New Shot at Aussie Team

Aushiker

New Shot at Aussie Team

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:49 am

Hi

There are new rumours/stories emerging on a new Aussie team approach with an alignment with Cycling Australia.
Cycling Australia’s largest sponsor has confirmed that he is part of a group considering backing a top-level Australian team in the near future. Gerry Ryan, owner of Jayco caravans, is expected to make an announcement during the Tour Down Under (January 18-23).

“It's not only me. There are several high-profile businessmen around that have been talking to each other," Ryan told The Sydney Morning Herald. “To be sitting in Paris [at the Tour de France] and have that Australian flag on a team car would be ideal.”...

Ryan also explained that the Sky template of a ProTeam with close links to a national federation is one that any new Australian team would be likely to follow. He believes such a model would be of benefit in the development of young Australian talent.

"That's a model you try and benchmark yourself on,” Ryan said. “It's no different to [Australian Rules team] Collingwood, the guns in nurturing bloods. Look at some of the sports science they are doing to get that edge.
"
- Cycling News

Andrew
Andrew

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Shot at Aussie Team

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:59 am

GreenEDGE Cycling will launch on Monday 17 in Adelaide and they are aiming for a Pro Team license in 2012
Cycling is in my BNA

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

New Shot at Aussie Team

Postby im_no_pro » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:07 am

I'm hearing Robbie McEwen is Potentially gonna be a part. Not sure how with his joining radioshack and all.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:43 pm

im_no_pro wrote:I'm hearing Robbie McEwen is Potentially gonna be a part. Not sure how with his joining radioshack and all.
They'll be up and running next year :wink:
FPR Ragamuffin

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

New Shot at Aussie Team

Postby im_no_pro » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:49 pm

Chuck wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:I'm hearing Robbie McEwen is Potentially gonna be a part. Not sure how with his joining radioshack and all.
Last I heard (out if his mouth a week or so ago) jayco bay classic next Jan was prob going to be the end of him.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:59 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Last I heard (out if his mouth a week or so ago) jayco bay classic next Jan was prob going to be the end of him.
"coaching or mentor/type role"

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/australi ... 19rfx.html
FPR Ragamuffin

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:43 pm

Cycling news coverage

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/greened ... down-under

Sounds good to me and perhaps a little better planned then another certain team. Fingers crossed!
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

timbo

Postby timbo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:35 am

Gerry Ryan of Jayco is a very successful businessman who will handle to financial side of things very well.

I hope the team is very successful.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

New Shot at Aussie Team

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:42 am

Chuck wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:
Chuck wrote: They'll be up and running next year :wink:
"coaching or mentor/type role"

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/australi ... 19rfx.html
Ahh. Makes sense now :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:43 am

Hi

Does anyone know who GreenEDGE is or is this just the name given to the team?

Andrew
Andrew

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:56 am

For interest, max 75% of riders would be Aussies. This is realistic as teams struggle when the are limited to riders from just one nation.

On GreenEdge, Jayco apparantly wont be the title sponsors (so it would be a long shot if they had a link of enviro friendly caravans). Couple of greenedge vegetarian / organic shops / supermarkets in Australia. I think it is just a name.
Cycling is in my BNA

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi

They have a website now to go with the campervan :) It can be found at http://www.greenedgecycling.com/

Andrew
Andrew

JV911

Postby JV911 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:56 am

timbo wrote:Gerry Ryan of Jayco is a very successful businessman who will handle to financial side of things very well.

+1

I'd like to see some big corporate sponsors get behind the team. Santos would be a good fit having sponsored the TdU for a few years and i'm sure lindsay for, packer, murdoch could spare a few mil.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

gdt

Postby gdt » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:54 pm

The problem with sponsorship of an Australian team is that the sponsors need to be an Australian corporation with international ambitions, otherwise the name on the jersey makes no marketing sense.

It doesn't make much sense for a mining company -- they would be better off wining-and-dining their customers as a form of marketing rather than advertising to sports enthusiasts (who's direct purchase of coal and iron ore is rare). Santos's sponsorship of the TDU is better explained as a form of SA government lobbying rather than marketing.

It would make sense for some classes of product. For example, for sheer cheek alone a sponsorship of a TdF team by the Australian Wine and Brandy Corporation would get coverage. But the marketing budgets of Australian-owned wineries is very small.

Higher education would make sense, except that cycling coverage in their markets of China and India is low.

It would make sense for a surf clothing manufacturer, if their strategy to counter Nike's move into surf clothing is to move into sports and street clothing more widely.

It would make sense for Qantas. Although their marketing people probably shudder with every "Qantas" and "crash" in the same sports section headline.

As you can see, the list of companies for which is makes sense is pretty short. And that's without considering the possibility of it all going horribly wrong (eg anyone think Festina got value for money for their sponsorship?).

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:59 pm

JV911 wrote:
timbo wrote:Gerry Ryan of Jayco is a very successful businessman who will handle to financial side of things very well.

+1

I'd like to see some big corporate sponsors get behind the team. Santos would be a good fit having sponsored the TdU for a few years and i'm sure lindsay for, packer, murdoch could spare a few mil.
Gerry Ryan has a few fingers in a few different pies - he will get the $$$.

Expect the team to ride Bianchi's :mrgreen:

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:15 pm

gdt wrote:The problem with sponsorship of an Australian team is that the sponsors need to be an Australian corporation with international ambitions, otherwise the name on the jersey makes no marketing sense.

It doesn't make much sense for a mining company -- they would be better off wining-and-dining their customers as a form of marketing rather than advertising to sports enthusiasts (who's direct purchase of coal and iron ore is rare). Santos's sponsorship of the TDU is better explained as a form of SA government lobbying rather than marketing.

It would make sense for some classes of product. For example, for sheer cheek alone a sponsorship of a TdF team by the Australian Wine and Brandy Corporation would get coverage. But the marketing budgets of Australian-owned wineries is very small.

Higher education would make sense, except that cycling coverage in their markets of China and India is low.

It would make sense for a surf clothing manufacturer, if their strategy to counter Nike's move into surf clothing is to move into sports and street clothing more widely.

It would make sense for Qantas. Although their marketing people probably shudder with every "Qantas" and "crash" in the same sports section headline.

As you can see, the list of companies for which is makes sense is pretty short. And that's without considering the possibility of it all going horribly wrong (eg anyone think Festina got value for money for their sponsorship?).
A surfing clothing brand will never be a sponsor - totally wrong market, they will get nothing out of it.

Skinz will be there, Altitude Technology Systems may also be there.

gdt

Postby gdt » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:41 pm

JV911 wrote:Gerry Ryan has a few fingers in a few different pies - he will get the $$$.
I'm not doubting he can do it. But it is difficult, otherwise there would be a team already. And doing it where others have failed makes it even more impressive.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:07 pm

Santos export Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) into Europe, so maybe not such a bad sponsorship after all.

Otherwise tend to agree, not a lot of big business in Australia would find it overly alluring unless they win a TdF or something amazing!

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:23 pm

gdt wrote:As you can see, the list of companies for which is makes sense is pretty short. And that's without considering the possibility of it all going horribly wrong (eg anyone think Festina got value for money for their sponsorship?).
Certainly not me I tried selling "Festina" they had no idea as a company of Aussie wear & tear on wristwatches, we replaced so many, sold the final stock, cheap without warranty.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi

BikeRadar is reporting that GreenEdge Cycling will be riding American bikes, Scott bikes in fact.
New Australian road team GreenEDGE have announced they've signed a "multiple year" deal to ride Scott bikes. This season they'll be using the F01 aero road bike and Plasma 3 time trial machine.

The men's and women's ProTeam squads (but not the men’s Continental squad) will also be equipped with Scott helmets – the Vanish for road racing and an as-yet-unnamed new aero lid for time trials.
Andrew
Andrew

shiv

Postby shiv » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:34 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi

BikeRadar is reporting that GreenEdge Cycling will be riding American bikes, Scott bikes in fact.
New Australian road team GreenEDGE have announced they've signed a "multiple year" deal to ride Scott bikes. This season they'll be using the F01 aero road bike and Plasma 3 time trial machine.

The men's and women's ProTeam squads (but not the men’s Continental squad) will also be equipped with Scott helmets – the Vanish for road racing and an as-yet-unnamed new aero lid for time trials.
Andrew
Cav and Renshaws used bikes by looks of it.

Still pretty though

roller

Postby roller » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:39 pm

saw an ad today in a liftout from the fin review inviting people to register their interest in sponsoring greenEdge, one of the selling points was "200 days of racing per year, including the Tour De France"

interesting marketing strategy.
inflammatory statement or idea

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:43 am

This new video interview with Shayne Bannan of GreenEdge in Holland was passed to me from a Dutch friend.

Cycling is in my BNA

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:49 pm

"including the Tour De France"

:shock: Thats confident for a team without a UCI licence.

That said, it would be awesome if they make it.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:43 am

Bannan eyes wealth of Australian talent up for grabs in 2012

As Shayne Bannan's GreenEdge project ramps up its efforts to gain a UCI ProTeam licence for 2012, a perfect storm is brewing as top teams fight to hold on to their Australian talent. For the riders themselves, it may be a case of once bitten, twice shy.

It would no doubt be a mouth-watering prospect for Australian riders to be linked with a home-grown team, however it is a move that comes with some trepidation, especially following Pegasus Sports' failed bid to create Australia's first-ever ProTeam or second-ever Professional Continental outfit.

Bannan accepts that given that a number of seasoned professionals were caught out by the Pegasus collapse, it's not going to be an 'easy' decision to jump ship to a team in its infancy

continued...
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->