Tdu 2011 !!!!

Sumichino

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby Sumichino » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:01 pm

Merely pointing out the similarities. Having to avoid large numbers of dismounted riders is not good. Same with having to walk up a steep hill in cleats. I don't think people should act like it's a race either.

alex

Postby alex » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:38 pm

the gorge road climb will thin out the bunch a bit but i still agree that there will not be a whole lot of riding opportunities up the KOM on that day due to the foot traffic

per the guy above, the sportif version of the tour of flanders is exactly the same, people bang on about the climb all year and on the day they have to walk because of the traffic
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

bionic wombat

Postby bionic wombat » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:43 pm

check out street view of Checker hill road on google !

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:16 pm

Will be interesting, as it's not a wide road.

I left in one of the early groups this year (about 20 min early) and there was still bucket loads of riders on Fox Creek Rd, with many weaving all over the place, and it was a bit iffy at times trying to hold a steady line and pace.

Checkers will be even worse, as amny will try and ride, only to try and dismount just prior to falling. Plenty of people were weezing and huffing up Fox Creek, and that was 10.5%, Checkers is 14+% :shock:

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:26 pm

alex wrote:the gorge road climb will thin out the bunch
I agree here...after the Gorge Climb we rode for decent lengths of time without seeing anybody and Fox Creek this year when I rode up it was pretty much just a single line of riders, and they will probably close the whole road up and down Checkers (as they did for Menglers Hill 2 years back) so there will be two lanes for riders to get up the climb. Given how quickly 5000 plus riders get spread out over several km of road I doubt there will be any major bottlenecks. Granted you will still find people having to walk up the hill, but it wont be like some of climbs in the Etape rides in Europe where literally thousands or riders all arrive at the base of a climb at the same time making it impossible to ride up the hill even if you wanted to.

Anyway, I am going to try and get up that way on Monday with my 39/27 combo
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

shiv

Postby shiv » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:48 pm

Lets just hope all the weavers/walkers stick to the left like they did on fox creek and the dam climb.

I dont care how much it hurts, I will NOT walk!!! EVen if it means blowing up majorly later in the ride :D

nickl

Postby nickl » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:31 pm

I've entered the complete route (I think correctly) in Google Maps: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3797646. It shows it at 132.5 km, but there was a bit between Ashbourne and Strathalbyn that I could have got wrong (the route description didn't make sense)

Over the right hand side there is a link to display the elevation per km, which makes for some interesting viewing.

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:53 am

There is no way I'm riding the challenge tour again, but I might go sit on the side of Checker's to watch the carnage :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:13 am

Dahondude wrote:

Anyway, I am going to try and get up that way on Monday with my 39/27 combo
Pending weather and time available, might do the same. But with 34/27 :lol: :? :roll:
DanielS wrote:There is no way I'm riding the challenge tour again, but I might go sit on the side of Checker's to watch the carnage :D
Main reason being ?? Jersey SNAFU ? Food & Water SNAFU ? Cost FUBAR ?

Even the pro's looked like they were working hard to get over it.

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:56 pm

MichaelB wrote:Main reason being ?? Jersey SNAFU ? Food & Water SNAFU ? Cost FUBAR ?
Combination of all of the above! I also didn't feel safe at many times last year -- my main fear was on main roads when riders were pushing into oncoming traffic.

I did the ride in 08, 07, 06 and 05 and it was a lot better for those years. I think there are just too many people now.

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:59 pm

I think that the trick to getting up Checkers in one piece is to go REALLY slow at the bottom where its still easy. Then by the time it gets hard, you've still got plenty of energy in reserve. Its within easy riding distance of Adelaide, so go practice it a few times if you're not sure!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:21 pm

DanielS wrote: I did the ride in 08, 07, 06 and 05 and it was a lot better for those years. I think there are just too many people now.
I hear ya. The riding skills of some people were not real good, esp. with treatinmg oncoming traffic with disdain. I have done the last 3, and am seriously thinking about the suggestion that Dahondude mentioned.
DanielS wrote:I think that the trick to getting up Checkers in one piece is to go REALLY slow at the bottom where its still easy. Then by the time it gets hard, you've still got plenty of energy in reserve. Its within easy riding distance of Adelaide, so go practice it a few times if you're not sure!
Make sense. For me, it would be get in low gear and grind on as long as you can and hope fior the best.

For me, its an 82km round trip from home. A good 3 hour jaunt.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:38 pm

Hmmm Im still not very good at working out hill grades :?

Anyone ridden around here and there to compare? I dont think I'll be there for this ride but im trying to get my head around what local hill is close to the same.

