Where can I get a longer "post" for my handle bars

jaffaman

Where can I get a longer "post" for my handle bars

Postby jaffaman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:04 pm

Hi - I have a folder (sort of anyway) and need some help and was hoping someone in this forum may be able to help me. I have a Giatex folding bike - Image which I have just been getting into riding each weekend (and loving it).

Having done some gear upgrades, I am now working on a new seating position. Originally I had it set much like an old mountain bike I also have, with the handlebars mounted forward on a 90mm stem, saddle up about the same height as the bars, in a "standard" sort of posture, but this was causing some back pain. After doing the competitive cyclist measurements and reading on the forum, I have now gone for a much more upright position - I have shortened the wheelbase front to back and taken the 90mm stem off (yes I can do both of these on this bike). Seat is now further down, and seat is now all the way as far back as I can get it, handlebars up as high as I can - This is now much more comfortable and what I have realised is that I am setting it up to be much more like a crank-forward type bike - (though now I have a problem in that I think I want a low-rider now.....)

Anyway, until I can get a low-rider, two issues I would appreciate some comment on.

1. The only thing I can't adjust on this bike is crank to rear wheel position, so I want to try and move my seat further back to make the crank feel further forward - I assume this is as simple as a seat post with a set back (currently it has none) - is there any thing in particular that I need to watch here - i.e. is there such a thing as too far back or is it OK so long as I stay forward a bit of my rear axle? As I mentioned, I can shorten the distance between the wheels, hence moving the handlebars back, so reach issues are not a problem.

2. The handlebars mount to a 28.6 mm post, 220 mm long, which inserts in the same sort of way as a seat post does to my handlebar quick release folding hinge. My new favourite position has me out past the minimum insertion point to get the right height on the handlebars - does anyone know where I can get a longer post here (I don't even know what to call it). Because I bought the bike to fold and put into the back of my car, I don't want to replace the flat handle bars with chopper type bars if I can avoid it, which I know would be another way to get the height I am after. I know I could also get a seat post and modify it to suit, but the handlebar post I have is thinner and lighter than my seat post (which is presumably because it doesn't need to carry the load) and I thought I would try and see if I could get a similar but simply longer one first. My problem is that I can't find any place on line that sells anything like this, presumably because a removable handlebar post is not part of any "normal" bike.

I was hoping someone here might have some hints - any ideas greatly appreciated.

Pedalhead

Re: Where can I get a longer "post" for my handle bars

Postby Pedalhead » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:43 pm

Hi Jaffa

a lot will depend on your current mounting as to what you can use.
Stem Raisers
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/stems/index.html

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:44 am

Thank you for the reply - all I need is a longer 28.6mm post to fit into the mounting - the forks attach on the top to a hinge which has a pipe into which this fits - I think a lot of folders are like this, but it's a bit hard to explain without some photos, but I am gathering from the lack of replies I should probably just try and bodge something from a seat post, which should work.

Thanks again.

Wild Turkey

Postby Wild Turkey » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:25 pm

Go for a sissy bar and banana seat!

That will get you back where you want to be.

It will also give you a sore ass.

jaffaman

Postby jaffaman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:26 pm

Thanks wild turkey - I have thought about the sissy bar and banana seat option. I do have two of these folders, (one for the wife but it isn't used so often) so I might just give it a try on hers one day.... :D .... give me a chance to see how I go with it.