Tdu 2011 !!!!

cuttsnake

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby cuttsnake » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:40 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Gavin. At this stage it's looking like I'll be driving to Gumeracha (or maybe Kersbrook) to start from there. I'm just waiting for pay day before I register :)
Cuttsy.

I've worked very hard to achieve this level of mediocrity.

williamsf1

Postby williamsf1 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:34 pm

Well the GF made it up checker hill today.... and bombed down the otherside (more impressive!!!)

looks like she could go ok!

Amy's ride will be a good warm up!!!

Another newbie

Postby Another newbie » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:44 pm

I decided last year that my Giant CRX4 wasn't up to this ride (although it made the coast to coast without issue), but a new bike is robbing me of my excuse. There seems to be some negativity around this ride, and a lot of dread around Checkers. Are these suitable excuses or should I man-up and get on with it?
Lycra - It's a privilege not a right.

cuttsnake

Postby cuttsnake » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:11 pm

Newbie, get out and have a crack at it! Start from Gumeracha if you want to avoid Checker Hill, or park the car at Kersbrook and ride to the Gumeracha start via Checker Hill if you want to tick that box without doing the full distance.
Cuttsy.

I've worked very hard to achieve this level of mediocrity.

alex

Postby alex » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:31 pm

Another newbie wrote:I decided last year that my Giant CRX4 wasn't up to this ride (although it made the coast to coast without issue), but a new bike is robbing me of my excuse. There seems to be some negativity around this ride, and a lot of dread around Checkers. Are these suitable excuses or should I man-up and get on with it?
you just need to decide if you want to pay $150 to ride with 7000 other people around you

if you think thats something you want to do, then go for it 8)
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

liamb

Postby liamb » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:24 pm

I have no personal experience but the blokes I know that gave it a shot last year say they will never do it again. Too many posers and they felt they got pushed around and told where they could stick it by the officials. They all told me to have a go at Ride Like Crazy as it is more friendly and better supported (especially by the boys and girls in blue on the road). I might try the TDU next year but I am keen for RLC this year. either way you got to give it a go to know

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

williamsf1

Postby williamsf1 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:00 pm

how is everyone going with their training!!!!!

who is going to do the triple this year???? AMYS + ride like crazy + TDU

GF has been up a few times now!!!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

liamb

Postby liamb » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:14 pm

williamsf1
you are 1 lucky bloke. I wish my wife or past gf's had been or are as keen as your gf in doing thing you like. In all the sports I have tried or got involved in it is so hard to get the girls involved. Full credit to your lady for getting into a sport that is great fun and good for your health and the health of the planet and that you like aswell. I hope to see you guys in the Ride Like Crazy.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

williamsf1

Postby williamsf1 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:10 am

G'day Bill!

yeah I have created a riding monster.... she was out in the rain all day today! (putting even more km in while I can't as I'm overseas!!!)

December is going to be a big riding month I think!!!!

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:21 am

williamsf1 wrote:how is everyone going with their training!!!!!

who is going to do the triple this year???? AMYS + ride like crazy + TDU

GF has been up a few times now!!!!!

I'm doing the triple. Going to have my first crack at Checkers this morning. Somewhat intimidated by that one but the only way to get over it is to get over it, so to speak.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:04 pm

Did it. :D
Hard work and it's going to be chaos on the MCCR. hopefully everyone can stay safe on the day.

williamsf1

Postby williamsf1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:17 am

awesome....

we will be going over the top a few times in the next weeks!!!

limetang

Postby limetang » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Its on!... got my annual leave approved so I can take part.... my first TDU ride!

Hoping to suss Checkers in the next few weeks and get a feel for it, the ill green jersey should go well with my olive coloured bibshorts!

