Rumors - Aussie Team for next TDF

Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a España, Tour Down Under and more

Rumors - Aussie Team for next TDF

Postby Halfanewb » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:18 am

-----------

"Australia is set to have its own team in the 2009 Tour de France after a Gold Coast based company today committed $20 million to developing the outfit. The move could mean Aussie cycling stars such as Cadel Evans, Robbie McEwen, Stuart O'Grady and Michael Rogers will be able to race under an Australian banner. The team is being backed by online travel booking company Roamfree.com which has set up another company, Pro Cycling Australia, to organise the project.

Pro Cycling Australia's CEO Dr Paul Varcoe said today the team would need Government involvement and another sponsor to become reality. "The Government has to contribute some funds and I want one more major corporate to sign on the dotted line, " he said. He said Cadel Evans, Robbie McEwen, Michael Rogers and Stuart OGrady are on record as supporting the project."

--------------

Sounds like a dream team, though it would take some time to allow for existing team contracts to lapse. Nice to see Cycling take this step (if it does actually happen).
Halfanewb

by BNA » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:46 am

BNA

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:46 am

They might have given their support but they will never all ride on the same team.
toolonglegs

Postby europa » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:55 am

toolonglegs wrote:They might have given their support but they will never all ride on the same team.

No, we couldn't afford to pay them :wink: but we only need a front end spinter and a GC contender. Good place to build the aussie brand of domestique and Stuey, seeing he's more of a super domestique these days, might be interested in working with whoever has a shot at team leadership. Maybe we can build a decent climber as well.

See, the national pressure on this team is building already :D
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:56 am

Actually toolong, they'll probably be looking for some big bloke to do destruction testing on their bikes :wink:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby timbo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:46 pm

That report came out a couple of weeks ago and I'm sure the $20 million was over 4 years, which makes a bit of difference.
It is a good kick start and you can only hope that other companies can match the offer. There have been one or two attempts in the past to get an Australian pro team up and running, and we can all hope that its not too long before it actually happens.
timbo

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:28 pm

$20m may sound like a lot, but it ain't cheap to run any sort of team.
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:57 pm

Be nice to see some of our lads in our colours.
I'd stump up some cash if they need public help...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to International and National Tours and Events