I think could be a winner for a definite thumbs up. :idea:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:08 am

With the Tour Aeteroa 2018 well and truly oversubscribed I have noticed on the TA facebook page that there is an unofficial tour as well. I am slowly riding the middle/top half of the North Island when I can but will either do the unofficial tour or ride on my own (South Island in reverse and pick a North island route which I havent ridden), subject to if I move back to Brisbane or stay here.
There is also in planning a 4 day gravel grind around Rotorua (I sort of rode this last year) and another being planned around Taupo.
As for tyres I have ridden the Waikato river trail and Timber Trail on my CX bike with 32c tyres although I did get 3 pinch plats on the Timber trail so now waiting for delivery of 40c tubeless tyres which will hopefully fit and fix that problem
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:32 pm

rifraf wrote:I'm quite excited by the move to expand the duration of the ridable months on the Heaphy and the recent addition of the OGR ride.
Coupled with another of your mentioned tours RonK, I think could be a winner for a definite thumbs up. :idea:
Yes, it opens up some interesting possibilities. For example, the Heaphy extended through November then dovetails neatly with the opening of the Rainbow Road in December, and once the Molesworth Road is reopened after the earthquake damage is repaired, a challenging (if convoluted) circuit ride could link them.

Starting from Picton (get there how you will):

Ride Queen Charlotte Drive to Pelorus Bridge (stop for lunch at the Mussel Boys in Havelock) It will be a highlight I promise you.
From Pelorus Bridge, ride (or perhaps walk) the Maungatapu Track to Nelson
From Nelson, ride the Great Taste Trail to Tapawera
From Tapawera, take the Tadmore Valley Road and the Gowan Valley Road to Lake Rotoroa, then the Braeburn Track to Murchison
From Murchison, take SH6 to Lyell and the Old Ghost Road to Ghost Lake Hut
Continue on the OGR to Specimen Point Hut.
Finish the OGR and continue on to Karamea
Ride the Heaphy through to Collingwood
Then cross Takaka Hill to Motueka
Rejoin the Great Taste Trail and then the Golden Downs Trail to St Arnaud
Ride the Rainbow Road to Hanmer Springs
Ride the Molesworth Road to Blenheim
Back to Picton.

Conseratively, around 20-25 riding days, depending on speed and fitness.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...