Alternate TDF awards ....

Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a España, Tour Down Under and more

Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:18 pm

All the std awards have been handed out, but here are some of mine for "other" achievements ;

Best Hard Man Award : Tyler Farrar completing the cobbles with a broken wrist
Honourable mentions : Cadel Evans, Jens Voight, Robbie McEwen and Amets Txurruka (sp ?) & Sanchez

Best Stoush : Nicholas Roche & John Gadret
Honourable mentions : Vino & Contador (chasing in Mende), Barredo & other dude in wheel fight

Best stack : Robbie McEwen (not even on the stage !!!)
Honourable mentions : Schlecks, Menchov for NOT stacking, Armstrong (his own fault)

Surprise of the Tour : Tie between Ryder & Jurgen VdB
Honourable mentions : Most of the Footon Servetto team - most of them made it !!

Disappointment of the Tour : Wiggins
Honourable mentions : Sastre, Armstrong

Most Controversial Moment : Schlecks Chaingate
Honourable mentions : Cancellara's stage neutralisation, Retirement Shacks jersey saga

Any other nominations/suggestions ?
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6824
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

by BNA » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:23 pm

BNA
 

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby Strawburger » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:23 pm

Kamikaze Animal Award: The dog on stage 1 which caused a mini pileup
Honorable mention: The sheep on stage 17 which didn't cause a crash but had a good crack at it.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)
User avatar
Strawburger
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:19 pm
Location: Dulwich Hill, Sydney

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby hannos » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:40 pm

Strawburger wrote:Kamikaze Animal Award: The dog on stage 1 which caused a mini pileup
Honorable mention: The sheep on stage 17 which didn't cause a crash but had a good crack at it.



How stupid are sheep? a whole flock couldn't bring the peloton down and yet, one dog could! :)
2010 BMC SLC01
Image
User avatar
hannos
 
Posts: 4020
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:10 pm

hannos wrote:
How stupid are sheep? a whole flock couldn't bring the peloton down and yet, one dog could! :)


The dog only brought down two riders - Basso and Millar (?)

Another honourable mention for Hardman : CVV - finished the stage despite a few broken bones/ribs.
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6824
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby hannos » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:17 pm

Still, one dog > flock of sheep.
2010 BMC SLC01
Image
User avatar
hannos
 
Posts: 4020
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby Strawburger » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Most Embarrassing Stack Award:The chap who slipped and fell down the start ramp of the ITT
Honorable mention: Lance Armstrong clipping a kerb with his pedal causing him to go down.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)
User avatar
Strawburger
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:19 pm
Location: Dulwich Hill, Sydney

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby Chuck » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:24 pm

Fairweather Riding Award: Saxo Bank for their efforts in dictating when the Peleton could and couldn't "ride" subject to the whereabouts of their leader, and their "We don't do cobbles at the Tour" stance.
Honourable Mentions: There are no other nominees in this category.
Last edited by Chuck on Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
FPR Ragamuffin
User avatar
Chuck
 
Posts: 4216
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:19 pm
Location: Hiding in the bunch

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby madrapper » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:20 pm

MichaelB wrote:Disappointment of the Tour : Wiggins
Honourable mentions : Sastre, Armstrong

Surely Basso & Cunego have to at least get a mention here.

Most Un-popular win of the Tour : Vino - gotta be the most teeth-grinding win since umm.. his win in Liege.
Cheers,
Dave
User avatar
madrapper
 
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:17 am
Location: Perth

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby Toolish » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:23 pm

MichaelB wrote:
hannos wrote:
How stupid are sheep? a whole flock couldn't bring the peloton down and yet, one dog could! :)


The dog only brought down two riders - Basso and Millar (?)

Another honourable mention for Hardman : CVV - finished the stage despite a few broken bones/ribs.


Didn't the dog bring down Hansen causing him to break his collarbone?
Image
User avatar
Toolish
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Mildura, Victoria

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Best Tourist Yukiya Arashiro - for getting photos with all the biggest names on the last day riding into Paris...true Japanese tourist!.
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14355
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:24 pm

madrapper wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Disappointment of the Tour : Wiggins
Honourable mentions : Sastre, Armstrong

Surely Basso & Cunego have to at least get a mention here.
.


Basso was crook in the 2nd week, so some excuse.

Accept Cunego - despite being in the right break several times, still couldn't win :D
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6824
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby emu legs » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:53 pm

Most consistant & hardest working Aussie Stewart O'Grady always there at or near the pointy end of the peloton doing it hard ! IMO 8)
User avatar
emu legs
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:57 am
Location: Lost

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby ft_critical » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Jackman Wheelsuck Award: Cunego, the breakaway where he did not work then tried and failed to outsprint Sandy Casar July 13, Stage 9: Morzine-Avoriaz - Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne
User avatar
ft_critical
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 pm
Location: Slowing and Fattening :-)

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:09 pm

The "What the hell was he thinking??" Award - Renshaw of course.

