10 days in South Korea

Michael.Maclean

10 days in South Korea

Postby Michael.Maclean » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:08 pm

Hi there!

I'm planning a trip from Seoul to Busan in South Korea in September following a trip there with my work, and was just wondering if anyone out there has done it before, or has any specific advice?

I'm currently going solo and it will be my first cycling multi-day trip and I'm planning on going pretty lightweight, with just a bedrock bags seatbag (this guy: http://www.velorutioncycles.com/seat-ba ... o-seat-bag), a light backpack and a sea to summit compression dry sack on my handlebars.
I'm not currently planning on taking a tent, sleeping bag or any kind of shelter and cooking set up because from my research so far there are plenty of motels, and I feel like I'm pushing my luggage allowance as it is.

In terms of bikes I'm taking my daily everything bike, which is a 2015 Trek Crossrip Elite.
(http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/bikes ... o-top-link)

I live in Fremantle, WA and currently commute 21km each way to the city (42km each day / 200km per week) 5 days a week, with the odd bigger ride thrown in on the weekends, and I've been riding this distance most days since the beginning of the year, rain hail or shine.

I've found a bunch of blogs and articles about doing this route in Korea such as this one: https://travellinghajo.wordpress.com/20 ... one-piece/
But I thought I'd ask on here for any advice as well.

So any thoughts? Open to any suggestions at all.

Also if anyone feels like cycling through South Korea shout out! I wouldn't mind a travelling buddy. :)

Warin

Re: 10 days in South Korea

Postby Warin » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:36 am

Do a local tour first! That way you get your kit sorted out. Freo south? I'd do at least one overnight, preferably more.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:07 am

You may find this journal of interest, and there are many others covering South Korea at crazyguyonabike

Seoul to Busan
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:57 am

Hello from Fremantle. I would as Warin has suggested try a weekend or two ride with our kit over a decent sort of distance, maybe to Preston Beach or the like where you can find accommodation a decent distance south of Perth. Alternatively go north to say Two Rocks or Yanchep. You didn't mention what sort of kilometres you expect to do each day but remember your ride into the city is only around one hour each way, whereas most touring cyclists would be doing a lot more of that day after day.

Personally I would also be doing some endurance training, i.e., 100 km rides once a week with a mix of intervals. Of course I cannot find the website now but from memory it was something like 30 minutes of Zone 2 (HR), 10 minutes of Zone 3, rinse and repeat three times. Anyway if you Google endurance training for Audax or touring you should get some ideas. This is the sort of thing I have done in the past: Training for Bicycle Touring

BruceCTG

Postby BruceCTG » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:42 pm

Hi Michael, how did you go?

I did Seoul to Busan in April this year and have done shorter tours in Korea twice before. There is certainly lots of accommodation so no camping for me either. However the first week was a self guided tour http://www.cycletoursglobal.com/bikeOasis/Explore-Korea and for the second week I was with a few mates (including a Korean speaker) which made it much easier.

Will be more ambitious next time though so would like to hear how you went.

PatNZ

Postby PatNZ » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:33 pm

Hi How did the South Korean trip go?

I'm thinking about doing a Tour around Japan and get the Ferry to South Korea and cycle around there (then maybe attempt china depending on how i'm feeling after reaching Seoul). I have some survival level Korean speaking ability (even though im not korean) so Korea will be a bit easier than Japan I imagine.

My trip is planned for April 2018

BruceCTG

Postby BruceCTG » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:43 am

Hi Pat,

You'll find your language skills very useful as there's not much English spoken outside the cities unless you're in a very touristy area. I toured there last year (Seoul to Busan) with some friends, one of whom was Korean which made everything so much easier. The cycling isn't hard as the bike paths are amazing and follow the rivers (i.e. mostly flat).

I've written a few articles at https://www.cycletoursglobal.com/Blog/Korea as I've now been three times and am planning on going again late 2018.

Have fun!