2011 Tour de France

Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a España, Tour Down Under and more

Re: 2011 Tour de France

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:59 pm

Don't like that photo.... please don't quote because it will turn me off spaghetti forever.

What comes to mind when reflecting the tour is the GC breakaways towards the end, particularly that of Contador where the Voeckler, the Schlecks and Evans didn't follow. There was really something happening there as everyone knows that Contador could have been a real threat and if he had his legs up the mountains, he could have done it... but the rest were content to let him go. For me this is showing real strategy and knowledge from the cyclists and team directors as somehow they knew that it was worth sitting (without getting nervous). And also looking at how Evans attacked... he didn't attack that much, where he really got his lead was with resolve by driving the pack forward and rather than loosing riders with a sharp attack... I think that this saved him energy.

So, is Cadel fever wearing off?
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

by BNA » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:56 pm

BNA

Postby snark » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:56 pm

AUbicycles wrote:So, is Cadel fever wearing off?

There's been at least one story in the Geelong Addy every day this week. We're happy to keep claiming him :)

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."
snark

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:46 pm

AUbicycles wrote:So, is Cadel fever wearing off?

A couple of guys (incl. myself) did a Traffic Controller course today (for controlling traffic in road races) and the instructor mentioned Cadel's win along side last night's footy results! He only mentioned it because there were a few cyclists in the class, but it is nice to know that even the ute driving tradie mob have at least something to talk to us about now. Even if it's the only thing they know about cycling, it's a start.

David
(As an aside, if you walked into the room during the course you would be able to spot the cyclists in the group, even though we were all dressed in civies)
bigfriendlyvegan

Re: HIJACKED BY MEXICANS!

Postby Hangdog98 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:37 pm

"Cadel is coming home especially for this event, which will include a short bike ride and a celebration at Federation Square where Victorians will have a wonderful opportunity to yell for Cadel," said Mr Baillieu. "Victorians who watched Cadel’s victory were inspired and had their spirits lifted by his resilience, perseverance and sheer guts. Now they will have an opportunity to honour this inspirational Victorian champion in person."

If Cadel Evans was celebrating in any other capitol then he would be an Australian, and Australians would be invited to celebrate this inspirational Australian's TDF victory.

If his statehood is based on where he lives, then he is Swiss. If it was his birthplace then he is a territorian. If his cycling nationality is from where he was inspired to cycle then he is a New South Welshman ("Evans has stated that it was his early years growing up in Armidale, New South Wales, that was the inspiration for his cycling career"). If his ancestoral heritage is his real nationality, then like Julia Gillard, he is Welsh. If his holiday home is his real nationality, then I suppose he might be Victorian or perhaps Italian... probably more Italian.

So the article should read: Cadel is coming to Melbourne especially for this event, which will include a short bicycle ride and a celebration at a place named Federation Square (named after the encatment of the Australian Federation Act in the British Parliment), where his fans will have an opportunity to yell for Cadel (so named after the three Welsh Kings)," said Mr Baillieu of French Belgian heritage who watched Cadel's victory (in France for an American team)... Now they, including the Swiss, Australian (including but not limited to 'Victorians'), Welsh, French, Americans, Italians, Armadillians, Tibetans and Belgians, will have the opportunity to honour this inspirational Collingwood fan in person. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hangdog98

Postby martinjs » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:32 pm

Hangdog98 wrote:
"Cadel is coming home especially for this event, which will include a short bike ride and a celebration at Federation Square where Victorians will have a wonderful opportunity to yell for Cadel," said Mr Baillieu. "Victorians who watched Cadel’s victory were inspired and had their spirits lifted by his resilience, perseverance and sheer guts. Now they will have an opportunity to honour this inspirational Victorian champion in person."

If Cadel Evans was celebrating in any other capitol then he would be an Australian, and Australians would be invited to celebrate this inspirational Australian's TDF victory.

If his statehood is based on where he lives, then he is Swiss. If it was his birthplace then he is a territorian. If his cycling nationality is from where he was inspired to cycle then he is a New South Welshman ("Evans has stated that it was his early years growing up in Armidale, New South Wales, that was the inspiration for his cycling career"). If his ancestoral heritage is his real nationality, then like Julia Gillard, he is Welsh. If his holiday home is his real nationality, then I suppose he might be Victorian or perhaps Italian... probably more Italian.

