Bikes on planes

Thoglette

Re: Bikes on planes

Postby Thoglette » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:11 pm

BenGr wrote:Don't bother in the States though.

Where your security screening is provided by the lowest bidder. Just be glad you're not a cellist.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

kb

Postby kb » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:34 am

Thoglette wrote:
BenGr wrote:Don't bother in the States though.

Where your security screening is provided by the lowest bidder. Just be glad you're not a cellist.

I remember really enjoying reading "Travels with my 'Cello" by Julian Lloyd-Webber. (Apologies if the the title is wrong - I read it early 90s). He just booked 2 seats when flying and kept the thing with him :-)

kb

Postby kb » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:36 am

Then again, he also never washed his left hand, so maybe not the best model... ;-)

LG

Postby LG » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:28 pm

Another option if heading to London and one we've elected to try - Royal Brunei have a 30kg baggage allowance plus waive 12kg of the weight of your bike if taking one, so in effect your allowance ends up being 42kg, on top of being the cheapest return fare. Only downsides appear to be the requirement to have a stop in Brunei (3 hrs on way there, 2 hrs on return) and no service of alcohol on the plane. They indicate acceptance of bikes packed in a soft bag or box, we're going to try the Ground Effects body bags with extra padding.
LG = Low Gear

Warin

Postby Warin » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:02 pm

LG wrote:Royal Brunei have a 30kg baggage allowance plus waive 12kg of the weight of your bike if taking one, so in effect your allowance ends up being 42kg, on top of being the cheapest

'Only' fly in/out of Melbourne ... no other Ozie airports.

LG

Postby LG » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:16 pm

Warin wrote:
LG wrote:Royal Brunei have a 30kg baggage allowance plus waive 12kg of the weight of your bike if taking one, so in effect your allowance ends up being 42kg, on top of being the cheapest

'Only' fly in/out of Melbourne ... no other Ozie airports.

Which suits us :D , you could always at first fly the wrong direction to Melbourne and then leave Oz :lol: . We leave in March and will report back on how things go.
LG = Low Gear

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:36 pm

Thanks for the tip about Royal Brunei. Where did you find out about the bike policy? I couldn't find anything about it on their website.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:41 pm

Please ignore my question about the bike policy. Looked again and found it immediately... :oops: Great deal!

LG

Postby LG » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:46 pm

No worries, their information in relation to packaging bikes is scant on their website, so have confirmed details with them via email.
LG = Low Gear

marshmallow

Postby marshmallow » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:47 pm

We fly every year to Europe with Singapore Airlines and take our touring bikes in cardboard boxes - they have a 30kg luggage limit and we never exceed it. I wouldn't say the boxes arrive unscathed, but I consider the baggage handlers more at fault than the airline. Each year we pick up a scratch, but never anything serious.
This year we bought boxes from Air Corsica which were much longer and allowed us to fit the bikes in quite easily. My suggestion is to buy 2 x 100 metre rolls of packing tape and 'mummify' the boxes. Worked well last time we tried it.

rowdyflat

Postby rowdyflat » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:15 pm

Recently went with Qatar Air to Spain Morocco no problems .
They allow total luggage of 30 kg including bike no charge.
Used a Ground Effect Tardis softbag with extra cardboard took off pedals, handlebar ,seat and seatpost out,derailleur off,and spacers on axles.No problems easy to carry over shoulder and very compact which impresses taxi drivers .
Must admit I dont understand the huge ,heavy expensive, hard cases. I saw one that was 12 kg empty !!!!!
Have been on Cathay Pacific in past they were no problem in fact coming back from Rome they didnt even weigh the bike.

triguy

Postby triguy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi all,

I'm travelling to NZ in March and was wondering if anyone has had any difficulty transporting their bike with Qantas using a Scicon Aerocomfort? I see the dimensions fall outside of Qantas' bike policy so was wondering how closely the policy is followed or not?
Thanks
TG