What australian tv station shows the classics?

Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a España, Tour Down Under and more

What australian tv station shows the classics?

Postby razorth » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:22 am

Hello everyone.

First of all i would thank for what must be the best worlds ever.

Being norwegian and a cycling fan this was huge.

Im moving to melbourne with some mates to study in Jan 11,
and some of us are big RR fans. In that case I was wondering what networks/stations in australia show roadracing? Im mostly interessted in
the grand tours and the spring classiscs.

thanks.
razorth

by BNA » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:46 am

BNA

Re: What australian tv station shows the classics?

Postby hannos » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:46 am

Generally SBS if any.

Might be an idea to source an online feed for them though as televising cycling doesn't seem to be a big priority here in Australia :(
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby JV911 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:17 am

hannos wrote:televising cycling doesn't seem to be a big priority here in Australia :(

getting better though! - SBS showed a stack of races this year i.e. paris roubaix, gent wevelgem, ronde van vlaanderen, Dauphiné Libéré, Liège-Bastogne-Liège, Milan-San Remo, Amstel Gold, the grand tours, plus many of the local tours and others like the tour of cali, oman etc. ONE HD is starting to show more races too :mrgreen:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

JV911

Postby Chuck » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:03 pm

JV911 wrote:
hannos wrote:televising cycling doesn't seem to be a big priority here in Australia :(

getting better though! - SBS showed a stack of races this year i.e. paris roubaix, gent wevelgem, ronde van vlaanderen, Dauphiné Libéré, Liège-Bastogne-Liège, Milan-San Remo, Amstel Gold, the grand tours, plus many of the local tours and others like the tour of cali, oman etc. ONE HD is starting to show more races too :mrgreen:

+1 Jeremy :)

So the free to air options are SBS or One HD.

Other options are streaming online or pay TV such as Foxtel, Austar etc.
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby WarrenH » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:18 am

Eurosport International covers the major Tours including the lesser Tours like the the Tour of Qatar, the Presidential Tour of Turkey and the Tour of Britain, amongst others. They broadcast all the one-day Classics from Europe. They also have all of the MTB World Cup for both 4X and Downhill and show a few of the World Cup XCO events (but not that many) and they broadcast all events of the World Cup BMX.

Eurosport doesn't show the Tour de France here Oz because of the long-term licence agreements with SBS.

They often show the events several times in the following day/s so you can catch up with the races, if you fall asleep at 2am during a live coverage.

I've Eurosport on cable through TRANSACT ... for the last 3 years, they have been great.

Eurosport have excellent commentators, Dave Harmon, Sean Kelly, Magnus Backstedt (my favourite). Dave Harmon the anchor, say stuff like, Contador is total jerk, no one in the peloton likes him, I don't like him. I appreciate Harmon's honesty ... it is most refreshing. Kelly has all the recounts of the famous days and Backstedt coaches everyone listening. Backstedt has his own cycling team, so he is right on the issues.

Laurent Fignon who died just recently was a Eurosport commentator. When Fignon died it was a black few days on Eurosport. Fignon was Sean Kelly's close Mate. Their tribute to Fignon was a tear jerker.

Eurosport is first class for all cycling fans.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.
WarrenH

Postby sogood » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:53 am

JV911 wrote:getting better though! - SBS showed a stack of races this year i.e. paris roubaix, gent wevelgem, ronde van vlaanderen, Dauphiné Libéré, Liège-Bastogne-Liège, Milan-San Remo, Amstel Gold, the grand tours, plus many of the local tours and others like the tour of cali, oman etc. ONE HD is starting to show more races too :mrgreen:

Mostly if not all are extended highlights though. Not sure if that's satisfactory for the OP.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:32 am

How much is Eurosport ?

Can you get it if you don't have any other Pay TV service ?
MichaelB

Postby JV911 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:48 am

sogood wrote:Not sure if that's satisfactory for the OP.

beggars cant be choosers :D (well apparently some don't like chicken sandos but that's a whole other story)

eurosport is the other option but you have to get foxtel basic plus the sport package which is about $70 a month
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

JV911

Postby cjawnik » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:07 am

My only disappointment with Eurosport is that we get the International channel, which usually means only 1.5 to 2 hours (or less) at the end of the race. Would love it if we in Australia could get at least 4 hours of every race starting at 9pm. As mentioned above, the commentary team(s) on Eurosport are the best, and I could listen to them for many many hours.

Or give us British Eurosport HD if there's any Foxtel reps reading :)
cjawnik

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:00 pm

JV911 wrote:eurosport is the other option but you have to get foxtel basic plus the sport package which is about $70 a month

Bugger that then. I'll make do with SBS & Ten and save $840/yr
MichaelB

Postby sogood » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:38 pm

MichaelB wrote:Bugger that then. I'll make do with SBS & Ten and save $840/yr

With the very generous ADSL2+ data quota offered these days, streaming video is the way to go. When will Apple TV offer HD cycling channels? ;)
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Return to International and National Tours and Events