Tdu 2011 !!!!

MichaelB

Re: Tdu 2011 !!!!

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:11 pm

I managed 28.4km/hr for this years edition, which I was rapt because the speed along the Milang section was pretty slow. Mind you, the tailwind before hand was a cracker !!!!

I reckon that 27 - 29km/hr would be a good pace, but it all depends on the weather.

shiv

Postby shiv » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:16 pm

I dont know what we averaged on this years TDU as we had a few newbies that we waited for, but the coast to coast we averaged 29.8, 122km in 4 hours. This is including pushing the mates missus up to crafers. So Id be hoping to do 4 1/2-5 hours as long as all goes well. But like has been said, it will dpepend on weather and food stop congestion

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:57 pm

shiv wrote:I dont know what we averaged on this years TDU as we had a few newbies that we waited for, but the coast to coast we averaged 29.8, 122km in 4 hours. This is including pushing the mates missus up to crafers. So Id be hoping to do 4 1/2-5 hours as long as all goes well. But like has been said, it will dpepend on weather and food stop congestion
food stop??? sure your not thinking of some other, more organisedf ride... maybe RLC? 8)

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:32 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:
shiv wrote:I dont know what we averaged on this years TDU as we had a few newbies that we waited for, but the coast to coast we averaged 29.8, 122km in 4 hours. This is including pushing the mates missus up to crafers. So Id be hoping to do 4 1/2-5 hours as long as all goes well. But like has been said, it will dpepend on weather and food stop congestion
food stop??? sure your not thinking of some other, more organisedf ride... maybe RLC? 8)
Lets not step over the legal line here, they are ALLEGED food stops :D
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:48 pm

Dahondude wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:
Lets not step over the legal line here, they are ALLEGED food stops :D
Some of us got a banana at Strath ....

But that was it ....

Plenty of warm water too ....

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:13 pm

What??? You got a banana AND water! That's where my $130 bucks went :wink:
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser

shiv

Postby shiv » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:15 pm

Maybe I wont admit to getting bananas AND water anymore!! And I never said food stops were the 'official' ones and not a servo etc

Wino

Postby Wino » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:15 pm

As much as its probably not the done thing, I think I might be doing it unofficially next time. 130odd k's is not too major - although the hills will be interesting. I'm usually pretty self-sufficient regarding food and water. And while the police/medical support was great last year, just cant justify $145 for another top and poor organisation.

I could spend $145 on another bottle of wine! :D
09 Avanti Blade Flatbar, blue
11 BMC RoadRacer SL01, black

Trev Campbell

Postby Trev Campbell » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:25 am

I DID IT !!!!!! I was going to be in the area yesterday so I took my bike with me and made a detour to Checkers Hill. I parked at the bottom of Checkers Hill road and attempted the hill. OMG that is a steep hill. I made it......just. All I can say is thank god I have a triple. I was in my lowest gear and off the seat for the entire hill, but I made it. I was totally shagged for about the next 3 hours, so I'm not sure how I'm going to go riding the 30-40 k's to get to the hill then ride it, then do anothe 100 odd k's after it. At least I have a bit of time to improve my riding.

It was also hard going back down. I don't think I've ever been as slow down a hill. I was so scared I'd be going to fast not be able to stop and fly off the dogleg at the bottom into a paddock I was on the brakes the whole way down doing about 25-30 !!!!
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"I get paid to hurt other people, how good is that?"
"Shut up legs"

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:06 pm

Trev Campbell wrote:I DID IT !!!!!! ...
Well done.

I managed Corkscrew Rd on Sunday arvo. The lower section is a sod, and managed with 1 small break in the lower section using a 34/27 combo.

Climb as listed in hillclimbr.com took me 12:55. Not bad considering the other times on there and being a shade over 90kg too.....!!!!

Patdys

Postby Patdys » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:02 pm

I understand everybody wanting to do it unofficially.
But could i please request that the ride is actually done on a different day.
Because as flawed as it is, the pack, the cameraderie is paid for by the majority of riders.
And it is them you are ripping off by freeloading.