I only discovered my roadie has a compact crank last week :lol: Ive never bothered looking into this stuff before.

SeanB

Postby SeanB » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:25 pm

if you're thinking of coming over for the tdu then i'd say go for it. it's a pretty nice time to be a cyclist.
Baldy wrote:Hmmm Im still not very good at working out hill grades :?

Anyone ridden around here and there to compare? I dont think I'll be there for this ride but im trying to get my head around what local hill is close to the same.

I only discovered my roadie has a compact crank last week :lol: Ive never bothered looking into this stuff before.

Solirossi

Postby Solirossi » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:28 pm

Im going to have to get out to Checkers and ride it too see what its like. Sounds brutal. I think ill do it again in 2011, I enjoyed it this year but man that wind!!

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:42 pm

MichaelB wrote:I hear ya. The riding skills of some people were not real good, esp. with treatinmg oncoming traffic with disdain. I have done the last 3, and am seriously thinking about the suggestion that Dahondude mentioned.
Yay! Its the start of the OTHER Challenge Ride. You have to ride as far as Hahndorf or Meadows, drink at least one pint of beer, cheer the pros on, then ride back to Adelaide via Clarendon (and a vanilla slice at the bakery if its open). Now theres a cycling challenge...All of the fun and none of the hassle! I'll even get some wrong sized jerseys printed up, the logo will be "I'm riding the other challenge ride". Jerseys can only be collected in the 29 minutes prior to the ride start, sorry no refunds or exchanges.

Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:37 pm

Dahondude wrote:
MichaelB wrote:I hear ya. The riding skills of some people were not real good, esp. with treatinmg oncoming traffic with disdain. I have done the last 3, and am seriously thinking about the suggestion that Dahondude mentioned.
Yay! Its the start of the OTHER Challenge Ride. You have to ride as far as Hahndorf or Meadows, drink at least one pint of beer, cheer the pros on, then ride back to Adelaide via Clarendon (and a vanilla slice at the bakery if its open). Now theres a cycling challenge...All of the fun and none of the hassle! I'll even get some wrong sized jerseys printed up, the logo will be "I'm riding the other challenge ride". Jerseys can only be collected in the 29 minutes prior to the ride start, sorry no refunds or exchanges.

Gold !!!

Don't forget the non existent stops and clueless assiatants at the accreditation collection point.

Will there be a filthy non-representitive jersey to try at some office betwwen 1:05 am and 1:06am on Sunday morning after the ride ?

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:58 am

cant wait to ride the TDU challenge ride, as it will be even more pleasing to do it in my non TDU jersey, and not paying a cent, as a protest to the shiteful experience it was last year for most who shelled out their hardearned....

alex

Postby alex » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:28 pm

i remember last year i mentioned the challenge tour was a huge waste of $130 and pretty much nobody on this forum agreed with me at all

i now feel somewhat vindicated :)
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

alltorque

Postby alltorque » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:36 pm

alex wrote:i remember last year i mentioned the challenge tour was a huge waste of $130 and pretty much nobody on this forum agreed with me at all

i now feel somewhat vindicated :)
Well I guess those that did part with $130 had some expectations at the time.. a jersey that fits for starters..

amt

Postby amt » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:24 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:cant wait to ride the TDU challenge ride, as it will be even more pleasing to do it in my non TDU jersey, and not paying a cent, as a protest to the shiteful experience it was last year for most who shelled out their hardearned....
I agree, it will be interesting to see how many non tdu jersey's are on the course.

williamsf1

Postby williamsf1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:47 am

so what sort of time would we be talking for say an average rider?

bionic wombat

Postby bionic wombat » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:45 am

five hours ?

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:13 pm

williamsf1 wrote:so what sort of time would we be talking for say an average rider?
It depends on what you classify as average. I think I am an average cyclist but can do 100km plus rides at around 30km/h average speed so would expect to do the ride in around 4.5 hrs ride time. Otherwise 5 1/2 hrs if you ride at 25km/h average speed, 6 1/2 hrs if you ride at an average of 20km/h. I am guessing that most people would fall somewhere between those two times. So plan on it taking 6hrs of rising plus food/drink/rest stops. And this all depends on the weather...the 2010 Challenge ride I am pretty sure most peoples average speed plummeted after Milang.
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser

Sumichino

Postby Sumichino » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:33 pm

Yeah last year my average was 27-28 just before the right hand turn toward milang. Then ended up being 25.6 at Goolwa. I would be expecting around 26 for this one as there are a few more hills. Hopefully under 5 hours anyway.