Bike-friendly Ho Chi Minh City hotel wanted.

surly56

Bike-friendly Ho Chi Minh City hotel wanted.

Postby surly56 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:35 pm

Hello Folks,
Looking for a bike-friendly HCMC hotel that will store a bike for a couple of weeks.
Plan is to stay a couple of nights on arrival then come back for a couple more nights after 2 weeks of touristy stuff.
Then my wife heads home and I get another 4 weeks on the bike.
Have contacted a couple of places that have said they will do it but a friend organised something similar only to find on arrival that the hotel had a tiny left-luggage room behind reception and were planning to leave the bike in the foyer for the duration.
Helpful but not secure!
Any recommendations gratefully accepted.
Ross

Leaf T

Re: Bike-friendly Ho Chi Minh City hotel wanted.

Postby Leaf T » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:23 pm

I stayed my first night at beauty guesthouse which was run by nice people but there are far better rooms nearby. I moved to Hotel Thao nhi a few doors down which was great value and run by a really nice family. Unfortunately they only have hallway storage but if you lock it it's at least secure as someone is always there. That's what I did while i stayed there. Vietnamese tend to be open minded when it comes to making a dollar so you could ask how much they would charge to use the large storage room at Beauty GH. Both of these hotels are basic but location wise are excellent.
Hotel Thao Nhi. They have a lift so if your bike is clean or boxed up they might let you leave it in the room.
https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Ho ... 06.6940354

Alternatively there are several bike shops who might offer to store it for a fee. Riding in Saigon looks more daunting than it actually is. Traffic is so congested you move easily with the flow of motorcycles and often faster. Wouldn't want to do it regularly though.
This bike shop provided a bike box and areon the way to the airport. Very helpful. https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Bi ... 06.6785909

battler2

Postby battler2 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:17 pm

as for HCMC, i stayed in a hostel that would let me leave it out of sight behind the stairwell. i locked it to the railings with a crappy lock + they assured me reception was always manned (and it had to be otherwise computers etc. could be stolen.

the vietnamese will rarely, if ever, let you bring your bike with you into the room. they are crazy like that. you're paying for a hotel but they still control you more so than anywhere else in the world. it's considered dirty.

believe me, i've had arguments with them. it's not worth it because they can't understand you and you can't understand them. google translate just doesnt work sometimes.

but they will usually try to accommodate. just keep it with the motorbikes sometimes. they almost always lock up stuff overnight.

yes theft is bad in HCMC, as heard of people being robbed/snatched of their phones. i used a quad lock and nobody went for it. grip your phone tight and hold it away from the street when using it. or say goodbye.

but more specific to your question. you will probably have to pay. offer $1 a day or something. take a picture of the bike in its storage place, the person that you leave it with (for insurance purposes).

personally i would just take it boxed with me, if its expensive! its a hassle but you have some piece of mind. they really don't care.

surly56

Postby surly56 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Thanks to Leaf T and battler2 for your responses.
I emailed a couple of bike shops but am yet to receive a reply.
I also go a message with a recommendation for Ms Yangs Homestay from a guy who has stayed there a few times with a bike.
The online feedback for the place was great.
I made contact and Ms Yang has offered to store my bike at her house so I have booked with them.
Will be interesting to see how it works out.
Really looking forward to this trip.
Cheers, Ross

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:02 pm

Have fun. I was there in June last year and the humidity absolutely killed me. A previous trip in Thailand in March 2013 was hotter but less humidity so relatively tolerable.