Tour de France 2010

Baldy

Re: Tour de France 2010

Postby Baldy » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:00 pm

jules21 wrote: i happen to know the 'french Jamie Oliver' and he is a top bloke.
Well done.....you get a golf clap :P

I guess your bestys with Matt Preston and little Georgie too because I also think that show is pathetic! :lol:

Seriously though, I'd just rather see more of a mountain stage than more cooking. I doubt im the lone ranger on this?

And who's to say it wasnt a compliment, I might like Jamie.....under a bus

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:59 pm

Home from work, fired up the PVR for a big stage, another nail biter until the damn thing blue screened with 2kms to go! AAAAAARGH!!! :evil:
Well worth the time spent rebooting and FF back to it, great finish,

Pity I missed the Jens stack, man that bloke is a god. They need a jersey for the hardmen, red methinks. Woulda been shared between Jens and Stewie without doubt.

"Shott opp vounds, I'm going to Paris"
Respect.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Mulger bill wrote:HThey need a jersey for the hardmen, red methinks.

err, Jens jersey WAS red. At least, after his crash it was.
2010 BMC SLC01

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:25 pm

hannos wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:HThey need a jersey for the hardmen, red methinks.

err, Jens jersey WAS red. At least, after his crash it was.
I think Robbie McEwen wins the blood loss stakes with a severed artery.

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:38 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
brentono wrote:Toolonglegs,
Since an "un-written rule" is so clear to you, and it's stated...
"you don't attack the yellow jersey when they crash or have a mechanical"
It is after-all, un-written, and actually fairly vague, wouldn't hold up in court. :)
It seems, you feel, that Schleck's total f*ck-up, under pressure, at a critical stage in the race,
is a definitive mechanical, under the terms of the agreement, what makes you, so certain.
Or should we really look at what happened, a bad gear change... unable to get the chain, back on.
(and suggest the young Schleck spent time after school, putting the chain on a hundred times) :wink:
... and, not trying to claim warranties when he stuffed up. :roll:
And Contador's sportsmanship, now called into question, over one doubtful incident,
when he is clearly the best rider in the Tour, and has been so, for quite a few years?
How can it be so clear to you, when obviously it is NOT! :lol:
Maybe the "fans" need to learn a little Respect for the "Yellow Jersey"
... the yellow jersey needs to be respected :shock:
Cheers,
BrentonO
Yes it is unwritten and so rather vague...court :roll: ...I think the fact that Contador apologized for the move says he didn't like what he did either in hindsight...I am just watching and commenting on a forum... :D .
For anyone who DOESN'T understand the magnitude of Contador attacking the MJ on a mechanical, it is akin to the insult of Trevor Chappell bowling underarm on the final ball, when the NZ batting team requires 6 runs for a win.

It is THAT kind of sporting tradition - the likes of tilting the lance to an opponent in the joust.

Like calling 'engarde' in fencing.

Pistols at dawn on a misty morning as a way of settling a difference.

Pants down around the table having lost a game of pool with no balls sunk.

Every choice you make affects your man brand..... stay true gentlemen. Stay true. Contador, for two years running, has, in my mind, affirmed that his man brand is severely tarnished.

Other than that - last night, watching Armstrong launch attack after attack, to go on and contest the sprint in the final metres, justified in every way my eyeballs rolling out of my head today. THAT is what elite level road cycling is about. Love him or hate him, that was special to watch.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:16 pm

jules21 wrote:with respect, i think people who say Contador was within his rights to attack are ignorant of pro cycling culture and norms.
Just saw an interview with LA on SBS done before last nights stage, apparently he's "ignorant of pro cycling culture and norms". He didn't have a problem with Contadors attack but did have a crack at his denial that he didn't see Andy's mechanical.

Sorry jules but I think your assertion that those who have taken the alternate view are "ignorant" is off the mark. And those in the peleton are far from unanimous on this issue.
Last edited by Chuck on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FPR Ragamuffin

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:28 pm

I think Thor's efforts last night deserve a mention. I know the bunch wasn't going all out but there was lots of climbing, huge effort 8).
FPR Ragamuffin

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:56 pm

Is it just me? - I thought Chappell's underarm bowl was a stroke of strategic genius in a very close game.

It seems although there is nothing fair in love or war things in sport we're so determined to be fair that unwritten rules have a bizarre overcompensation built into them.

The interesting thing about the Chappell incident is that they subsequently changed the underarm bowling rule from unwritten to written. Like to see them try that with this one :roll:

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:59 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:
roller wrote:awesome stage tonight, would have loved to have seen the quickstep rider who was out in front for so long take the stage, we were cheering him on at least.
I wouldn't...a rider who takes a wheel off his bike then attacks another rider with it deserves to be chased down and spat out!.
I will remind you that when someone gets annoyed at you riding on road...instead of just getting out of their car and confronting you...they go and get a wheel brace out of the boot first..."hey he must be a passionate guy as he brought a weapon to the fight" :mrgreen:
That's 2 stages that the Zipp wielding maniac has "animated" I think he deserves some encouragement :P
FPR Ragamuffin

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:06 pm

And another thing... I'm not sure I understand what the "sportspersons" among us expected Contador to do. He was right behind Schleck when his chain came off, was he supposed to stop and admire the Pyrenean view for half a minute while AS sorted things out or just change down a cog and ride slow for a while??

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:51 pm

RobertFrith wrote:And another thing... I'm not sure I understand what the "sportspersons" among us expected Contador to do. He was right behind Schleck when his chain came off, was he supposed to stop and admire the Pyrenean view for half a minute while AS sorted things out or just change down a cog and ride slow for a while??
A true sportsman would have offered Schleck his bike then stayed behind to fix the chain while Schleck carried on in his yellow jersey.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:24 pm

RobertFrith wrote:And another thing... I'm not sure I understand what the "sportspersons" among us expected Contador to do. He was right behind Schleck when his chain came off, was he supposed to stop and admire the Pyrenean view for half a minute while AS sorted things out or just change down a cog and ride slow for a while??
Well actually he was about 5 seconds behind him - I'm surprised the opinion among most of the AC brigade here is that he should've gone all out like he did, because the only alternative was to literally stop and wait. He could easily have ridden at 50% until Andy caught up and then proceeded as normal. No way Sanchez or Menchov were going to make up the 2-3 minutes to get in yellow either. BTW Andy didn't lose 30 seconds sorting his chain, more like 15, but he didn't have anything like as much help going downhill as Berty did, and that's where the rest of the time came from
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:48 pm

Perhaps the Mavic Neutral Service Vehicle should be expanded into a Neutral Service Team, which is paid for by each team interested, so that if any rider has a problem, mechanical or medical, a Neutral Service Rider wearing Yellow Lycra on a Yellow Bike would be dropped into the peloton to hold their place in the line till they can get back again.

I mean people do it all the time, pay somebody else to stand in line for tickets to a Grand Final.

:mrgreen:

Joe

(I'd be happy for Jens to take MY place in the peloton)
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:28 am

Is "WWJD?" the new "HTFU" ?.

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:54 am

toolonglegs wrote:Is "WWJD?" the new "HTFU" ?.
Nice

I just watched the post race Armstrong interview. Not a happy guy.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:04 am

Fletcher wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Is "WWJD?" the new "HTFU" ?.
Nice

I just watched the post race Armstrong interview. Not a happy guy.
Its Lance. not being rude, but who really cares anymore? 8)

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:08 am

I should qualify that by adding that if he didnt crap on every time a Kodak Instamatic and anything shaped like a microphone got anywhere near him, a few more people would have probably thought more of him. Not alot, but a few. He rrally never was bigger than cycling, hes just American

Strange Rover

Postby Strange Rover » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:14 am

Im certain this point had been covered a few times in the last few pages...its not about "stopping" or "waiting" or "riding slowely" . The issue is about "attacking".

It doesent really matter what we say about fairness or rules or gentlemen or whatever because its only his reputation that is at stake and IMO the damage to his reputation is already done.

He has lost marketing appeal firstly and more importantly for him has lost respect by some (or most depending on opinion here) of the peleton.

So what will happen at some time (either this race or future races) to Bertie is he will need serious help from a non team member in the peleton for whatever reason and that help wont be forthcomming cause he "didnt respect the yellow in the TDF" and everybody will remember it. Thats why he has appologised.

Imagine if he looses the yellow tomorrow and then gets it back the same way??? Imagine if he does it again in his next big race??? And still claims that he "didnt realise" and it was "too late" At some point everybody everwhere will hate him including the peleton and he would be lucky to win another race ever!!!

Sam

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:10 am

Ill probably be booed for saying it, but Im kind of over this years race.
Im keen to see the next 3 years worth of Ritchie Porte now. God I just want to see an Aussie nudge the yellow!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:46 am

Don't give up yet.... last time I looked it wasn't over, a few more hills yet.

Richie Porte was very lucky in the Giro... (yes, he had the skill as well, though the peloton error was luck for him). We should be seeing a host of new Aussie talent coming through though many of them have to be team workers and won't all have the chance to immediately unravel as stars.
Cycling is in my BNA

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:08 am

can't agree Womble... this years Tour has been an absolute ripper, the best in years, and I thought that of last years...

pumped

Postby pumped » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:17 am

rustychisel wrote:can't agree Womble... this years Tour has been an absolute ripper, the best in years, and I thought that of last years...
I agree completely, i've been losing a lot of sleep the past few weeks :)
2010 Felt F5
2010 Giant Anthem X2

bella26

Postby bella26 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:41 am

pumped wrote:
rustychisel wrote:can't agree Womble... this years Tour has been an absolute ripper, the best in years, and I thought that of last years...
I agree completely, i've been losing a lot of sleep the past few weeks :)
After the highs of the Giro I was worried the tour would be a let down. That certainly hasn't been the case with a twist and turn nearly every stage. It's apparently pouring with rain on the Tourmalet at the moment and it is likely it will be a wet stage tonight - bring it on!
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

JV911

Postby JV911 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:54 am

i'm an andy fan but...
Mulger bill wrote:"Gentlemans agreements" have no place in professional sports. They're riding for the money, a pretty shirt is just gravy.
could you imagine schumacher waiting for alonso? :lol:

if you were to start waiting for people where would you draw the line? yellow jersey, polka-dot, green?? Do you wait for lance because he's lance? (no one waited on stage 3)

Baldy wrote:I cant stand Alberto so im biased to start with but I dont really care much about him attacking.
i dont think he really "attacked" per se - he just kept riding. andy lost about 15 seconds fixing his chain but lost a further 15 or so on the descent where he simply couldnt keep up

roller wrote:chavanel was in yellow, did saxo bank and stop and wait for him? :roll:
wasn't evans in yellow/gold at the vuelta last year when he got a puncture and valverde put time on him...where was the outcry?! :roll:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

brentono

Postby brentono » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:04 am

+1 Agree totally, and it has been close in all divisions (Jerseys) and we will see some great rivelry in the end, from each group.
For those who are not familiar with competition cycling or maybe never even saw the incident (from some of the comments, I wonder?)
From the Le Tour.Fr site
http://www.letour.fr/2010/TDF/LIVE/us/1 ... eches.html
Schleck had made the decision to attack Alberto Contador with about three kilometers to climb on the Port de Bales and although he opened up a solid advantage, he ultimately lost the battle because of a mechanical problem. His chain dropped and got wedged between his crank and the bottom bracket. Not only did her nearly crash, he had to do an emergency repair on a bike that was the same color as the jersey he would ultimately surrender in unfortunate circumstances.Contador was not going to wait around while Schleck repaired his bike and he had the support of one of the best descenders in the world for the 21km downhill to Luchon. Samuel Sanchez joined forces with Contador and Menchov to put time into Schleck who got to within 22” of the rider who began the stage 31” behind but ended it eight seconds ahead.
Can see English is not their first language, but you get the picture
Contador/Schleck affair... from my point of view.
3km from the top of the climb, Schleck attacked, Contador chased, Schleck stopped (chain jammed), up to the top Contador looked back,
(think he was still undecisive as what to do) at the top Schleck was 27" behind and in sight (Schleck lost about 40" with his chain problem around the 3km to climb mark), Schleck was coming up to the other riders, at Port de Bales, over the top, Sanchez was the best decender
and took off, Contador chased, as did Schleck, and Schleck got to within 22" on the decent. As he passes under the 10km to go sign,
Schleck is 28" behind Contador’s group, but afterwards with 5km to go, there is 34" between Contador and Schleck.
At the end Schleck was 39 seconds behind Contador, and 8 seconds away from the Yellow Jersey, that's the facts.
Now you can bend them how you like, but from my personal view, Contador did nothing technically wrong there,
and Schleck's Yellow Jersey was lost to him, in the last 10 Km's of the race.
Cheers,
BrentonO
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.