Cycling in Paris and Berlin

trailgumby

Cycling in Paris and Berlin

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 04, 2016 10:27 pm

The missus and I are plotting a visit to Germany and France in September this year to visit our eldest who is studying in Germany at university on a student exchange. Thinking two, maybe three weeks.

I'd like to do a few easy rides with my wife and maybe daughter in Germany and probably in Paris. My wife is basically a non-rider and my daughter a short-distance commuter.

Any suggestions? Are the bike share scheme bikes suitable for a day's outing?

rama

Re: Cycling in Paris and Berlin

Postby rama » Wed May 04, 2016 11:07 pm

Just came back from a short family vacation in Berlin, and was impressed by their cycling infrastructure, even downtown. You can hire a typical city bike (all fitted with front hub dynamos!) for 12 euro/day. All trains are bike-friendly. Lots of seniors cycling about. Cyclists have absolute priority in streets. Strongly suggest you visit nearby Wansee & Potsdam, and ride around palaces, parks, forests and lakes. Terrain is dead flat. The spectacular Schloss Sanssouci palace was built on the only hill in the area. And that was a mighty 30m climb!

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed May 04, 2016 11:26 pm

Hmm, sounds good, I'll be in Berlin shortly and am planning to do the Potsdam bike tour with my non riding partner.

DS

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1

avolve

Postby avolve » Thu May 12, 2016 2:22 pm

I have ridden (commuter style) around Berlin. I also did a fat tire bike tour a couple years back. Great for noncyclicsts and those less expereienced. You also get introduced to a few sites of interest and can use it as a means to decide on which ones you would like to visit after the ride.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri May 13, 2016 7:35 am

Have booked the Potsdam Tour so we'll see how that goes.

Did a good city tour of Brussels today.

It is such a great way to see things - I seem to have done bike tours in a few cities now: Bangkok, Boston, Brussels, hmm all start with B and the Potsdam tour is from Berlin! Also get on the city bikes. Cities are great places to see by bike.

DS

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1