Accommodation and cycle hire in or near Saint-Michel-de-Maurienne

Cyclophiliac

Accommodation and cycle hire in or near Saint-Michel-de-Maurienne

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:29 am

For a cycling tour in 2018 or 2019, I was considering basing myself in Saint-Michel-de-Maurienne, since there are so many good cycling climbs to be done starting from there. There doesn't seem to be much accommodation available in that area, though. Hotels I've considered are:
- Les Chemins de Traversaz - in Traversaz, which is 8km (and 560m climbing) up from Saint-Michel-de-Maurienne, not ideally situated if you're returning from a major ride with lots of climbing. It does have very good online reviews, though.
- Savoy - in town near the train station, reasonably good reviews, apparently has good bicycle storage.
- Hotel du Galibier aka Hotel Les Gentianes - in town, on D1006 near the river, but reviews weren't very good.

For bicycle hire, I considered http://www.rentmybike.eu/, because they deliver the bike to your accommodation, and pick it up afterwards. Can any of you recommend any other bicycle hire company to use? I don't have my own transport (I don't drive), so will need the drop-off and pick-up option.

Regards & thanks,
--- Victor.

scirocco

Re: Accommodation and cycle hire in or near Saint-Michel-de-Maurienne

Postby scirocco » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:43 am

You would find more acommodation options in St Jean du Maurienne (also more restaurants, services etc). St Michel is kind of small. Both I would say are equally central for the climbs on offer.
I don't have any bike hire recommendations as I always take my own, which is far more satisfactory than the (very few) people I've ridden with on hire bikes over there, who seem to spend half their time messing about trying to get it set up right for them.
If you pack properly you should be able to get a road bike plus enough clothes to survive in Europe in summer within the 30kg limit of airlines like Emirates, at no extra cost.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:23 am

scirocco wrote:You would find more acommodation options in St Jean du Maurienne (also more restaurants, services etc). St Michel is kind of small. Both I would say are equally central for the climbs on offer.
I don't have any bike hire recommendations as I always take my own, which is far more satisfactory than the (very few) people I've ridden with on hire bikes over there, who seem to spend half their time messing about trying to get it set up right for them.
If you pack properly you should be able to get a road bike plus enough clothes to survive in Europe in summer within the 30kg limit of airlines like Emirates, at no extra cost.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate you taking the time to write it, but as per the thread title, I was asking about bicycle hire and accommodation in Saint-Michel-de-Maurienne.
Last edited by Cyclophiliac on Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:33 pm

As mentioned, there are far more accommodation options in St Jean du Maurienne which is just down the road. The ride on the B road isn't too bad between the two towns.

Bike hire in St Michel http://www.rentmybike.eu/

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:53 pm

dalai47 wrote:As mentioned, there are far more accommodation options in St Jean du Maurienne which is just down the road. The ride on the B road isn't too bad between the two towns.

Bike hire in St Michel http://www.rentmybike.eu/
Thanks, dalai (you use that name on the BN forums too, don't you?). I've already considered www.rentmybike.eu (I mentioned it in 1st post). I'm considering St-Jean-de-Maurienne now, because the accommodation options in other likely starting points are too limited, e.g. Saint-Michel-de-Maurienne and Bourg-Saint-Maurice, even though they're both ideal starting points.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:14 pm

Same user. 8)

Sorry about the link. Somehow completely missed it when I read your post the first time a few days ago! :oops:

Will be interested in what you end up doing, as I've always planned to head back and stay in Saint-Michel-de-Maurienne.

I stayed 7 days in Bourg d'Oisans and 8 in Bourg-Saint-Maurice accessed via Public Transport before hiring a van and hitting the harder to get to cols North and South from those 2 towns.

For Saint-Michel-de-Maurienne, like Bourg d'Oisans, they too have a cycling guide listing the local climbs including the Glandon Col de la Madeleine etc.

For accommodation in Bourg-Saint-Maurice, unfortunately the hostel (The Loft) I stayed in back in 2011 is no more otherwise I would have recommended there. Clean, modern, walking distance from train, over the road from a Lidl... Paid 120 Euro for 8 nights and as I was there in September had a room to myself all but a few nights!

I can recommend a self contained flat in Bourg D' Oisans if you choose to go there. Wasn't the cheapest, but having my own kitchen meant I could cook rather than eat out.