Jerseys during training camps - confusing...

X-wing

Jerseys during training camps - confusing...

Postby X-wing » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:52 am

Hi everyone,
I was reading cycling news this morning, and I saw the story about Lance Armstrong riding with the Astana team.

At first I was a bit surprised to see that he was wearing his Livestrong and Jittery Joe's jerseys in the photos, and not Astana team kit.

But then I noticed that in the group there was a rider in Euskatel kit, and another in Lotto kit...

So, my question is, why are new riders to the team allowed to ride in opposition teams kit?

Is there some sort of rule that obliges them to wear their old team kit for the calendar year, or anything odd like that?

Or is it something as simple as someone from Euskatel and someone from Lotto just 'turning up' for the ride as well...

I doubt it is the latter, but I really am not sure why the Astana (or any other) team management would want to advertise for their rivals like this.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:59 am

I only saw the one photo with Lance and his Livestrong kit on, I thought he might have had special dispensation. That is strange why others in the training group would have competitors jerseys on.

X-wing

Postby X-wing » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:04 am

whoops, forgot to add linky...

See colourful jerseys here...

muggah

Postby muggah » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:36 pm

My guess is that the other guys are under contract til the end of the year with their current teams so they aren't allowed to wear another teams kit until their contract runs out, eg popovych.

My other guess is that lance might race in his livestrong kit, IIRC he's not being paid by astana so maybe one of his conditions was that he wears his kit as part of his global cancer fight?? It wouldn't surprise me as I'd imagine he would want to stand out from the rest of the bunch, and stock astana kit wouldn't do much in the way of reminding people why hes back to ride.
09 EMC2 Equip Elite
10 Scott Spark 40

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:02 pm

Riders that change teams have to wear their jerseys till the end of the year.
I don't think Lance is being paid to ride for Astana?...