Yes the two TDU's i have done have had flaws, but they were still fun. And crossing the finish was good.
Why should you enjoy that on my dime?
I am actually happy to hear the other side here and debate the issue.
This year it is academic. I've just booked a week in Bright and 3km of vertical pain.
05 Azzuri Primo (bought in 08)
10 BMC Team Machine

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:47 pm

Patdys wrote:And it is them you are ripping off by freeloading.
Heres my argument I posted on another cycling forum where people were getting offended by the thought of me (and others) riding some of the route and not paying.

We aren't suggesting freeloading. It cant be freeloading if we don't use any of the resources paid for by paid entrants (toilets at start, food and drink stops, mechanical assistance etc) and don't even ride the full distance, rather choosing to enjoy a nice lunch/beer at some scenic point along the route (Hahndorf or Meadows are the likely candidates this year), watch the pros come past and then ride home (thus reducing the traffic jams leaving Strath). What would be the end result if some cyclists chose to ride some or all of the route but not pay the entry fee? No charity misses out on funds, no paid-up riders miss out on water, food, sunscreen, mechanical assistance. Myself and a number of others I know (or have read comments from on other cycling sites) simply had such an awful experience from the overall organisational side of things this year that we refuse to pay the SA Government a large chunk of money to get bugger all in terms of support. I am fully aware of the costs involved in running events such as this and would more than happily pay the $130 fee if: 1. I was GUARANTEED of getting a jersey that fits. 2. The jersey and rider pack was posted out several weeks in advance (having to pick it up on one of only 2 days in the week prior to the event is crazy). 3. The start provided suitable numbers of toilets, bag drop facilities, and an efficient registration process so that you don't need to arrive 1.5-2hrs before the start), 4. Plentiful and well organised food and water stops were provided that efficiently got cyclists off the road and through the food/water zone before funnelling them back onto the road in a safe way. 5. The finish location was suitably set up and well enough signposted that I don't have to wander around looking for food/water/toilets in a state of dehydration/hypoglycaemia on an oval buried under wind blown rubbish. 6. They got rid of those silly electronic registration chips. My friend still has his (they had packed up the de-registration chute at the finish) and to date no-one has called him or his next of kin asking if he is OK!

There is no point riding the route on another day as we ride out to watch the pros. As far as I can see, the only thing we would be taking advantage of are the police-controlled intersections and thats pretty easy to get around by riding a different approach to Gorge Rd.
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser

shiv

Postby shiv » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:15 pm

I agree with Dahondudes arguement. Id really like to properly participate in the ride again, but it seems a massive waste of money compared to other better organised yet cheaper rides. Yes the comeraderie (? spelling) is great, and the experience of riding with 7000 others is awesome, but after the first hill climb its not much different from a weekend group ride with similarly fit riders.

I guess it will be a bit of a wait and see type thing to maybe get some reassurance of an all round better experiance this year

bongo

Postby bongo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:32 pm

Trev Campbell wrote:I DID IT !!!!!! I was going to be in the area yesterday so I took my bike with me and made a detour to Checkers Hill. I parked at the bottom of Checkers Hill road and attempted the hill. OMG that is a steep hill. I made it......just. All I can say is thank god I have a triple. I was in my lowest gear and off the seat for the entire hill, but I made it. I was totally shagged for about the next 3 hours, so I'm not sure how I'm going to go riding the 30-40 k's to get to the hill then ride it, then do anothe 100 odd k's after it. At least I have a bit of time to improve my riding.

It was also hard going back down. I don't think I've ever been as slow down a hill. I was so scared I'd be going to fast not be able to stop and fly off the dogleg at the bottom into a paddock I was on the brakes the whole way down doing about 25-30 !!!!
Nice work mate, checkers is tough, once you turn the last little left hand sweeper it goes straight up, then once you think you have nailed it, to continue through to the other end, there are two other short pinches, then descend to forreston rd.I hit 70kms per hour coming down the other side just rolling.Awesome.Going to give it another crack next week on my friday off, then return home via Gumeracha,Lobethal,Norton Summit. A solid 100km ride weather permitting.

Patdys

Postby Patdys » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:19 am

Ok,

Watching the pro's.
Yep, I can see that.

