Original Malvern Star dragster - what's it worth?

ryangus

Original Malvern Star dragster - what's it worth?

Postby ryangus » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:02 am

I have an original yellow 3 speed Malvern Star dragster.

I bought this about 8 years ago, because my parents could never afford to buy me one as a kid . At that stage, it had never been ridden. The pedals had never been attached (they were still wrapped in a 1976 edition of a Sydney newspaper). It still has all original equipment, including white wall tyres. Nothing has been replaced.

Foolishly, I couldn't help myself, and rather than keeping it in mint condition, I was compelled to ride it. Which I did. Once. I realised instantly this is not a daily rider, both conceptually and practically.

Even more foolishly, I've let it gather some light surface rust on the rims and mud guards. I'd hope to think these are repairable or replaceable. Otherwise, it's in fantastic condition.

I now deciding whether to sell it, or donate it to a museum or something. Money talks, and if I get an offer I can't refuse, the museum misses out.

So, any idea what this beast would be worth?

ryangus

Re: Original Malvern Star dragster - what's it worth?

Postby ryangus » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:02 pm

No one?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:37 pm

Whack it on eBay to find out what it's worth. Depending on condition they sell between $100 for a complete but rough version to upwards of $500 for excellent condition.

What did you pay when you bought it? Add a little bit for inflation, take some off for wear and tear.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Malvernrats

Postby Malvernrats » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:33 am

Mine was immaculate - rebuilt , resprayed no decals . But amazing . Sold for $350

Malvernrats

Postby Malvernrats » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:34 am

Also depends if it's a long frame , and the original 'divot' frame made by Malvern Star , later models were sourced from China as the demand got higher .

ryangus

Postby ryangus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:36 am

Malvernrats wrote:Also depends if it's a long frame , and the original 'divot' frame made by Malvern Star , later models were sourced from China as the demand got higher .
How do I work this out?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:53 am

This looks is a long frame

Short frame, that will be mine when I can get it picked up.

Long frame with a divot at the front of the thin tubes that run forward of the seat stays (don't know what they are called properly) I don't really know, but Google tells me so, so it must be true.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ryangus

Postby ryangus » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:54 pm

Alas, no divots, but is does appear to be a long frame. Incidentally, it's in as original condition, apart from light surface rust on the chrome. Any idea on the best method to restore this?

All the paint and decals are as new.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:27 pm

Do nothing but make it ridable. Restoration is only for junkers. If it looks good and used then it should stay that way...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:44 pm

rideable AND shiny. Give it a clean and polish, regrease bearings as required, air in tyres. Def keep the original paint, parts and stickers.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:58 pm

I know where there's a shed with many crusty examples but I know not how many are actually MS...and even fewer would be my size. Must check one day though.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Elvisidal

Postby Elvisidal » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:10 pm

$40 each for a bare frame on gumtree somewhere around Maitland.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:52 pm

I've bought and sold a few. The latest was pretty rusty, but no holes in the frame, had no sissy bar or banana seat and a cheap modern set of wheels with completely worn out tyres for $50.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:39 pm

ryangus wrote:Alas, no divots, but is does appear to be a long frame. Incidentally, it's in as original condition, apart from light surface rust on the chrome. Any idea on the best method to restore this?

All the paint and decals are as new.
Light surface rust is often quite easy to remove. Try polishing with Autosol first. There are other things to try after that, but there is no risk of creating any harm with Autosol and a cloth.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:15 pm

Gosh. I thought this was a joke but others have sold recently for around $500

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Retr ... 3d23b225fd

I have a Family Star in good nick I am going to sell. They are going for around $50-100. Wish it was a Dragster!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:45 pm

Crikey, for that money I'd want the original plastic wrapping on it and not a mark on it. It's not complete or in flash condition either.