Honorable mention: LA for the jersey scenario
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5692
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby jules21 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:22 pm

madrapper wrote:Most Un-popular win of the Tour : Vino - gotta be the most teeth-grinding win since umm.. his win in Liege.

this is such a pity because if he wasn't a cheat, Vino would be so entertaining due to his persistent attacking. he even attacked Contador on one stage.
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8644
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:32 pm

I like this... in danger of being published on BNA - a good read that others will appreciate - objections?
User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9079
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby Jensen » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:34 pm

Strawburger wrote:Most Embarrassing Stack Award:The chap who slipped and fell down the start ramp of the ITT
Honorable mention: Lance Armstrong clipping a kerb with his pedal causing him to go down.


Honourable mention to the Astana rider who lost control while watching a horse running beside the peloton
Image
Jensen
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:38 am

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby jules21 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:36 pm

.. or Euskaltel Euskadi (sp.?) for their general lack of stability.
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8644
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby Chuck » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:22 am

ft_critical wrote:Jackman Wheelsuck Award: Cunego, the breakaway where he did not work then tried and failed to outsprint Sandy Casar July 13, Stage 9: Morzine-Avoriaz - Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne


A big +1, I was going to post something after that stage bagging him, so glad Casar beat him.
Image
FPR Ragamuffin
User avatar
Chuck
 
Posts: 4216
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:19 pm
Location: Hiding in the bunch

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby Chuck » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:29 am

jules21 wrote:
madrapper wrote:Most Un-popular win of the Tour : Vino - gotta be the most teeth-grinding win since umm.. his win in Liege.

this is such a pity because if he wasn't a cheat, Vino would be so entertaining due to his persistent attacking. he even attacked Contador on one stage.


Agree with both quotes here. A little remorse and I could have welcomed him back, we all make mistakes, but the whole "sweet revenge" thing :evil:. Maybe it's because he knows how many did it and who's gotten away with it :? He and Jan were my favorites in the peleton, I just can't warm to him now.
Image
FPR Ragamuffin
User avatar
Chuck
 
Posts: 4216
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:19 pm
Location: Hiding in the bunch

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby gdt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:30 am

Newest overused commentary phrase The "Columbia-HTC train". There's a drinking game in there somewhere: "...is leaving the station", "...is accelerating", "...has made a delivery", "...has been derailed".

Greatest overuse of technology for smallest benefit The fog on the Tourmalet live in High Definition. Runner-up: live wattage readings.

Greatest failure of technology Schleck's rear derailleur :-)

Greatest fuss over nothing Inspecting bikes for "electric motor doping".

Best ad Specialised with Contador and Schleck.

Greatest moment that never happened Contador dropping his chain during the ITT. Runner-up: the recumbent special stage.
gdt
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:36 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby gdt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:45 am

I forgot the most important:

Best jersey No award, if the Saxo Bank jersey starts to look good then things are seriously wrong.

Worst jersey Footon, no contest.
gdt
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:36 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:21 am

Best Jersey... I think BMC and Sky have nice kit.


100% with you on the live wattage reading... it needs to be better graphed/plotted rather than just random low or high numbers appearing.


I have heard voices that the Schleck derailleur derailment may have been human error ...... Crunch.... shouldn't have shifted.
User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9079
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby ft_critical » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:46 am

jules21 wrote:.. or Euskaltel Euskadi (sp.?) for their general lack of stability.


Sorry Jules that is out-of-line. They are not more prone to crashing, it is just that because their jerseys are bright orange, they are more noticable in a crash. :roll:
This one is up for the worst excuse. Someone should give some more thought to that category because there were some lame excuses during the tour.
User avatar
ft_critical
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 pm
Location: Slowing and Fattening :-)

Re: Alternate TDF awards ....

Postby jules21 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:39 am

ft_critical wrote:
jules21 wrote:.. or Euskaltel Euskadi (sp.?) for their general lack of stability.


Sorry Jules that is out-of-line. They are not more prone to crashing, it is just that because their jerseys are bright orange, they are more noticable in a crash. :roll:
This one is up for the worst excuse. Someone should give some more thought to that category because there were some lame excuses during the tour.

sorry ft, i don't get. which is the worst excuse, that their orange jerseys made it seem like they were crashing more?
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8644
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Next

Return to International and National Tours and Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit