Promoting cycle touring to bring the tourist $

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Promoting cycle touring to bring the tourist $

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:35 am

This article which is about the hick town that my grandparents lived in gives a mention about the increase in cycle tourism (in the video) in their local area and from what I've seen NZ has put quite a bit of effort into promoting cycling tourism including regional bike paths. It's good to see our neighbour is putting in the effort into encouraging cycling tourism and reaping the rewards

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/958635 ... t.95863509
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

RonK

Re: Promoting cycle touring to bring the tourist $

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:25 am

mikesbytes wrote:NZ has put quite a bit of effort into promoting cycling tourism including regional bike paths.
Sure has - in April (i.e. in the autumn) I toured the South Island for a month and my route incorporated parts of the Otago Central Rail Trail, the Alps to Ocean Great Ride, the Around the Mountains Great Ride, and the Roxburgh Gorge and Clutha Gold Trails.

I had ridden part of the Otago Central Rail Trail previously, so it came as no surprise that there were plenty of cyclists on the trail even though it was autumn and the temps were really starting to drop. But I was very surprised by the number of people on the Alps to Ocean Great Ride considering that it is only the second season since it opened.

And during the reconstruction of SH1 which was severely damaged by the recent Kaikoura earthquake a new cycleway is being developed in parallel to the highway. I rode this section a few years ago and the scenery is simply stunning but it is the main north-south highway and the heavy traffic did detract from the experience. I'm sure this new cycleway will prove very popular as well.

As usual, Australia could learn a lot about tourism promotion from our neighbours.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:46 am

Just found a nice article on how small communities in North America are gearing up to accommodate ever growing bicycle tourism through small villages throughout the Country.
This can be a saviour to small rural communities in Australia if the Governments can wake up and realise that we have so much to offer the Bicycle Tourist.
I was interested to read though the very last comment on the article where Ken Thompson from Thompson Consulting wrote in reference to cycle touring in Australia and was met with one comment from Chris Juden "not coming so long as I have to wear a helmet"
So our mandatory laws are affecting our tourism and it seems it might be well know about the land downunder.

http://bicycletimesmag.com/spend-cycle- ... mmunities/

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:52 am

brumby33 wrote:So our mandatory laws are affecting our tourism and it seems it might be well know about the land downunder.
Helmets are mandatory in New Zealand too, but that doesn't stop people from visiting in droves to cycle the bike routes. As previously posted I've been there and seen it for myself.

There is another thread for helmet discussions. Let's keep it that way.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:15 am

Yeah Ron, that was just a side comment i got from that article...wasn't meant to start a helmet debate but it's obvious that some folks from overseas are deterred.
I can't see the issue really...providing it's comfortable, I often forget i've got it on.
The main reason I put this up was about the opportunity in tourism in small towns.

Cheers

brumby33
(Dave)
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:52 pm

If we want to promote Australia as a cycle touring destination it would be better to start acknowledging and disseminating information about the efforts that are underway here.

For instance in in my neck of the woods funding has recently been announced for the remaining undeveloped section of the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail. The South Burnett Rail Trail is about to officially opened this weekend. It's on Facebook but needs a proper web page.

With a bit of route planning between these two organisations it would be possible to create a contiguous touring route from Gympie to Ipswich which can be accessed by train from both ends, thus avoiding the busy metro roads and the Bruce Hwy.

There is an established network of rails trials in Victoria, South Australia has the Mawson Trail and Western Australia has the Munda Biddi and Cape to Cape Trails. Tassie has the Tasmanian Trail, the Giro Tasmania and the Blue Derby MTB Trail and a host of other mountainbiking areas. NSW has recently established the NSW Coastal Cycle Trail. This looks fantastic, I'm hoping I'll be able to ride some of it at Xmas.

There is much more that can be done and should be done, but there has also been a lot of hard work put in and those communities which have taken the initiative are beginning to reap the benefits. What is need now is to get the word out.