Milan to Sicily with a bike in luggage

jules21

Milan to Sicily with a bike in luggage

Postby jules21 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:09 am

any tips of getting from Milan to Sicily with a bike in luggage?

all of the airlines don't seem to allow my bike bag. Easyjet has 200cm limit on oversize luggage (W+L+H) which my bag doesn't get near. and that's the wallet raping maximum, oversize limit.

I'm thinking train might be my only practical option.

has anyone travelled within Italy with their bike? tips?

I'm fine for long haul flights, they'll take my bike no probs.

battler2

Re: Milan to Sicily with a bike in luggage

Postby battler2 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:14 pm

train, but the different trains have different sized luggage areas so it might be sticking out a bit and blocking the walkway.

the fastest train had the most space. book early for the cheapest fare (ie. as soon as the fares open up on the calendar)

https://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm ... _to_Sicily_

i flew with easyjet though and they didn't ask me to open my bike bag to prove it was bike only. they had a policy of 'it could only contain the bike and nothing else'. didn't measure it either. easyjet are a little more lenient sometimes than ryanair.

scirocco

Re: Milan to Sicily with a bike in luggage

Postby scirocco » Sat May 13, 2017 11:40 am

jules21 wrote:any tips of getting from Milan to Sicily with a bike in luggage?

all of the airlines don't seem to allow my bike bag. Easyjet has 200cm limit on oversize luggage (W+L+H).
This page says 275 cm:
http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/ ... ld-luggage
but it doesn't matter anyway, your bike is sporting equipment not baggage. The size limit is to stop people bringing things like flat screen TVs. Easyjet fly lots of people in Europe on summer-only routes with bikes to holiday destinations - they aren't going to turn away those customers.
Just make sure the bike is packed as per the instructions (pedals off, no clothes in the bag/box) and it will be fine. I often ride with guys in Europe who have flown Easyjet and the only problem that ever comes up is that there are too many bikes to fit on a particular flight and they have to come on the next plane.