Tour Downunder

Chuck

Re: Tour Downunder

Postby Chuck » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:22 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:
Chuck wrote:
CommuRider wrote:Well done South Oz.
+1

The support the SA public give the race is fantastic. It must be a pleasure being a cyclist in Adelaide :D
It is :D however Kudos to all the visiting riders from interstate, the city has been full of them all week and it certainly adds a lot to the atmosphere.
I really need to get down there next year to experience it :idea:
FPR Ragamuffin

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:59 am

I couldn't watch the whole stage but am extremely lucky to have caught the last lap. I will blame my reaction on missing the buildup, but also on Greipels style of easy looking wins - it didn't seem like an amazing end. Lotto had a good position leading out and they were so powerful that it seemed to be uncontested... The Tour Down Under was having a lot of really close finishes where it was cm's rather than bike lengths. Perhaps the telecast didn't convey the atmosphere and excitement, partcularly after the win by Greipel and overall win by Gerrans.

It was stll a great tour, with stage 5 the highlight, and fantastic for GreenEdge in there first big team test. I slso enjoyed seeing international as well as local riders putting in so much energy into this race and not passing it off as a warmup event.
Cycling is in my BNA

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:57 am

Spent the day on Willunga Hill, and it was fantastic. First stage that I have ever watched live, and will be back again next year.

Hot there nice and early (bloody hell it was windy & cold). Found a great spot at 900m to go.

One thing I couldn't believe was the number of cyclists that were riding back :shock: :shock: :shock: Thousands of them, and some pretty sweet machinery too.

Next year, the caravan is going up there so we can have the TV, and also pack the bikes for a morning ride !!!

Well done to the Greenedge boys. Shows just how important high placings are during an event !!

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:04 pm

I am disappointed that we didn't get to see a GreenEdge train, and see what they could do in the sprints, but I do understand they were riding for the overall Tour win.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:25 pm

MichaelB wrote:Spent the day on Willunga Hill, and it was fantastic. First stage that I have ever watched live, and will be back again next year!!

8)
FPR Ragamuffin

timbo

Postby timbo » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Actually we didn't see that many lead out trains from any team except Lotto.
I suppose there are new combinations in a lot of teams and it will take a race or two to work out the teamwork within the teams.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:22 am

We saw a little bit from Lampre when it came to the Peloton chasing down a break away to bring it back to a bunch sprint for the line. But inevitably the Lampre train was over taken by the Lotto train when it came down to the last kilometre or lap.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:06 pm

[quote="Chuck really need to get down there next year to experience it :idea:[/quote]

Chuck, you really should go. We got back yesterday and have already started planning for next year. Awesome riding, friendly people, considerate traffic and the tour itself was brilliant with the racing and the access to the riders etc.

(Plus you get to ride in Glenelg where Sticks is from :) )
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:24 pm

bianchi928 wrote:[quote="Chuck really need to get down there next year to experience it :idea:
Chuck, you really should go. We got back yesterday and have already started planning for next year. Awesome riding, friendly people, considerate traffic and the tour itself was brilliant with the racing and the access to the riders etc.

(Plus you get to ride in Glenelg where Sticks is from :) )[/quote]

Just swapped my holidays, they now start on December 23 so I'll be on holidays through that period, no excuses. I hope to convince some of the FPR guys to come down too. If it pans out it'd be cool to catch up for a ride.

Cheers :D
FPR Ragamuffin

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:47 pm

Chuck wrote: If it pans out it'd be cool to catch up for a ride.

Cheers :D
Definetly.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:10 am

Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

SlowUpHills

Postby SlowUpHills » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:36 am

Good article, but the usual crap about middle aged blokes and lycra. I was there all week and there were a lot of us, but there were lots of everyone else too.
Maybe he thinks we should be sitting around a lunch table working on gutbuilding or artery hardening.
Also there is always the not so subtle dig at the price of carbon frames which I find curious when you compare cycling costs against a lot of other hobbies or sports.
So he hangs it on the fans, but praises the event. I can cope with that, as it is sensational, in a beautiful place hosted by a great bunch of locals.
I'm already counting the sleeps till next year.

alex

Postby alex » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:13 pm

the tdu is amazing but when you live here the sudden influx of heroes from interstate (and a few hero locals who dust off the $10k bike for one week each year) is infuriating

if you come to our city please dont act like you own the roads, once you are gone it is the locals who are left to deal with the motorists you enraged for the other 51 weeks of the year

it sucks that the racing is finished but it is great that the 10 billion idiot blow ins are gone
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:20 pm

I will be back and I will watch the tour after the ride. It was fantastic.
:P
alex wrote:it sucks that the racing is finished but it is great that the 10 billion idiot blow ins are gone
I wouldn't say 10 billion idiots but yes some were there, they make it difficult for the rest
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

David_G

Postby David_G » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:10 pm

I was there for the whole week and rode every day, I only had one incident where a truck shaved me on the road to Victor Harbour, I rode in and out of Adelaide in a bunch and solo, I thought the vehicular traffic was great. It was also very exciting riding around with all those other cyclists. It was a bit like how the world might be one day.
If you're getting grief from motorists now it won't be from any of the riding I witnessed, everyone seemed to be getting along and around just fine.
Bring on the TDU 2013!
I just love riding my bike!

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:57 am

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/ro ... s%20mooted

Time Trial seems the obvious one, possibly a stage in a LBL vain. Did get out of the comment on the bottom that thought it would be a cobbled stage? Just ignoring the rather important missing cobbles does he really think that the teams would actually send there riders down to race on cobbles ? Someone didnt think before they typed.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

Welsh Dragon

Postby Welsh Dragon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:37 pm

As the OP who started this to get lots of hints and tips about whether to go or not, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU !!

You all gave me SO much useful information and we had an absolute blast-can not wait until next year, and for those of you hesitating-JUST DO IT !

Welsh Dragon

Postby Welsh Dragon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:50 pm

2013 dates are out !

Who's coming ?!

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:43 am

my accomodation is now booked :)
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:31 am

wow, I am in again
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

David_G

Postby David_G » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:41 am

Me too, while I'm not wishing my life away, I'm looking forward to it big time.
I just love riding my bike!

Welsh Dragon

Postby Welsh Dragon » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:30 pm

Was planning on going to Kangaroo Island for a few days before until I saw hoe expensive it is to get over there-Say What ?!!