Yes, the support last year was shite.
But, no worse than around the bay in a day.
I think we are actually spoiled by just how well Bikesa and the coppers organise their rides.

Yes, it is an open ride event. I guess I would question how much of the TDU you are actually riding.
50%, 90%?
At every bike event, you see the freebies pull out 500 metres before the finish. They have enjoyed the experience. Parasites.
I am not sure that the entry fee covers a bit of powerade and a couple of bananas (It sure as hell should cover drinking water). Yeah, the jerseys are cheap and nasty. But you can try them on beforehand, months beforehand. Yes, mine was too large, but i was too lazy to try it on and just based it on the previous years size (too small).

I guess, if you said i am riding some of the pro route to see the pros, then I have no argument. But if you said, I am riding the TDU but not paying because they were a disaster last year, I would struggle a little more.
10 BMC Team Machine

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:12 am

I understand Dahondudes issues, and support them 100%. Since BikeSA didn't do the support (spit the dummy over limiting the total no. of riders), last years ride org was way below average.

I also understand Patdys point, but don't quite agree if you do not use any of the facilities (if you do, then you are a parasite).

I'm still in the process of deciding what to do personally, but we'll see what happens.

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:55 am

To be honest one of the reasons I am riding that stage of the TDU and not paying the MCCT fee is NOT that I want to ride with thousands of other cyclists. When there are that many people on the road its actually less enjoyable and much more dangerous than riding the BikeSA grand slams. WHy? Because many many riders adopt a very liberal definition of two abreast ( I spent alot of the last 2 years rides on the wrong side of the road trying to overtake people) and I had so many "almost accidents" approachng and leaving feed/water stations. The real reason we want to ride the route on race day is for the buzz you get riding through all the small towns with all their TDU decorations up and people lining the route clapping us on. If all the blue and whit jersey wearing riders were not there I would not feel like I was missing out on anything. Its the same reason we ride up to Stirling to watch tat stage and down to Willunga Hill every year.

This years MCCT route is a good one up until Meadows IMHO. SO we will ride to Hahndorf or Meadows and then make our own way back to Adelaide. We will pay for our own food and water along the way, and you wont see us parading around the finish line like freeloading wannabes.

And I do pay to enter other cyclosportifs....Grand Slam and Coast to Coast and thoroughly enjou\yed them, and will be paying to enter the Ride Like Crazy too. Then I know some of my money is also going to a good cause.
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser

Patdys

Postby Patdys » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:53 pm

That sounds entirely reasonable.
I think I've seen too many people on the coast to coast peel off behind the whale center...

Best way to avoid the crowds though is be in front... :mrgreen:

No, I do not know this from personal experience.

In terms of best rides, I reckon the grandslams are right up there.
Much safer, and generally interesting routes.
Although, I wouldn't knock back less wind and rain.
10 BMC Team Machine

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:55 am

Conquered Corkscrew yesterday !!! :D :D 1 sec faster than last weekend with my heavy wheelset too, so rapt with that.

It's a good guide to what Checkers Hill is like (lower slopes anyway), so if I decide to do the TdU, I've got a good guide

williamsf1

Postby williamsf1 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:04 pm

was out to ride checker hill on the weekend, and the weather was beyond Crapola!!!!

Anyhow there was a young man called Jack riding there too ;)

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:21 pm

bad weather??? I suppose his name was Jack !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!....

williamsf1

Postby williamsf1 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:51 pm

yes the weather was fine and beaut in the city.... (saturday) but up gorge rd and checker it was very very cold, low cloud and plenty of rain!!!!

and no his name was something else ;)

bongo

Postby bongo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:53 pm

williamsf1 wrote:was out to ride checker hill on the weekend, and the weather was beyond Crapola!!!!

Anyhow there was a young man called Jack riding there too ;)
Really, I thought he would have been in europe? Or no more euro summer duties for him?

alltorque

Postby alltorque » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:43 pm

I went out to try checker hill myself today for the first time... all I can say is I just wish I didn't have that KFC last night :wink: Here's what you have to look forward to.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:46 pm

Pfffft, looks like a P o P. Whats all the fuss about .......

Really need a pic of the straight up bit .... 8)
Last edited by MichaelB on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.