Tutur gets UCI board spot

RICHARDH

Tutur gets UCI board spot

Postby RICHARDH » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:56 pm

Cyclingnews.com
Former Olympic Games gold medallist Mike Turtur will join the Union Cyclist International (UCI) board after being elected as the president for the Oceania region. Turtur will take over the position from Ray Godkin, who was his team manager at the 1984 Olympic Games where Turtur claimed his team pursuit medal.

"Ray has made a massive contribution to the sport of cycling throughout his whole career and during his 22 years as Oceania President," said Turtur. "I'm looking forward to the challenge of this role and working with the cycling community in this region and internationally."

Turtur is also the race director for Tour Down Under, a position he has held since the event's inception in 1999. The former professional rider will attend his first UCI board meeting in Holland on January 28-29, three days after next year's Tour Down Under finishes.

"Mike was a superb bike rider and is one of our greatest promoters and organisers of road and track events," said Godkin. "I've got great admiration for Mike and he will do great things for cycling in Australia and around the world in this new role."

Hopefully this will secure the spot of the TDU in the ineternational calendar
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

Chuck

Re: Tutur gets UCI board spot

Postby Chuck » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:00 pm

RICHARDH wrote:

Hopefully this will secure the spot of the TDU in the ineternational calendar
....and end his commentary career :lol: :lol:
FPR Ragamuffin

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:03 pm

In many ways the TDU is secure. I suspect the UCI is hoping the appointment will shore up their muscle in the area.

Slightly OT: Turtur is a straight shooter who knows how to call a spade a spade, knows what its for, and why they're good for hitting people over the head. He's certainly no diplomat. Whether that's a good or bad thing remains to be seen.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:09 pm

Thats my only concern. Look at McQuaid, he was probably a good guy once, now he makes statments and five minutes later takes it back and takes the oposite view. Lets hope Mike can avoid becoming too much apart of the polictical furniture that is the UCI.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)