Coupla Greazefest photos

sjdonne

Coupla Greazefest photos

Postby sjdonne » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:57 pm

I have added a few Greazefest photos I took. I entered my custom bike "Nefarious" in the lowrider comp, I didn't win but had a good time, there were a couple of ratrods and more lowriders and I think my bike was the only one basically built from scratch. Don't get me wrong, I really like the lowrider bicycle culture, but I think I need to enter my bikes in competitions aimed more at complete bike builds, I don't know if there is this sort of comp but I don't think my bikes stand a chance against the lowriders, cant leave without commenting on all the sexy girls with their 50's style tattoos and fashions and there was also some pretty cool dudes around as wellImageImageImageImage

harry76

Re: Coupla Greazefest photos

Postby harry76 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:30 pm

What won? I went and saw your bike and agree with you 100%. Im the opposite, im more into the ratrods and not so much the cruisers, but your bike by far had the most work, and nicest quality.

I entered my Briggs Ladies Bike and my Villiers Beach cruiser, but unfortunately i fell about a day short of finishing the Briggs and had trouble with transporting it there so i didnt take either. I was really kicking myself i didnt take my Villiers bike. Oh well next year. Good luck in the future at shows. We really need seperate classes but unfortunately we dont have a big enough culture yet.

sjdonne

Postby sjdonne » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks Harry, I saw officials take an rego form of the bike in my third pic so I think that might of won, I left before the end. Could you briefly explain a ratrod bike for me because I am really starting to like the ratrod bicycle pics I am seeing on the net and I would like my building to go that way, Rowd

harry76

Postby harry76 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:46 pm

A ratrod bike means a lot of things to a lot of different people i guess. Its hard to define and a lot of people dont even like the term ratrod. Your bike is a cruiser, very slick and minimalistic, your bike has ratrod characterisitics like the shifter, but the paint on it sorta excludes it from being a ratrod. But thats just my opinion, many may disagree or have their own definition. The bike you thought won was definitely more "ratrod" then yours, maybe thats why it won.......imo there was a helluva lot more work in your bike. but your bike had that modern feel to it.

Patina is a word you will hear in ratrod talk, that is usually original paint that is well weathered, i.e surface rust, faded paint. Many you see even recreate this look.I built a couple of bicycles but soon got into motorized bikes. If you looked around the show many VWS had a ratrod style to them. Hope that helps....

I entered my Villiers motorized bike but didnt end up taking it, it was to be judged with the bicycles in King Lowrider. Im sorta kicking myself i didnt take it and have a chat to the other bike builders, none of my friends or anyone i know share this hobby/passion i have.... oh well next year...

I would class this bike as a ratrod based on a boardtrack style bikes from the early 1900's, the engine is a villiers 98cc from the early 50's. If i were to paint it with nice shiny paint i wouldnt class it as a ratrod> the wheels and tyres are nicely painted and the rest of the bike is left to rust. Much like you see with ratrods/hotrods

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:00 pm

harry76 wrote:I would class this bike as a ratrod based on a boardtrack style bikes from the early 1900's, the engine is a villiers 98cc from the early 50's. If i were to paint it with nice shiny paint i wouldnt class it as a ratrod
I would almost call that "steam punk" in style.. the undercurrent of brass & copper in the finish and the finish of a lot of the fixtures almost suggest 50 or so years earlier than the 1900s ;) Good work
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.