So the article should read: Cadel is coming to Melbourne especially for this event, which will include a short bicycle ride and a celebration at a place named Federation Square (named after the encatment of the Australian Federation Act in the British Parliment), where his fans will have an opportunity to yell for Cadel (so named after the three Welsh Kings)," said Mr Baillieu of French Belgian heritage who watched Cadel's victory (in France for an American team)... Now they, including the Swiss, Australian (including but not limited to 'Victorians'), Welsh, French, Americans, Italians, Armadillians, Tibetans and Belgians, will have the opportunity to honour this inspirational Collingwood fan in person. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reading his book at the moment, apparently most of his early serious riding was done around Plenty, Eltham while riding to school and training in the Kinglake area. Some of his first sponsors and supporters all came or were working/active in the same area. So perhaps that's why he (or maybe his team?) Chose Melbourne. He also has a propertly where he spends several months of the year in Victoria.

I'm no longer a Mexican before you judge. :lol: Leeton, Southern NSW is where I live and where I'll stay.
Although I lived in Preston/Reservoir and used to cycle up and down the Plenty Rd through Plenty about the time Cadel was riding around the same area. :oops: 8)

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
martinjs

Postby David_G » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Hangdog98 wrote:

Don't worry, Sydney is still the centre of the known universe...If he does get up there you'll have another excuse to set fire to your bridge again..:)
I just love riding my bike!
David_G

Postby Parrott » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:01 am

Having moved back to victoria I find the partisan crap tedious and probably most victorians do, our politicians don't appear to have worked that out yet.

Don't know if you watched the Gruen Transfer last night Hangdog, for more Sydney Melb stirring.

Parrott

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:10 am

Hangdog98 wrote:...honour this inspirational Collingwood fan in person. :lol: :lol: :lol:

YER WOT???

That's it, I'm not goin' :P
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby David_G » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:27 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Hangdog98 wrote:...honour this inspirational Collingwood fan in person. :lol: :lol: :lol:

YER WOT???

That's it, I'm not goin' :P

He's a Cats fan.
David_G

Postby snark » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:57 pm

David_G wrote:He's a Cats fan.

I mentioned that here many many pages ago somewhere, but I did preface it at the time with something like "as reported by the Geelong Advertiser". I take out of that that he may be a Cats fan but I'm not 100% certain of that :).

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."
snark

Postby David_G » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:30 pm

snark wrote:

I mentioned that here many many pages ago somewhere, but I did preface it at the time with something like "as reported by the Geelong Advertiser". I take out of that that he may be a Cats fan but I'm not 100% certain of that :).

Cheers,
Simon.

I was listening to the Couldabeens on Sat, he lives next door to Ian Cover when he's here and they were certain he is a Cats fan, so that might be considered more substantial evidence.
David_G

Postby Parrott » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:13 pm

Cover is the Coodabeen with the dimpled chin who does Bobby Davis impersonations. Cover says he's looking forward to Evans getting back because he lent him his hammer and he hasn't returned it. Like Cover, Evans barracks for the Cats.

The Age article
Parrott

Postby Hangdog98 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:03 pm

He's a Cats fan.

I'm pretty sure he has a dog, not a cat. Remember the "don't stand on my dog or I cut off your head" quote? Yes, definitely a dog fan. Unless "cats" refers to a group of men who chase each other around a field after a ball... nah, that still sounds like something a dog would do. :P Maybe you're referring to the lion one gets with the malliot jeune, that's a cat I suppose. I like them too.

This is a Mexican cat:
This is a dog...........................................This is a stuffed lion toy
This appears to be a bear dressed as a cat. (confused Mexican)
Hangdog98

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:39 pm

Phew, that's all right then, thanks Dave.

I can almost hear Eddie plotting now...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby David_G » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:20 pm

Mulger bill wrote:

Phew, that's all right then, thanks Dave.

I can almost hear Eddie plotting now...

Shaun

It's OK we're fine with him being a Cat, as long as he barracks for someone it's all good.
Maybe we'll get to see him at the finals. I'm pretty sure the Mighty Pies are going to meet up with the Cats sometime in September or hopefully early October
David_G

Postby Hangdog98 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:06 am

I'm sorry, does this mean he is also a fan of the pies at the venue where cats play?
I knew of a Chinese restaurant in Melbourne that had no cats playing anywhere nearby...
They didn't sell pies though. :shock:

Hangdog98

Postby CommuRider » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:02 am

Hangdog98 wrote:This appears to be a bear dressed as a cat. (confused Mexican)

+1
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby Kenzo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:33 pm

anyone else suffering TdF withdrawals?
http://www.roadbikerider.com/current-ne ... cotts-spin

SCOTT'S SPIN

Crazy Race
Dr. Froid: Come in. Have a seat. So, what made you decide to seek counseling?

