2011 Tour de France

Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a España, Tour Down Under and more

Re: 2011 Tour de France

Postby martinjs » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:19 am

How did they manage to get her anyway, it's not like she has nothing else to do. They wouldn't have know who was going to win with only 2 days to go.
I think she did a great job and of course it goes with out saying Cadel did a bloody marvellous job. :D

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
martinjs

by BNA » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:31 am

BNA

Postby CommuRider » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:31 am

Reliving the vid moments

www.sbs.com.au/tourdefrance

BTW, have been searching for the launch of the Tour where the teams were displayed and Contador got booed. Anyone know where I can watch it?
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby Hangdog98 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:02 pm

winstonw wrote:
Redbull wrote:That rendition of the anthem made me cringe.

I cringed. The anthem can be sung fast or slow.
Slow is when it is all about the singer in front of a bunch of Aussies.
Fast is when in front of an international audience.
She did it slow.

I loved it. I loved that it was an Aussie Ex-Pat, now Parisian who sung it. I loved that Cadel made his speech in French then in English. I love the way the French people embrace Aussies. When I went to the tour I found the French to be crazy about Aussies and I'm sure the relationship has only been strengthened by Cadel's tour gracious winning speech and Tina's stirring rendition of our National Anthem. Cadel is a true statesman and I felt that he honoured his countrymen with the way he carried himself on the podium, as did Tina with her performance. After all, we could have got the basic youTube version of our boring old anthem plugged into the PA through an iPod like everybody else does.
Hangdog98

Postby tomness » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:08 pm

Martinjs wrote:
How did they manage to get her anyway, it's not like she has nothing else to do.

There is an interview with her on ozcycling. Apparently she called up the ASO on the morning of the final stage and asked to do it. She is pretty popular in France so it seems they were happy to accomodate her request.
tomness

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:25 pm

CommuRider wrote:BTW, have been searching for the launch of the Tour where the teams were displayed and Contador got booed. Anyone know where I can watch it?

I haven't had a proper look but there might be videos at http://www.therobbyy.com/wp/?page_id=40

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby goneriding » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:31 pm

I'd rather the Lance-esque local rides! Something like a paceline down to Waterfall and back! It'd be a very long one!

One in each City/Regional Centre.
goneriding

Postby wombatK » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:42 pm

CAAD9_Dan wrote:What do others think of her 'AFL' idea? (sorry I had to vent! Feel free to make another thread in regards to this issue if required)

Totally with you CAAD9_Dan. It's really casting pearls before the swine, and at the very least ambush marketing.

At the risk of upsetting the die-hard AFL fans... Cadel and cycling deserve not to play second fiddle to a sport that has no prescence on the world stage.

It would be much more fitting for something special and cycling to be done. Like a celebratory community bike ride through the city in each capital. The more that could be involved, the better - but if that worries the traffic authorities, maybe limiting it to club members or a nominated subset of them would be good.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby Redbull » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:12 pm

winstonw wrote:

She did it slow.

Hey I didn't say that.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass
Redbull

Postby CommuRider » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:25 pm

Aushiker wrote:
CommuRider wrote:BTW, have been searching for the launch of the Tour where the teams were displayed and Contador got booed. Anyone know where I can watch it?

I haven't had a proper look but there might be videos at http://www.therobbyy.com/wp/?page_id=40

Andrew

The vids start from Stage 1 so good way to catch up on some early stages. Just found out the presentation was held at Le Puy du Fou will look for vids on there.

Edit: home video here for 90 minutes in French

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRaORKhMy7U
CommuRider

Postby bostonceltics » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:00 pm

tomness wrote:
Martinjs wrote:
How did they manage to get her anyway, it's not like she has nothing else to do.

There is an interview with her on ozcycling. Apparently she called up the ASO on the morning of the final stage and asked to do it. She is pretty popular in France so it seems they were happy to accomodate her request.

Awesome, I think she did a sweet job, way better than the usual anyway!
bostonceltics

Postby martinjs » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:27 pm

jules21 wrote:
wagr1213 wrote:Cadel Invited by AFL to attend the Grand Final - Now seriously they must be joking, just the appropriate dead head crowd hes likely to want to get up in front of!

Here We Go Here We Go Here We Go !!!!!

nah, not at the GF. none of the deadheads get a ticket, it's all the MCC members and corporate ticket holders. "ooh look janis, i'm sure i've one of those BMC bikes cadel rides somewhere in the garage. damned if i can remember where i got it from, though"

Soo true, tickets are hard to get and very expensive. While in Melbourne I got offered some for the time in the 90's where Carlton ended up winning. Good price of $150 each, but with a family it was to much to justify. :( Yep no bogans there!

Martin
martinjs

Postby winstonw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Redbull wrote:
winstonw wrote:

She did it slow.

Hey I didn't say that.

sorry .... fixed it. must have parsed the wrong author within the multiple quotes.
winstonw

Postby Hangdog98 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:47 pm

At the risk of upsetting the die-hard AFL fans... Cadel and cycling deserve not to play second fiddle to a sport that has no prescence on the world stage.

I live in Sydney and I don't know anybody who follows or knows thing one about AFL. I've seen it on the news sometimes and I have no clue why anybody would follow it (or Sydney's mobile man-grappling they call football).

I was watching Garry Sweet today on cable TV in some re-hashed episode of Getaway and he was reviewing a tour of the tour route up the Col d'Izoard. He said something like 'The tour de France is right up there with the AFL grand final'. I nearly choked, he must be kidding. Could it be that Victorians are so deluded and think that anyone else besides suburban melbournites have any interest in that obscure and bizarre ball game?

The celebration should be for Australian cycling and all the people who created, supported and participated in the framework that allowed the AIS to foster and develop the skills and competitive spirit that lead to Cadel's historic win in Paris. From the U17 mountain biker who pays his CA licence fees and supports the bicycle industry to the super athletes who have access to millions of dollars of AIS equipment in Canberra and abroad to bring out their best. We all shared in Cadel's great victory in some way and resisted the pressure to chase a man with a ball around a field to achieve sporting recognition.

I reckon a ticker tape style parade (without the ticker tape obviously) down George Street, Sydney with Cadel on his BMC (and any team-mates that could make it) flanked by a million cyclists wearing yellow. We could call it the Australian tour de France Legion, (or AFL for short).

When he gets to Melbourne maybe they can have him at the Victorian football thing and he can throw the first pitch or whatever it is that they do.
Hangdog98

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:51 pm

Here is a bogans reaction to "Our Cadel" courtesy Mr Q at Things Bogans Like - Not sure if this is allowed or not but it is funny.

Removed. Have a brush up on the Forum Rules
Last edited by Boognoss on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forum rules violation
Certified Brand Snob
Daccordi Rider

Postby il padrone » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:08 pm

Pissaahh!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:49 pm

Kind of figured that may happen, sorry. Anyway if you want to see it go to Things Bogans Like and scroll through the comments on the "Talking about joining the army" topic.
Certified Brand Snob
Daccordi Rider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:38 pm

Awwwwwww glad I read it before it got dinged. Maybe you can MS paint it?
CommuRider

Postby roller » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:05 am

inflammatory statement or idea
roller

Postby CommuRider » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:19 am

Les Visiteurs!

And I didn't realise the TdF spectators are so concerned about the welfare of the cyclists that they give away newspapers on the side of the road :-) (can I say I wish we had people like that in this country?)

One of my faves :-)

CommuRider

Postby roller » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:30 pm

CommuRider wrote:Les Visiteurs!

:lol:

movie!
inflammatory statement or idea
roller

Postby CommuRider » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:33 pm

roller wrote:
CommuRider wrote:Les Visiteurs!

:lol:

movie!

CommuRider

Postby martinjs » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:00 pm

Quick foot note to Hangdog98, AFL is not just a Melbourne sport. It's one of the most popular sports in Australia. Played and watched big time in Victoria, SA, WA, Tasmania, ACT and apparently pretty big in NT, also very popular in Southern NSW and is growing in Sydney and Brisbane. The AFL Grand final was watched by 3.72 million viewers last year in Australia and apparently is watched in growing numbers all over the world. Also it's the closest sport we have to a truly Australian sporting event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_Grand_Final

Have a look at some of the names of people they have had at the Grandfinal at Half time, can be found at the bottom of the website. The first ever VFL football match was in 1897 and the game was played even longer than that in Southern parts of Australia.
Not as big as the TDF but not to shabby.

Martin
martinjs

Postby David_G » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:18 pm

martinjs wrote:Quick foot note to Hangdog98, AFL is not just a Melbourne sport. It's one of the most popular sports in Australia. Played and watched big time in Victoria, SA, WA, Tasmania, ACT and apparently pretty big in NT, also very popular in Southern NSW and is growing in Sydney and Brisbane. The AFL Grand final was watched by 3.72 million viewers last year in Australia and apparently is watched in growing numbers all over the world. Also it's the closest sport we have to a truly Australian sporting event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_Grand_Final

Have a look at some of the names of people they have had at the Grandfinal at Half time, can be found at the bottom of the website. The first ever VFL football match was in 1897 and the game was played even longer than that in Southern parts of Australia.
Not as big as the TDF but not to shabby.

Martin

+1 from me.
95,000 plus people cheering for him at half time or before the game would be quite a tribute. I've been to about 20 GFs and it is the biggest annual sporting event in Australia, good fit with Le Tour being the biggest annual sporting event on Earth.
I just love riding my bike!
David_G

Postby snark » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:19 pm

martinjs wrote:The AFL Grand final was watched by 3.72 million viewers last year in Australia and apparently is watched in growing numbers all over the world.

I think the last stages of the tour got about 700-800 thousand viewers at a 10pm+ timeslot. I know it's a "what if", but what would they have rated if they were mid afternoon or early evening? I can't find ratings figures for Kieran Perkins in Atlanta but I'm sure the last stages would have been in that ballpark.

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."
snark

Postby sogood » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:33 pm

2011 TdF must have finished. Why else are we seeing this turning into an AFL thread? :roll:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

PreviousNext

Return to International and National Tours and Events