2011 Giro

MichaelB

Re: 2011 Giro

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 13, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks nyeholt.

Anyway, back to racing - sad to see Millar struggling so much on that last climb to the finish - the crash at the intermediate sprint obviously hurt him bad !!

Even Kohlet struggling up the strada bianchi climb looked painful (sorta reminded me of how I must look when I climb ... :oops: ).

The next stage - a short 110km with a 17km long climb (but not steep) at the end will be interesting !!!

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:18 am

riding up Mt Etna on Sunday will be intersting...it's errupting!

:shock:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri May 13, 2011 10:41 am

JV911 wrote:riding up Mt Etna on Sunday will be intersting...it's errupting!
Being an active volcano with constant activity, I am not sure this "eruption" is anything extraordinary. While the Giro PR machine can leverage any of these regular activities to promote the race and make it sound exciting. Pretty convenient. ;)
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

igstar

Postby igstar » Fri May 13, 2011 11:03 am

sogood wrote:
JV911 wrote:riding up Mt Etna on Sunday will be intersting...it's errupting!
Being an active volcano with constant activity, I am not sure this "eruption" is anything extraordinary. While the Giro PR machine can leverage any of these regular activities to promote the race and make it sound exciting. Pretty convenient. ;)
This latest erruption is serious enough to force the local airport closure. According to the Italian national Institute of geophysics and seismology, the latest blast has opened a new crater on the eastern slope of the volcano, which then began to spew lava and volcanic ash.
I hope it doesn't disrupt the Giro though.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Fri May 13, 2011 3:20 pm

Hmmm, we have a marked increase in performance during a grand tour that should show up in the seismology passport. The UCI's zero tolerance policy, on spewing molten rock onto the road behind the riders as motivation has upset some in the sport and is being used by some teams as evidence for the need for race radios. " How can we warn the riders to duck and cover to protect themselves!" said Saxobank's Bjarne Riis " How do you think I lost my hair! I would never have survived the Krakatoa eruption without race radios"

I vote we send fat Pat up to take a sample personally.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:47 pm

igstar wrote:This latest erruption is serious enough to force the local airport closure. According to the Italian national Institute of geophysics and seismology, the latest blast has opened a new crater on the eastern slope of the volcano, which then began to spew lava and volcanic ash.
I hope it doesn't disrupt the Giro though.
i was there in 1999 - is still have video footage somewhere of a 2m tall wall of lava flowing slowly across the rd :shock:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 13, 2011 10:00 pm

Hi

ProBikeKit are promoting Wouter Weylandt Benefit Fund tee-shirts with all the profits from the sale of same going directly to the fund that Leopard-Trek has established for his family. Details here.

Andrew

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat May 14, 2011 11:38 am

I assume he is clean. This being the case, I really hope Scarponi gets a reward, even the GC, this year. His form in races this year has been excellent. Milan San Remo and Tirreno. He has been really animating races.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon May 16, 2011 9:37 am

Good run by that Belgian to suck wheel behind Contador.

Too bad Mt Etna didn't show off her fireworks. What a lovely stage.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

philip

Postby philip » Mon May 16, 2011 9:50 am

Stayed up to watch stage 9, was disappointed no one could go with Contador, is the rest of the Giro going to be boring now? I know there's still a long way to go but I can't see him losing it with the time gap he has on other GCs.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon May 16, 2011 9:59 am

philip wrote:Stayed up to watch stage 9, was disappointed no one could go with Contador, is the rest of the Giro going to be boring now? I know there's still a long way to go but I can't see him losing it with the time gap he has on other GCs.
Without other top end GC riders challenging Contador, this Giro never promised to have major sparks. And then there's fair chance Contador will get stripped if he wins.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon May 16, 2011 10:19 am

i have little doubt that Dertie is far and away the strongest rider, but the Giro is so brutal that anything could yet happen. it will be interesting to watch how it plays out.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon May 16, 2011 10:22 am

jules21 wrote:i have little doubt that Dertie is far and away the strongest rider, but the Giro is so brutal that anything could yet happen. it will be interesting to watch how it plays out.
Until Contador loses the lead, I'll be more interested in the battle for second.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue May 17, 2011 9:23 am

nyeholt wrote: In all honesty, I think all the other riders are deliberately riding for second too, on the hope that Contador is excluded. Scarponi was the only one who even tried to go with him - I can imagine that everyone will be riding against people who aren't Contador, and to an extent letting him ride his own race.
It will be interesting if indeed that is the case.

Betting on hime getting excluded and making sure you don't blow yourself up trying to keep up with him.

Mind you, anything can happen, especially with those "bleeding carrots" to pen a Gerrans comment.

Zoncolon stage will be interesting.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:27 am

it would be a poor tactic. no one remembers oscar pereiro

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue May 17, 2011 10:42 am

jules21 wrote:it would be a poor tactic. no one remembers oscar pereiro
There's prize money to be had for all on the team for coming second, and a chance to become first (if Contador gets booted). Blowing one's engine by chasing Contador will get nothing.

brentono

Postby brentono » Tue May 17, 2011 11:17 am

Contador, the best rider in the Giro, states...
... because most eyes are on me and the whole world is watching what I do,” he said.
“I don’t think that’s going to change the behavior of my rivals. ”
Go! :mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:40 am

i thought mark renshaw was driving the HTC sprint train, but apparently his team manager has come out of retirement to replace him :shock:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cycling/ ... z1MkZbYAqT

British sprint ace Mark Cavendish won the 10th stage of the Tour of Italy, a 159km ride from Termoli, on Tuesday just hours after he was accused of cheating by two of his rivals.

Spain's controversial three-time Tour de France champion Alberto Contador retained the leader's pink jersey.

Cavendish, who edged out sprint rivals Francisco Ventoso and Alessandro Petacchi in the finish, had earlier been accused by two opponents of being towed up Mount Etna in Sunday's stage.

Cavendish arrived just 25 seconds inside the stage cut-off point, which had he missed would have meant the end of his participation in the race.

"He should only be happy that he's still in the race, he should have been disqualified for being attached to the car for a long time during the climb on Etna," said Spanish Movistar sprinter Francisco Ventoso.

"It's shameful, everyone else kills themselves to get to the top inside the cut off time while someone else holds onto a car without the authorities intervening."

Garmin sprinter Murilo Fischer added on his Twitter page: "Incredible, he says he wants to win a stage at any cost and he does 10km holding onto a car."

Cavendish himself refused to comment according to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Thu May 19, 2011 12:43 pm

This is the descent of the Monte Crostis at the GIRO - Possibly one of the most dangerous descents on the Pro Tour circuit !!

Patrick Jonker

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:50 pm

the riders should just agree on a voluntary speed limit :)

elantra

Tour of California !

Postby elantra » Thu May 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Turn the TV on tomorrow morning for brilliant coverage of this event on SBS TWO.

Well actually it has been on for a few days now but i only "discovered" it this morning.
This mornings live telecast covered about the final 60 km of a splendidly scenic stage.
Through some twisty hills with fog and cloud hanging off the ridges, a bit reminiscent of the Montville ranges here.
It is on SBS TWO from 7-9 am for the rest of this week.
Worth watching if you are able to.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 19, 2011 1:54 pm

jules21 wrote:the riders should just agree on a voluntary speed limit :)
Pretty crazy at speed with that rough surface. Neutral zone is what's needed.

scotto

Postby scotto » Thu May 19, 2011 5:03 pm

jules21 wrote:i"It's shameful, everyone else kills themselves to get to the top inside the cut off time while someone else holds onto a car without the authorities intervening."

Garmin sprinter Murilo Fischer added on his Twitter page: "Incredible, he says he wants to win a stage at any cost and he does 10km holding onto a car."

Cavendish himself refused to comment according to La Gazzetta dello Sport.
i heard a post race interview where Cav responded saying it was crap, and that everywhere he goes theres a camera and a commissaire. he made the point that his team in this giro wear an Italian flag on their numbers signifying that there have been no infringements or penalties for the entire team...
he seems to have won that one too. !