3 weeks leave in June. New Zealand?

Stuntman

3 weeks leave in June. New Zealand?

Postby Stuntman » Thu May 05, 2016 12:16 pm

I have 3 weeks leave coming up in June. Considering doing some touring in NZ spurred on by a chance encounter at the coffee shop this morning with one of the locals who has just returned from a 4 week trip.

I have browsed through some of the recent posts and threads and just purchased the Kennetts guidebooks. Any recommendations considering the time of year?

thanks, Shawn
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Focus Paralane, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem,

RonK

Re: 3 weeks leave in June. New Zealand?

Postby RonK » Thu May 05, 2016 1:04 pm

I'vd been seeing reports that like here, winter is late arriving in NZ. I don't know if that means it will arrive with a vengeance but it would probably better to avoid the high country. But if you have a flexible plan you could play it by ear.

If you are thinking South Island you would probably find the best conditions going around the top from Christchurch. You should be able to do that in three weeks and the train/bus back to Chch from Greymouth is an option if the snow arrives.

I'm not familiar with the North Island but you could fly into Auckland and head north, or perhaps to the Coromandel Peninsula.

I have read the journal about a South Island tour from top to bottom during winter, so I think you can be lucky with the weather.

Midwinter New Zealand West Coast

Take warm clothing. :D
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Thu May 05, 2016 6:33 pm

Depending on fitness and desired distances you could head from Auckland to Cape Reinga and back via the opposite coast, with still enough time to checkout the Coromandel Peninsula. Climate is likely slightly cooler than Sydney.

I enjoyed the South Island more though, and normally I would recommend anything less than 2 months to be just in the south. The mountain passes are the main draw imo, so in winter it may not be advisable. They do close sometimes, and down south even at sea level you can get ice on the roads.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Thu May 12, 2016 9:53 am

I grew up in NZ and cycled year round there as a kid and young adult as I had no other transport.

I would pay good money to avoid cycling there in June. But then, if you like being cold and wet as well as the usual NZ hassle of narrow roads and unsympathetic drivers, go for it.

Stuntman

Postby Stuntman » Thu May 12, 2016 10:17 am

scirocco wrote:I grew up in NZ and cycled year round there as a kid and young adult as I had no other transport.

I would pay good money to avoid cycling there in June. But then, if you like being cold and wet as well as the usual NZ hassle of narrow roads and unsympathetic drivers, go for it.
Ha ha. Thanks for the feedback. I have been mulling over a few options, and I am thinking I might leave NZ until Feb-Apr next year. I have convinced a few mates of a couple days away in the sea kayaks, and will do 1 or 2 local bike trips this time.
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Focus Paralane, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem,

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu May 12, 2016 10:57 am

[quote="StuntmanI am thinking I might leave NZ until Feb-Apr next year.[/quote]
Good thinking 99.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu May 12, 2016 8:08 pm

If you have the money for the flights, head to Japan. Jetstar flights go overnight so you can get there without losing a day. Southern Japan would still be fairly cool in early June, but starting to warm up by the end of June. Hokkaido would be OK, if a little cold inland. You could ride down to Hiroshima from Tokyo via Kyoto then get the train back. If you went to Hokkaido you could fly to Chitose, catch the train to Wakkanai. Then ride back down to Chitose. Hokkaido is a really cheap place to tour. Most campsites are free or $5 a night. There are onsens (public baths) everywhere, where for about $5-7 you can have a hot bath with free soap and shampoo (you can even hire towels). We choose campsites on their closeness to a bath, nothing better than a hot soak after a hard day.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu May 12, 2016 8:19 pm

Hell yeah, with 40kg of luggage each way it's only $1200 to Sapporo/Chitose!