Giro

Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a España, Tour Down Under and more

Re: Giro

Postby Loosenutt » Mon May 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Chuck wrote:Spinner vs Grinder, chalk another one up to the spinner.


From Cadel's Blog/Diary:

"With the gearing, all the serious guys rode 'compact' crank sets, usually a 34 in front from what saw. I had a bit of trouble with the large spacing between the gears. Not something that is usually a problem climbing. With yesterday's effort in the legs, I rode a big larger gear than preferred. Not the right way, but when it's the only way..... "

...could explain some of the grinding, awesome effort though. It is like riding a 10km version of Old Bathurst Road :D
I hope there are wheels to suck in Brisbane :P
Image
User avatar
Loosenutt
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: Sydney-->Brisbane

by BNA » Mon May 24, 2010 9:29 pm

BNA
 

Re: Giro

Postby Chuck » Mon May 24, 2010 9:29 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Cadel had 34/27 combo on and Basso had 36/29.


Much in it ??
Image
FPR Ragamuffin
User avatar
Chuck
 
Posts: 4208
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:19 pm
Location: Hiding in the bunch

Re: Giro

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 24, 2010 9:33 pm

Loosenutt wrote:
Chuck wrote:Spinner vs Grinder, chalk another one up to the spinner.


From Cadel's Blog/Diary:

"With the gearing, all the serious guys rode 'compact' crank sets, usually a 34 in front from what saw. I had a bit of trouble with the large spacing between the gears. Not something that is usually a problem climbing. With yesterday's effort in the legs, I rode a big larger gear than preferred. Not the right way, but when it's the only way..... "

...could explain some of the grinding, awesome effort though. It is like riding a 10km version of Old Bathurst Road :D


He's maybe referring to the fact that they were running 52/34 on the front..not recommended...chain catchers all round with that jump.
Basso had an 11-29...big jumps there!...certainly a bit of mix and matching going on.
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14327
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Giro

Postby Parrott » Mon May 24, 2010 10:17 pm

Loosenutt wrote:
From Cadel's Blog/Diary:

"With the gearing, all the serious guys rode 'compact' crank sets, usually a 34 in front from what saw. I had a bit of trouble with the large spacing between the gears. Not something that is usually a problem climbing. With yesterday's effort in the legs, I rode a big larger gear than preferred. Not the right way, but when it's the only way..... "

...could explain some of the grinding, awesome effort though. It is like riding a 10km version of Old Bathurst Road :D


Trouble is he always seems to be the rider out of the saddle first on the climbs and last back into it. Whenever you see him losing touch on a climb he is out of the seat slogging away in a relatively large gear while the riders going quicker are in the seat spinning away. He is out of the seat in a bigger gear far more than those around him, I would love to see him spin more :? maybe it just doesn't work for him.
Last edited by Parrott on Mon May 24, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Parrott
 
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:45 pm

Re: Giro

Postby The Womble » Mon May 24, 2010 10:30 pm

My bad on the dbl post. iphone piece of crap!
I remember Lemond being the Godfather of all grinders and he did well out of it in the 80's and beyond. Technique and the bio science has seen the elite evolve beyond that now IMO. Cadel clumbs like a dinosaur and it sucks.
At least the TT will favour his style if hes recovered. Itll be a looooong day staying up to watch stage 16 tomorrow
User avatar
The Womble
 
Posts: 3395
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:46 pm
Location: Brisbane QLD

Re: Giro

Postby shiv » Mon May 24, 2010 11:19 pm

The Womble wrote:My bad on the dbl post. iphone piece of crap!
I remember Lemond being the Godfather of all grinders and he did well out of it in the 80's and beyond. Technique and the bio science has seen the elite evolve beyond that now IMO. Cadel clumbs like a dinosaur and it sucks.
At least the TT will favour his style if hes recovered. Itll be a looooong day staying up to watch stage 16 tomorrow



Apparently it doesnt work for everyone. There was once a guy that rode ok that wanted to learn how to spin to keep from being dropped by his great rival on climbs. The rival would dance away on the pedals as he rode away while poor Jan just had to watch him disappear as he kept grinding. He tried to learn to dance but to no avail, he just could never beat the rival
shiv
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: 17th green, Glenelg Golf Course

Re: Giro

Postby HAKS » Tue May 25, 2010 6:45 am

Interesting quote from Sassi, Basso & Evans Coach on Cyclingnews;

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sassi-t ... e-zoncolan

Cycling News wrote:It was widely noticed that Basso preferred to climb the Zoncolan sat in the saddle, while Evans, who admitted in his blog that he had to ride a bigger gear than he had wanted, was often out of the saddle using his power to get up the climb.

Sassi explained the two different rider's styles.

"They have two very different styles. Ivan prefers to ride in the saddle, often even more agile than he did on the Zoncolan. I personally think that's a weakness and we've tried to get him to work on getting out of the saddle and going over his threshold. Evans is more used to working over his threshold because of his past as a mountain biker."
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
User avatar
HAKS
 
Posts: 2320
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Canberra, AUS

Re: Giro

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 25, 2010 7:01 am

HAKS wrote:
Cycling News wrote:Evans is more used to working over his threshold because of his past as a mountain biker."


And that was quite a mountain... TT will be good, lets see what it does to the GC.
User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Giro

Postby damonik » Tue May 25, 2010 8:35 am

Specialized S-Works Roubaix (With electronic Ultegra, oooo the boogey man)
damonik
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Giro

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 25, 2010 8:40 am

I guess regardless of how any of the guys did, to climb that mountain after a really fast appraoch and other mini mountains, (let alone the racing already done) it was bloody impressive.

