Electra Straight 8

rdwaltonut

Electra Straight 8

Postby rdwaltonut » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:03 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has one of these and how well it rides. I am looking at getting one, and would love feedback.
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." -Yoda-

hewey

Re: Electra Straight 8

Postby hewey » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:44 pm

They're great bikes from new. Assuming its new or well looked after it should ride really smooth. If its second hand watch out for ones left outside in coastal suburbs where it may have copped salt laden air and is likely to have a bunch of surface rust. These kind of bikes are a bit of a bitch to ride up decent hills with the geometry, weight and gearing, but that's why they're called cruisers. :wink:

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:44 pm

They look great in person, at least 3 speed, saw one in the bike racks at work stood out, not too many sweet bikes other than mine (heehe) but then it's a cruiser not a commuter as said. I think of this Electra frame style one has more feet forward pedals (Rat Fink, Ghostrider?) and S8 same as another alternative of same frame.
Beware a few different frame and brake specs over the years, I've read steel, 6061 alloy, 7005 alloy, don't know what's really kicking about or weight differences.
If you're really tall try it on for size they don't seem super roomy, e.g. Nirve seemed roomier.

rdwaltonut

Postby rdwaltonut » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:57 pm

I am tall, but not so tall as to make small things uncomfortable. I bend and flex well. I am impressed with the look of it and am really excited to finally see one in person, whenever that is. There is one LBS here that stocks Electra, but they don't have one on hand. I might check stores when I go the the US next week.
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." -Yoda-

cray-

Postby cray- » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Electra Flat Foot Technology: http://www.electrabike.com/Technical/el ... technology" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Explains how the angles and pedal position make for a comfier ride for adults.

Nice bikes, bit exxy but if you're not a DIY type then they're a pretty cool option.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:04 pm

Recumbent riders would tear their remaining grey hair out reading that 'technology' =D

It does show the simple crank forward distance that conventional lowest pedal point would be off the ground, so now feet touch ground instead of pedal. I had already tried the TykeToter child seat on the A2B Metro with similar foot forward geometry, wanted more flat footing so opted for as stretched as I could find in the Basman 346 like this that showed me what I wanted. I tried the Rat Fink, Nirve and other Electras all at the same time and thought if going cruiser go all the way

rdwaltonut

Postby rdwaltonut » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:40 am

That is absolutely awesome. I finally found a LBS that carried the Straight 8 and sat on it for the first time. I am completely in love with it. the way it sits, How I feel on it, and I am sure that once I get it, the ride will just be so relaxed. I have found myself pushing hard and fast on my roadie, no matter how relaxed I want the ride to be. This will definitely help

miko68

Postby miko68 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:17 am

I Picked up mine on Saturday, love it!