So anywhooooo...there is a race on!!

moosterbounce

So anywhooooo...there is a race on!!

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:42 am

Did anyone actually watch the stage last night or were they too disheartened?

It was quite boring - I think we all need a transitional stage after the pointy bits. Cadel got through without problems and all riders took it as a good time to recover. Good to see a breakaway work, but it was a shame Jens didn't get it.

Also good effort by Millar and a shame he was left behind by the breakaway. I can't believe he is still riding so competitively with that sun allergy. That must be so itchy and painful, not to mention the impact to sleep. He's certainly showing a measure of toughness.

Only 3 nights to go...can Cadel pull it off? I would just like to see him get a podium to be honest - let's not add too much pressure.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:59 am

Your right about it being boring, I had a good sleep on the sofa
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:09 am

I would have thought that the teams such as Predictor Lotto would have at least tried to get Cadel some time on Contador, as to leave it purely for the TT is a big gamble ?

The dawdle finish was almost a non-event. I was lamost waiting for them to stop like they do on a track sprint and see who could stand still the longest !!!!

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:11 am

Me too. Woke up on the sofa after the finish. Watched a bit of Tom's commentary and interview and then went to bed. Flat land stages are BORING, until the sprint. I guess I only like to watch riders suffer... :?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Aushiker

Re: So anywhooooo...there is a race on!!

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:13 am

moosterbounce wrote:Did anyone actually watch the stage last night or were they too disheartened?
Well I came back and watched it and found it really quite dull, but at least I watched it.

Regards
Andrew

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:18 am

MichaelB wrote:I would have thought that the teams such as Predictor Lotto would have at least tried to get Cadel some time on Contador, as to leave it purely for the TT is a big gamble ?
I thought about that too. But if Cadel did attack or join the break away, it certainly would be followed by the Disco boys, possibly causing more suffering on Cadel. So I don't think Cadel can get away without risks given he's a marked man. It would make more sense now to recover and conserve energy to ensure a solid TT performance and possibly attack aggressively in the final stage and not leave any chance for a Disco come back.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:54 am

There's a good chance Cadel didn't have the energy for a breakaway attempt. They rarely succeed and he wasn't going to crack Contador, so not worth the risk. But are we being set up for a GC fight on the Champs De however you spell it? Is that allowed?

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:49 am

I stayed up to watch the stage, but maybe I should have slept instead and just watched the highlights tonight, after the excitement of the mountain stages it wasn't exactly rivetting. I did wonder myself why the GC contenders didn't make any attempt to get into a breakaway, but I figured that if they tried that they'd be chased very hard by the peloton and have very little chance of staying away and getting anything in return for all the extra exertion.

It is looking like the GC might still be in the balance come the final stage, which could make for some very exciting racing through the streets of Paris. As I understand it that's pretty rare in the history of the Tour, generally the GC podium places have effectively been already decided and the high placed riders can take it easy. Not quite so unusual to still have the green jersey up for grabs in the final stage though, resulting in a good sprint finish.