Me: I feel like things are spiraling out of control . . . . Say, I thought you guys all had couches. I just finished a hard ride and wouldn’t mind putting my feet up.

Dr. F: That’s only in New Yorker cartoons. Please continue.

Me: I’m depressed. No energy. Life seems hopeless, empty. I’m easily distracted. Sometimes I get really angry. And I feel isolated. I have nothing to say even to family and close friends.

Dr. F: How long have you been feeling this way?

Me: Ten days.

Dr. F: Did something happen ten days ago?

Me: Duh. The Tour de France ended.

Dr. F: The Tour de France?

Me: It’s the biggest bike race in the world with nonstop TV and online coverage and this year’s race was fantastic with Cadel and Andy battling it out and that final time trial was unbelievable, not to mention the crashes and the Alps and Cav winning the green jersey plus Thor putting the hammer down while . . .

Dr. F: So now the Tour is over, you’re saying . . .

Me: I’m suffering from Tour withdrawal. You gotta help me, doc.

Dr. F: It’s perfectly natural to experience a letdown after watching an exciting sporting event, but in time . . .

Me: You don’t understand! I can’t live without the Tour. Believe me, I’ve tried. Last week I bought three BMC bikes, just like Cadel’s. I changed my entire wardrobe to yellow. Each morning I sing the Australian national anthem: Australians all let us rejoice . . .

Dr. F: Please sit down. I’m going to prescribe you an anti-depressant called Perkinup.

Me: Bless you. Wait -- what if I get drug-tested after tomorrow’s ride?
Kenzo

2011 Tour de France

Postby Parrott » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:49 pm

I am missing it too but it was pretty grueling with sleep deprivation. The rest of the family are happy it's over

Bring on next year they'll have forgotten it by then :)
Parrott

Postby Hangdog98 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:05 am

Woo Hoo, Cadel has returned to Victoria to celebrate Collingwood's win in the Tour De France. What a great day for ALL Collingwood supporters. This historic TDF victory by Collingwood will remain as one of the highlights of the 2011 AFL DVD set.
Hangdog98

Postby martinjs » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:11 pm

Hangdog98 wrote:Woo Hoo, Cadel has returned to Victoria to celebrate Collingwood's win in the Tour De France. What a great day for ALL Collingwood supporters. This historic TDF victory by Collingwood will remain as one of the highlights of the 2011 AFL DVD set.

:roll:
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!
martinjs

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:29 pm

I was going for St Kilda (Cadel road along St Kilda road for the victory parade), a very exciting match of football.

If you are suffering withdrawal symptoms - then get onto Eurosport and tune into the Eneco Tour in Belgium. Second last stage running right about now and final stage tomorro night. Although Cadel pops up again in the US pro cycling challenge in Colorado starting on Aug 22, the Tour of Spain on 21 will get coverage on Eurosport.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Chuck » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Just a heads up for anyone wanting the 2011 Le Tour DVD. I just received my copy from JB Hi Fi, it's near on 10hours worth of coverage and it cost me $30 delivered ordering online. Pretty reasonable I thought.

Hangdog98 wrote:Woo Hoo, Cadel has returned to Victoria to celebrate Collingwood's win in the Tour De France. What a great day for ALL Collingwood supporters. This historic TDF victory by Collingwood will remain as one of the highlights of the 2011 AFL DVD set.

Maybe you could order the 2011 AFL GF DVD at the same time so you can continue to "celebrate" :P
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby F1F1 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:03 pm

Can anyone help me? I was on the Champs Elysees for the TdF 2011 final and set my recorder at home to record that stage. The power went off and nothing was recorded! I've got the SBS DVD, but it only covers parts of the Paris laps. Can anyone let me know if they have a copy of the complete SBS telecast of the final stage in Paris? I've tried SBS and they can't help.
F1F1

Postby roller » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:46 am

F1F1 wrote:Can anyone help me? I was on the Champs Elysees for the TdF 2011 final and set my recorder at home to record that stage. The power went off and nothing was recorded! I've got the SBS DVD, but it only covers parts of the Paris laps. Can anyone let me know if they have a copy of the complete SBS telecast of the final stage in Paris? I've tried SBS and they can't help.

try here
roller

PreviousNext

Return to International and National Tours and Events