Cycling in Paris and Berlin

trailgumby

Cycling in Paris and Berlin

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 04, 2016 10:27 pm

The missus and I are plotting a visit to Germany and France in September this year to visit our eldest who is studying in Germany at university on a student exchange. Thinking two, maybe three weeks.

I'd like to do a few easy rides with my wife and maybe daughter in Germany and probably in Paris. My wife is basically a non-rider and my daughter a short-distance commuter.

Any suggestions? Are the bike share scheme bikes suitable for a day's outing?

rama

Re: Cycling in Paris and Berlin

Postby rama » Wed May 04, 2016 11:07 pm

Just came back from a short family vacation in Berlin, and was impressed by their cycling infrastructure, even downtown. You can hire a typical city bike (all fitted with front hub dynamos!) for 12 euro/day. All trains are bike-friendly. Lots of seniors cycling about. Cyclists have absolute priority in streets. Strongly suggest you visit nearby Wansee & Potsdam, and ride around palaces, parks, forests and lakes. Terrain is dead flat. The spectacular Schloss Sanssouci palace was built on the only hill in the area. And that was a mighty 30m climb!

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed May 04, 2016 11:26 pm

Hmm, sounds good, I'll be in Berlin shortly and am planning to do the Potsdam bike tour with my non riding partner.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

avolve

Postby avolve » Thu May 12, 2016 2:22 pm

I have ridden (commuter style) around Berlin. I also did a fat tire bike tour a couple years back. Great for noncyclicsts and those less expereienced. You also get introduced to a few sites of interest and can use it as a means to decide on which ones you would like to visit after the ride.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri May 13, 2016 7:35 am

Have booked the Potsdam Tour so we'll see how that goes.

Did a good city tour of Brussels today.

It is such a great way to see things - I seem to have done bike tours in a few cities now: Bangkok, Boston, Brussels, hmm all start with B and the Potsdam tour is from Berlin! Also get on the city bikes. Cities are great places to see by bike.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)