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:01 pm

As for Willunga Hill, how early do the folks start road decorating before the race grinds through? One, two days? Or is it done whenever? Curious

betterthanwalking

Postby betterthanwalking » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:22 pm

I am going up Checkers on Sunday with a couple of the boys. Not sure if I am looking forward to that or not?? :roll:

betterthanwalking

Postby betterthanwalking » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Gorge Road, Check. :)
Checker Hill, Check. :mrgreen:

Rode down from Flagstaff to meet the boys on North Terrace before going up Gorge Road. Stopped in Cudlee Creek to refuel. Cracked on up to the bottom of Checker Hill. Regrouped and off we went. Didn't go mad on the lead up to the steep bit. You need to hold a bit back for emergencies.

I was down to 8kmh or so, on 39-25. The front wheel was popping up a little if I didn't concentrate on my pedalling form.

One of the lads has a 28 on his bike, that would be a luxury I think. Compact would work well too I think.

There's going to carnage on there in January. I managed to ride straight up but most of others were riding back and forth, mix in a load of folk walking and ........... :|

Came back down to through Gumeracha and Cudlee Creek. Totalled over 100Ks.

Glad we went up today, the weather couldn't have been better. Good cloud cover.

Gavin

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:21 pm

Well done betterthanwalking. I had to do a bit of a zig and zag last week and the guy in front had to stop (he made it eventually)right in front of me, (he called out stopping) which made the climb tricky with a group of about 12 riders. It's going to be chaos with huge numbers on the climb at the same time.

betterthanwalking

Postby betterthanwalking » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:15 pm

Thanks, I reckon getting to Checker Hill early will be a bonus on the day. The unprepared will be suffering big time.

Gavin

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:06 pm

to all of you who have do checkers hill often, do you all ride out there? or live near there? cause its one long ride there from adelaide. (and back)

I might need to get myself some gps doo-dad cause I am so going to get lost if I ride out there ...

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:29 pm

betterthanwalking wrote:Thanks, I reckon getting to Checker Hill early will be a bonus on the day. The unprepared will be suffering big time.

Gavin
Hopefully the unprepared all start at Gumeracha.

The Gorge rd will sort out the bunch pretty well so by the time you get to Checkers you'll be with riders of a similar level hopefully.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:36 pm

eeksll wrote:to all of you who have do checkers hill often, do you all ride out there? or live near there? cause its one long ride there from adelaide. (and back)

I might need to get myself some gps doo-dad cause I am so going to get lost if I ride out there ...
I drove to the city last week to meet the group and found I'd left my shoes at home :roll: I had to drive back home and eventually drove until I met up with the bunch at Houghton . This meant a detour on the return via Torrens Hill Rd while they went home via the GorgeRd, where I got lost and ended up with a 20km detour via Chain of Ponds. Then Friday I got a speeding ticket in the post for the drive to the city. This hill is going to kill me one way or the other.

If you want a similar hill near the city try Morphett Rd at Seaview Hts.

betterthanwalking

Postby betterthanwalking » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:41 pm

It's only 30ks from the start according to the route on the TDU website. You have to be able to manage that. Riding Gorge Road is no biggie, once over Checker Hill, it's practically all down hill again.

Gavin

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:54 am

you cannot be sirrus wrote: .....If you want a similar hill near the city try Morphett Rd at Seaview Hts.
Or Kensington Rd Lookout - matches the average gradient of 14+ % :o

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:04 pm

MichaelB wrote:
you cannot be sirrus wrote: .....If you want a similar hill near the city try Morphett Rd at Seaview Hts.
I have been up both, kensington seemed way steeper. Its possible that its just steeper longer. I'd say kensington is the hardest hill/steep road I have ridden up so far.

If checkers is closely comparable to kensington, I need to do some hard training ....

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:16 pm

eeksll wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
I have been up both, kensington seemed way steeper. Its possible that its just steeper longer. I'd say kensington is the hardest hill/steep road I have ridden up so far.

If checkers is closely comparable to kensington, I need to do some hard training ....
Checkers is 600m long (AT) avg of 14.2%

Kensington Lookout (steep bit) is 910m (AT) 14% avg (first 600m is only 7% - steep bit starts after swweping RH bend with island in the middle)