Accommodation and bicycle hire in or near Le Bourg d'Oisans

Cyclophiliac

Accommodation and bicycle hire in or near Le Bourg d'Oisans

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:37 pm

I'm looking for accommodation and bicycle hire in Le Bourg d'Oisans, because I want to use it as my base for some Alpine cycling, probably in August next year. There's a bewildering array of accommodation options in the area, so I'm hoping that some of you who have already stayed there can pass on your information on possible options.

I'd prefer B&B style accommodation, and want to hire a bike, because taking one from/to Australia would just be too stressful for me. My main preferences for the accommodation are:
  • reasonably comfortable beds.
  • free wifi that works (doesn't have to be super-fast, just reliable).
  • breakfast included.
  • anywhere in or near Le Bourg (i.e. anywhere between Allemond and Le Clapier).
  • secure bike storage (this is probably the most important feature).
  • can't think of anything else to add to this list, but if I left something out, feel free to mention it!

As for the bike hire, I'm just looking for any road bike with 50/34 front and 11..28 (or 32) rear, endurance geometry, drop bars, reasonably light, i.e. nothing out of the ordinary really.

Regards & thanks,

--- Victor.

wicksey

Re: Accommodation and bicycle hire in or near Le Bourg d'Oisans

Postby wicksey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:10 pm

We stayed with Phil from morethan21bends.com

They also hire bikes out of their shop, prompt.cc

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:34 pm

wicksey wrote:We stayed with Phil from morethan21bends.com

They also hire bikes out of their shop, prompt.cc

Thanks for the info, I checked their web site, and it looks like a pretty good option.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:04 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:I'm looking for accommodation and bicycle hire in Le Bourg d'Oisans, because I want to use it as my base for some Alpine cycling, probably in August next year. There's a bewildering array of accommodation options in the area, so I'm hoping that some of you who have already stayed there can pass on your information on possible options.

I'd prefer B&B style accommodation, and want to hire a bike, because taking one from/to Australia would just be too stressful for me. My main preferences for the accommodation are:
  • breakfast included.
  • can't think of anything else to add to this list, but if I left something out, feel free to mention it!

As for the bike hire, I'm just looking for any road bike with 50/34 front and 11..28 (or 32) rear, endurance geometry, drop bars, reasonably light, i.e. nothing out of the ordinary really.

Regards & thanks,

--- Victor.

For bike hire, try these guys:

http://www.francebikerentals.com/Madone-95

They hired out bikes to a lot of people recently, including someone I was riding with. Pretty nice bike as well.

They've got a new Emonda as well, 6.35kg:
http://www.francebikerentals.com/2018-Emonda-SLR8

That's very damn light. 50-34 and 11-28, but they'll do 11-32 on it for you. 11-32 on that bike should get you up any mountains. H2 fit as well, so it should be more relaxed.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:01 am

g-boaf wrote:
Cyclophiliac wrote:I'm looking for accommodation and bicycle hire in Le Bourg d'Oisans, because I want to use it as my base for some Alpine cycling, probably in August next year. There's a bewildering array of accommodation options in the area, so I'm hoping that some of you who have already stayed there can pass on your information on possible options.

• breakfast included.

Regards & thanks,

--- Victor.

For bike hire, try these guys:

http://www.francebikerentals.com/Madone-95

They hired out bikes to a lot of people recently, including someone I was riding with. Pretty nice bike as well.

They've got a new Emonda as well, 6.35kg:
http://www.francebikerentals.com/2018-Emonda-SLR8

That's very damn light. 50-34 and 11-28, but they'll do 11-32 on it for you. 11-32 on that bike should get you up any mountains. H2 fit as well, so it should be more relaxed.

Thanks for the tip. The Madone-95 is way out of my preferred price range, although I'm sure it would be nice to ride. This one
http://www.francebikerentals.com/Emonda-SL6
is quite nice, and a great deal cheaper, at about $440AU / week.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:49 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:Thanks for the tip. The Madone-95 is way out of my preferred price range, although I'm sure it would be nice to ride. This one
http://www.francebikerentals.com/Emonda-SL6
is quite nice, and a great deal cheaper, at about $440AU / week.

That should be a great bike. I rode on a 7.2kg weight Giant TCR with 50-34/11-32 combination and all Dura Ace except the cassette and Ultegra 8000 RD. It was fine.

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:06 am

I stayed at morethan21bends in July 2014 and it was REALLY fantastic. As well as a B&B they also have numerous apartments available for rent around the town. I started in the B&B and then moved to a one bedroom apartment right next door when the TDF came through and the B&B was fully booked. I was still able to have the nice breakfast in the B&B but was able to cook my own carb loaded spaghetti dinners in the apartment at night.

Because I was there by myself Phil also let me join his daily group rides at no charge which are great too and very social. I can't recommend morethan21bends highly enough. You have to book well in advance though and I can see why - they are really good.

I brought my own bike with me but they also rent nice bikes at a very fair price.