Cadel's thighs are huge !!!!

I'm still confident he can win it !!!!

Go CADEL !!!
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6824
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Giro

Postby sogood » Tue May 25, 2010 8:44 am

HAKS wrote:Sassi explained the two different rider's styles.
"...we've tried to get him to work on getting out of the saddle and going over his threshold."

Why would the coach try to get the riders to go above their threshold on a sustained climb? Wouldn't that just pop them sooner? :roll:

Anyway, my choice of CT setup on my bikes are fully justified. If pros need 34 to climb mountains, then mortals need the 34 to climb hills. :oops:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 16898
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Giro

Postby philip » Tue May 25, 2010 8:46 am

After a bit of digging I found the stage 16 ITT start times

If I've done the time conversion correctly Cadel will be starting at 12:19am AEST.
User avatar
philip
 
Posts: 1604
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Lane Cove, Sydney

Re: Giro

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 25, 2010 11:49 am

philip wrote:After a bit of digging I found the stage 16 ITT start times

If I've done the time conversion correctly Cadel will be starting at 12:19am AEST.


If only I had live feed, I'd stay up and watch it....

No, I'm not getting up on the comp, I'd tape it and get up early and watch it ... :lol:
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6824
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Giro

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 25, 2010 11:51 am

Chuck wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Cadel had 34/27 combo on and Basso had 36/29.


Much in it ??


From Sheldon, the 34/27 combo is 33.1 Gear Inches, whilst the 36/29 is 32.6.

It's only about 1.5% less on Basso's bike, but he certainly seemed to be spinning quite a bit higher cadence ?????
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6824
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Giro

Postby igstar » Tue May 25, 2010 1:51 pm

MichaelB wrote:If only I had live feed, I'd stay up and watch it....


Plenty of live feeds in English on the net.
igstar
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:54 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Giro

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 25, 2010 3:29 pm

igstar wrote:
MichaelB wrote:If only I had live feed, I'd stay up and watch it....


Plenty of live feeds in English on the net.


Not enough BB feed data, and not smart enough to record it to watch back. I'll survive with the delayed telecast 8)
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6824
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Giro

Postby toolonglegs » Tue May 25, 2010 3:35 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Chuck wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Cadel had 34/27 combo on and Basso had 36/29.


Much in it ??


From Sheldon, the 34/27 combo is 33.1 Gear Inches, whilst the 36/29 is 32.6.

It's only about 1.5% less on Basso's bike, but he certainly seemed to be spinning quite a bit higher cadence ?????



I wonder if Cadel was using the 27 thou or grunting the 25?.
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14327
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Giro

Postby Chuck » Tue May 25, 2010 4:29 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Chuck wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Cadel had 34/27 combo on and Basso had 36/29.


Much in it ??


From Sheldon, the 34/27 combo is 33.1 Gear Inches, whilst the 36/29 is 32.6.

It's only about 1.5% less on Basso's bike, but he certainly seemed to be spinning quite a bit higher cadence ?????


Thanks Michael. Yes the difference in cadence was marked.
Image
FPR Ragamuffin
User avatar
Chuck
 
Posts: 4208
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:19 pm
Location: Hiding in the bunch

Re: Giro

Postby HAKS » Tue May 25, 2010 4:44 pm

sogood wrote:Anyway, my choice of CT setup on my bikes are fully justified. If pros need 34 to climb mountains, then mortals need the 34 to climb hills. :oops:
\

:lol: same here! I can justify installing my compact cranks now. I just gotta say "hey the pros rode compacts in the Giro so it must be cool" :P

I agree Cadel looked like he was grinding something other then a 27. Has anyone ever seen Cadel spin apart from going down the hills?
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
User avatar
HAKS
 
Posts: 2320
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Canberra, AUS

Re: Giro

Postby Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones » Tue May 25, 2010 8:58 pm

Maybe Cadel needs one of these in his jersey pocket......

Image
User avatar
Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones
 
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:46 am
Location: Stirring the pot.

Re: Giro

Postby AUbicycles » Wed May 26, 2010 6:04 am

Burt, he had one of those in his pocket - now sitting in fourth - champion effort and well done to Porte for holding on.
User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8895
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Giro

Postby Chuck » Wed May 26, 2010 7:10 am

AUbicycles wrote:now sitting in fourth - champion effort and well done to Porte for holding on.


+1 to both :D
Image
FPR Ragamuffin
User avatar
Chuck
 
Posts: 4208
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:19 pm
Location: Hiding in the bunch

Re: Giro

Postby jules21 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:04 am

this is shaping up as a classic Giro..

does anyone know a website that shows the stage profiles?
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8536
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Giro

Postby Drunkmonkey » Wed May 26, 2010 9:19 am

jules21 wrote:this is shaping up as a classic Giro..

does anyone know a website that shows the stage profiles?


http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/93rd-giro-ditalia-gt
Drunkmonkey
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Giro

Postby whitey » Wed May 26, 2010 9:58 am

So there are still a couple of mountain stages to come. Is there time for Cadel to win? Seems like he just bites a minute or so out of the gap each stage, is amazing stuff for someone like me who is new to cycling to watch.
whitey
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:30 pm
Location: East Sydney

PreviousNext

Return to International and National Tours and Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter