2011 Tour de France

Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a España, Tour Down Under and more

2011 Tour de France

Postby Redbull » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:51 pm

Warnesy wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:
Myddraal wrote:Cadel you little bloody ripper.

>.< That rendition of the anthem made me cringe.

Really? I cringed when I saw TA would be doing it, but was quite impressed at the end of it.

I was wondering if anyone would comment on the anthem. I was actually really impressed by it as well. Thought it was one of the best renditions I'd heard at a sporting event.

+1

I thought she was fine. The raw material however leaves a little to be desired.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass
Redbull

by BNA » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:27 pm

BNA

Re: 2011 Tour de France

Postby sogood » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:27 pm

wagr1213 wrote:Cadel Invited by AFL to attend the Grand Final - Now seriously they must be joking, just the appropriate dead head crowd hes likely to want to get up in front of!

I say some of the spectators along the cols aren't very different in character to the "dead head crowd" at AFL you referred to. Got to remember, cycling is a major sport in Euroland and they don't have AFL. :P
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:44 pm

Redbull wrote:+1

I thought she was fine. The raw material however leaves a little to be desired.

+1, she did a good job. My girlfriend said when she first started 'jeez our anthem is pathetic', and i couldn't agree more. The old saying comes to mind 'a camel is a horse designed by a committee'.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:54 am

what a great last week!...Cadel looked good in yellow on the Champs (finally!)...Cav looked bloomin fine too!....Allez Toma et Pierre!!! :D .
toolonglegs

Postby Oxford » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:48 am

watched an interview on the ABC with Cadel's father Paul, who at the time had yet to speak to him, he basically said Cadel won't be home until November, so unless the AFL foot for a private jet in/out of Australia, I doubt he make the Grand Final. frankly I don't want him to either, I stopped watching the AFL because I disagree with their drug policy and also the television rights for Qld are shocking.

I also don't think we should have a public holiday, just another goon day for dead heads to get drunk on.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby jules21 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:57 am

interesting quote...
Schleck, who lost the lead to Evans on the second-last day, said he found his disappointment easier to take.

"I'm happy for Cadel, honestly, he deserved this victory. I was more disappointed last year to lose," Schleck said, referring to his second-place finish behind Contador, who still has drug allegations hanging over his victory.
jules21

Postby sogood » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:10 am

Maybe Andy will get his yellow jersey crown for 2010. But it wouldn't be as good as having received it on the Champs at the time.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby Livetoride » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:11 am

jules21 wrote:interesting quote...
Schleck, who lost the lead to Evans on the second-last day, said he found his disappointment easier to take.

"I'm happy for Cadel, honestly, he deserved this victory. I was more disappointed last year to lose," Schleck said, referring to his second-place finish behind Contador, who still has drug allegations hanging over his victory.

Interesting indeed, I thought Andy Schleck was very humble in his defeat, he appears to be fair guy with his comment of "Cadel was better on the day" words to that effect.

I hope Cantador is cleared, I'd hate to think he cheated, I love watching him dance on the climbs he makes it look so damn easy :D
Happy Days
Livetoride

Postby jules21 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:38 am

Livetoride wrote:I hope Cantador is cleared, I'd hate to think he cheated, I love watching him dance on the climbs he makes it look so damn easy :D

unfortunately i fear the verdict on contador will come down to how much benefit of the doubt he is to be given, rather than a definitive finding on his guilt or innocence.
jules21

Postby David_G » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:51 am

Livetoride wrote:
jules21 wrote:interesting quote...

Interesting indeed, I thought Andy Schleck was very humble in his defeat, he appears to be fair guy with his comment of "Cadel was better on the day" words to that effect.

I hope Cantador is cleared, I'd hate to think he cheated, I love watching him dance on the climbs he makes it look so damn easy :D

I saw that interview and I thought it was very professional and sporting of the Schlecks to be so gracious after the disappointment of their end result.
More power to them, (not enough to beat Cadel though) and bring on next year.
Only about 345 sleeps to go.
Last edited by David_G on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I just love riding my bike!
David_G

Postby winstonw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:09 am

someone said "That rendition of the anthem made me cringe...."

I cringed. The anthem can be sung fast or slow.
Slow is when it is all about the singer in front of a bunch of Aussies.
Fast is when in front of an international audience.
She did it slow.
Last edited by winstonw on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winstonw

Postby martinjs » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:19 am

How did they manage to get her anyway, it's not like she has nothing else to do. They wouldn't have know who was going to win with only 2 days to go.
I think she did a great job and of course it goes with out saying Cadel did a bloody marvellous job. :D

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
martinjs

Postby CommuRider » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:31 am

Reliving the vid moments

www.sbs.com.au/tourdefrance

BTW, have been searching for the launch of the Tour where the teams were displayed and Contador got booed. Anyone know where I can watch it?
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby Hangdog98 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:02 pm

winstonw wrote:
Redbull wrote:That rendition of the anthem made me cringe.

She did it slow.

I loved it. I loved that it was an Aussie Ex-Pat, now Parisian who sung it. I loved that Cadel made his speech in French then in English. I love the way the French people embrace Aussies. When I went to the tour I found the French to be crazy about Aussies and I'm sure the relationship has only been strengthened by Cadel's tour gracious winning speech and Tina's stirring rendition of our National Anthem. Cadel is a true statesman and I felt that he honoured his countrymen with the way he carried himself on the podium, as did Tina with her performance. After all, we could have got the basic youTube version of our boring old anthem plugged into the PA through an iPod like everybody else does.
Hangdog98

Postby tomness » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:08 pm

Martinjs wrote:
How did they manage to get her anyway, it's not like she has nothing else to do.

There is an interview with her on ozcycling. Apparently she called up the ASO on the morning of the final stage and asked to do it. She is pretty popular in France so it seems they were happy to accomodate her request.
tomness

Postby Oxford » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:35 pm

Tina Arena lives in Paris from my understanding, so not a hard ask to be there.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:25 pm

CommuRider wrote:BTW, have been searching for the launch of the Tour where the teams were displayed and Contador got booed. Anyone know where I can watch it?

I haven't had a proper look but there might be videos at http://www.therobbyy.com/wp/?page_id=40

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby goneriding » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:31 pm

I'd rather the Lance-esque local rides! Something like a paceline down to Waterfall and back! It'd be a very long one!

One in each City/Regional Centre.
goneriding

Postby wombatK » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:42 pm

CAAD9_Dan wrote:What do others think of her 'AFL' idea? (sorry I had to vent! Feel free to make another thread in regards to this issue if required)

Totally with you CAAD9_Dan. It's really casting pearls before the swine, and at the very least ambush marketing.

At the risk of upsetting the die-hard AFL fans... Cadel and cycling deserve not to play second fiddle to a sport that has no prescence on the world stage.

It would be much more fitting for something special and cycling to be done. Like a celebratory community bike ride through the city in each capital. The more that could be involved, the better - but if that worries the traffic authorities, maybe limiting it to club members or a nominated subset of them would be good.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
wombatK

Postby Redbull » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:12 pm

winstonw wrote:

She did it slow.

Hey I didn't say that.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass
Redbull

Postby CommuRider » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:25 pm

Aushiker wrote:
CommuRider wrote:BTW, have been searching for the launch of the Tour where the teams were displayed and Contador got booed. Anyone know where I can watch it?

I haven't had a proper look but there might be videos at http://www.therobbyy.com/wp/?page_id=40

Andrew

The vids start from Stage 1 so good way to catch up on some early stages. Just found out the presentation was held at Le Puy du Fou will look for vids on there.

Edit: home video here for 90 minutes in French

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRaORKhMy7U
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby bostonceltics » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:00 pm

tomness wrote:
Martinjs wrote:
How did they manage to get her anyway, it's not like she has nothing else to do.

There is an interview with her on ozcycling. Apparently she called up the ASO on the morning of the final stage and asked to do it. She is pretty popular in France so it seems they were happy to accomodate her request.

Awesome, I think she did a sweet job, way better than the usual anyway!
bostonceltics

Postby martinjs » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:27 pm

jules21 wrote:
wagr1213 wrote:Cadel Invited by AFL to attend the Grand Final - Now seriously they must be joking, just the appropriate dead head crowd hes likely to want to get up in front of!

Here We Go Here We Go Here We Go !!!!!

nah, not at the GF. none of the deadheads get a ticket, it's all the MCC members and corporate ticket holders. "ooh look janis, i'm sure i've one of those BMC bikes cadel rides somewhere in the garage. damned if i can remember where i got it from, though"

Soo true, tickets are hard to get and very expensive. While in Melbourne I got offered some for the time in the 90's where Carlton ended up winning. Good price of $150 each, but with a family it was to much to justify. :( Yep no bogans there!

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
martinjs

Postby winstonw » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Redbull wrote:
winstonw wrote:

She did it slow.

Hey I didn't say that.

sorry .... fixed it. must have parsed the wrong author within the multiple quotes.
winstonw

Postby Hangdog98 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:47 pm

At the risk of upsetting the die-hard AFL fans... Cadel and cycling deserve not to play second fiddle to a sport that has no prescence on the world stage.

I live in Sydney and I don't know anybody who follows or knows thing one about AFL. I've seen it on the news sometimes and I have no clue why anybody would follow it (or Sydney's mobile man-grappling they call football).

I was watching Garry Sweet today on cable TV in some re-hashed episode of Getaway and he was reviewing a tour of the tour route up the Col d'Izoard. He said something like 'The tour de France is right up there with the AFL grand final'. I nearly choked, he must be kidding. Could it be that Victorians are so deluded and think that anyone else besides suburban melbournites have any interest in that obscure and bizarre ball game?

The celebration should be for Australian cycling and all the people who created, supported and participated in the framework that allowed the AIS to foster and develop the skills and competitive spirit that lead to Cadel's historic win in Paris. From the U17 mountain biker who pays his CA licence fees and supports the bicycle industry to the super athletes who have access to millions of dollars of AIS equipment in Canberra and abroad to bring out their best. We all shared in Cadel's great victory in some way and resisted the pressure to chase a man with a ball around a field to achieve sporting recognition.

I reckon a ticker tape style parade (without the ticker tape obviously) down George Street, Sydney with Cadel on his BMC (and any team-mates that could make it) flanked by a million cyclists wearing yellow. We could call it the Australian tour de France Legion, (or AFL for short).

When he gets to Melbourne maybe they can have him at the Victorian football thing and he can throw the first pitch or whatever it is that they do.
Hangdog98

PreviousNext

Return to International and National Tours and Events