The Cruiser Diaries

SierraKiloBravo

The Cruiser Diaries

Postby SierraKiloBravo » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:44 pm

Hello everyone,

So, after years and years out of the saddle, a few weeks ago I bought myself a bike. In the old days I was a madcore mud monkey doing casual races, three to four hour rides in Rotorua (NZ) and generally tearing around like a crazy person. The years have gone by, married life gave me other things to do, and a cushy office job grew my waistline, but the time came to get back in the groove. To reflect my current state of being, I purchased a cruiser - a Schwinn Oceanside Cruiser to be exact. It arrived a few days after purchasing it online, and since putting it together I have been having a lot of fun on it.

It is a magnificent beast, and each weekend since building it I have been out at least once and made the most of the good weather we have been having.

We are fortunate to live close to Altona Beach, so this has formed a big part of my early rides. It sure helps a lot that there are some very good bike paths and trails, along with some excellent scenery along the way.

My second ride was a bit of an exploration attempt as I try to get familiar with the paths and trails in my area. It was fun scooting around and seeing what fun could be had so close to home.

Ride three was on a marvellous 31 degree day, and the beach was absolutely stunning.

The following week ended up being a bit more of a suburban ride. I hate riding on the road so it was not the best, and I got back onto a path as quickly as possible. Still, it was nice to explore the area near where we live and get the lay of the land and work out where paths, trails, and roads meet up and intersect.

Last weekend was my fifth ride and it was a biggie (for me). I rode all the way to Williamstown and back. I was pretty stoked to be able to do such a big ride after only a few weeks back in the saddle. Again, the weather was perfect and it was great to have some beautiful scenery to look at along the way.

It was a great ride, although I did miss a couple of spots with the sunscreen...

And that brings us up to today. One of the things I want to do in the longer term is ride from home all the way into the city on the Federation Trail. So today i decided to have another exploratory ride to see if I could hook up with the Trail.

I was able to find it relatively easily, but it did feel like I was doubling back a long way in order to hook up with it. I think I will need to look into it a bit more to see if there is a more easterly way to join up with it. Regardless, it was nice to get out again and feel the wind in my hair!

Here's to many more!

SierraKiloBravo

Re: The Cruiser Diaries

Postby SierraKiloBravo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:29 pm

It is Cup Day here in Melbourne, so we all get a day off because some horses are running in a circle. Nice.

Since the weather was good I thought I would shoot out for a quick blat on the beastie. I didn’t want to go too far so settled on a loop of just over 11kms taking in the Laverton Creek trail and continuing around to the Skeleton Creek trail.

It was a pretty good ride apart from the bloody headwind I had for a good two thirds of it!

SierraKiloBravo

Postby SierraKiloBravo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:47 pm

After a fairly brutal week in the office trenches, it was bliss to have a nice long sleep in yesterday morning. I had planned on going for a ride but felt like I had no fuel in my tank to do so. It turned into a fantasticly lazy day, something I desperately needed.

The weather this morning was sunny and warm and, with plans to go to the movies later on, it was tempting to have a another lazy one. But I decided to get my butt off the couch and get some outside time in. I just got back and feel much better for it.

I headed west today. The other day when I was looking for the Federation Trail I noticed a path that snaked under the Palmers Rd overpass so headed for that today to see where it ended up.

It snakes alongside the highway far enough away that you can’t even hear the cars and it was quite peaceful tootling along. There were a few people out for a stroll but only one of them returned my wave.

The bike path eventually became sidewalk and before long came to a complete and unequivocal end:

I guess I could have smashed through the perspex and forged my own path, but hey, I have plans later.

So with no more trail I turned around and headed home. The sun was directly above me so it was nice and warm all the way there.

One thing I noticed today more than other days out was that there seemed to be heaps of birds everywhere. Whether they were squawking in the trees, flitting across the track, or chilling on the water, there seemed to lots of them out and about for some reason.

A great ride, now off to the movies!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:25 pm

Looks like perfect cruising weather.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

SierraKiloBravo

Postby SierraKiloBravo » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:53 pm

bychosis wrote:Looks like perfect cruising weather.
Yeah man, it was a great day for it!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:55 pm

Nice photos, really makes me want to get my own cruiser project happening.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

SierraKiloBravo

Postby SierraKiloBravo » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:53 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Nice photos, really makes me want to get my own cruiser project happening.
The good news is you don't have to pay a fortune - the one you see in the pics here cost $129 on special online from Toy R Us. We went around Kmart and Big W and sat on a few to make we got the frame size right. Super stoked with the purchase.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 pm

I've got a frame like that off hard rubbish, just need to get around to stripping it down and powdercoating. I've already got a set of wheels and Nexus 3 speed hub lined up for it :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

SierraKiloBravo

Postby SierraKiloBravo » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:33 pm

Nice one! Sounds like a great project.

Check out posts 4 and 5 in this thread for an awesome refurb:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=84176" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;