The home of 'cool'
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
Have been building this one on and off over the last year or so, she's stalled a bit of late due to other stuff
getting in the way, here is the build diary started around May 2012
Going to have a go at building a push bike something like this, it's a Zundapp used by the German army during
WW II sort of stand off scale, hopefully I'll get her done in the time? So sketch first and a bit of planning.
Been a model maker for some time, so got a 1/24th scale kit of the bike to get an idea on some of the details.
Bit more planning with pencil on paper.
Drew up a scaled up plan for the frame, just slightly smaller than a real one.
Donor bike and some bits of steel for the frame.
So here is the front section of frame, mounted up on a jig of plywood with nails to hold it's position.
Multi pie cuts to get that aggressive curve in the lower frame, will be tricky to weld. The top end not so difficult
Here are the frame parts pretty much ready to be welded together, hopefully soon.
Feel like I have done a lot but not got far, at least I have a rolling frame! So here is a bit of a mock up of the
beginnings of this bike. Yep she will be chunky, yep she will be a little heavy but hey weight will mean momentum
right! Took a bit to hold all this together and get her welded.
Here is how I got around those fine pie cuts front lower frame, covered them with a plate and welded
the edge of the plate.
Here is the front end, that little stork will be for the gear lever. Will run the gear and brake cables
down the centre of the upper lengths.
The rear of the frame just behind the seat post to the start of the donor frame section that I used.
Had a few headaches getting this section right, you can see my finger pointing to the rear of the
frame where I put a cut to bend the section down.
The bars are some stock cruiser bars with a short length extending them slightly.
No fancy mig or tig welder for me, old school arch welder low amps and 2mm rods and blast a few
holes then fill them! Most people who have mig welders here have real problems with feed as the
salt air creates corrosion on the coil of wire and it doesn't feed well, none of these problems with
arch. Now take it easy on my welds folks, far from a master. Also notice the rust, only welded up
a couple of days ago photographed this afternoon, the salt air thatsurrounds me doing its stuff!
Here she is all mocked up, at least she looks a bit like the real thing.
The chrome fenders will be painted.
Working light is just a cheapy torch, the wartime bikes had shades so they couldn't be seen so well at night.
As I pulled here down I took a pic with the rear seat off, looks okay like this I think.
From here a bit more welding, and a heap of sanding and filling of the ply bits, then paint and assembly
can see the glow at the end of the tunnel!
So a bit of slow progress, seem to have done a lot but doesn't look like much, lots of filling and sanding
to get to where she is now at least it is all one colour!
She will be a two seater like to original but will spend sometime as a single seater as I think she looks
better with out the second seat.
That's a Honda CT 90 headlight surround and a VW oil filler cap topping off the fake tank.
The little box on top of the tank was used for storage on the original, seats will be covered eventually.
The original had heat shields on the muffler, I am using them to stop the passengers feet getting stuck
in the spokes. The foot pegs again from a Honda CT90
Yep good question, got "around it", scuse the pun, the real ones had
good clerance between the tyres and guards as they where used off
road a fair bit, won't have real fats on this one, 125s only.
Shame it's so hard to fit decently chunky rubber on a pushie. Apart from that it looks like a very interesting built. Amazing what a bit of bog/bondo, sandpaper and primer can do. Look forward to seeing more progress.
Plodding away on this one managed to get a bit more detail on her getting close to paint.
Used an old trailer hitch for the passenger handle, scrap foam and paint on the seats.
Really wanted a taillight close to to original, so scratch built this, an old can and some plywood.
Bit of bondo and some sand paper got me close.
Finally a shifter from a couple of VW Beetle heater cable levers.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users