TdU Channel Nine coverage

PawPaw

Re: TdU Channel Nine coverage

Postby PawPaw » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:38 pm

ggrrrrrrr......friggin Channel 9. so the best they can do is highlights at 1030pm. friggin goats.
SBS had the time slot perfect. Most cyclists are up early for a ride, and relaxing after lunch....perfect time for watching cycling on the box.

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:45 pm

GraemeK wrote:Yep - the stream will not work in Safari on a Mac but it will work using Firefox although the image is small and grainy.
I had to update the Flip4mac and was able to watch in Chrome and Safari.

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

vander

Postby vander » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:48 pm

Very good race. Pity they only had about 12 pixels they could spare.

TimW

Postby TimW » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:52 pm

vander wrote:Very good race. Pity they only had about 12 pixels they could spare.
Its interesting when you can watch a euro channel with live streaming during the tdf better than live streaming in our own country lol :roll:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:02 pm

can you imagine one of the packers discussing showing the TdU?

"cycling? that's for the birds. flick it to late night. get me the bloody list of home reno shows we produced, hosted by young bimbos with big knockers or you'll never work in media again sunshine"

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:07 pm

I ended up using realplayer.... i had it plugged into the TV so at least it was a little bigger.... but still... what a joke!
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Agree with all the negative posts about 9 but the TDU organisers have something to answer for too, they have let us down badly. Reminds us once again how good SBS are to cycling fans in oz.
FPR Ragamuffin

moreegolfer

Postby moreegolfer » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:13 pm

TimW wrote:media player plugin i think. I use firefox and had to download it.Tim
Got it up but only caught Greipel being interviewed at the end. Will be taping the highlights show for viewing over brekkie.

GraemeK

Postby GraemeK » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:28 pm

Seems to me we should all be telling the organisers of the TDU how crappy their decision about a television broadcaster is. Of course their decision was probably based on channel 9 being prepared to pay more money for the broadcast rights but I did see the guy who organises the TDU saying they thought having channel 9 as the broadcaster would increase their general market acceptance so we need to tell them that no one is going to see it given the times its being shown.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:31 pm

there's probably some truth in that. there are a lot of people who just won't switch onto SBS. they're probably the same people who get angry when they see cyclists. so putting it on Ch.9 might confuse them a bit, hopefully.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:32 pm

Methinks the best way to get 1/2 decent coverage on Nein might be to get all teams to wear vertical black and white stripes over full sleeve tatts.

Anyhoo, tonights adfest is starting, dissection will follow...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:03 pm

1st XV wrote:
Addictr3 wrote:I cant believe they dont show it LIVE on telly, what a joke.. damn im so pissed off.
What? If they showed it live we would miss out on such television gold as "Two and a half men", "Antiques Roadshow" and other repeats they have decided to show tonight on their THREE channels.......

What a joke, I cant wait till Channel 9 goes broke.........

Ahhhh my favourite.. Antiques Roadshow, I heard that is a real blockbuster for CH9
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:03 am

Dissapointed that there was no live coverage.
Especially as (here in Sydney) they were running repeats and after gaining the cycling rights, it takes a backseat to cricket. Thats a obvious call - but let another channel do the live telecast.

So Stage one on Tuesday from 11am - 3pm..... and is first shown in the evening at 11:30pm
A quick look, first on Saturday with Stage 5 does it seem there is any live coverage (plus Sunday).

Havn't been in Aus the last few years during the TDU - but were SBS doing live coverage?
Cycling is in my BNA

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:16 am

Just watched the highlights package/race. Great racing and go Hass!!

Well, I think it was Hass...

The picture quality was woeful :shock:

So they give it to 9 who say they will showcase it to a wider mainstream audience. Its just rot when they intended to show it late at night and even the live stages are on a weekend, when I assume there are less people watching tv? being out and about and stuff? I dunno.

I was excited to see GE and I dont mind the TDU as a race[more now it has a hill finish] but this has put a real downer on it.

I mean, Andrew friggin Voss..... :roll:

Things you might have missed.....he is a twit.

goodnight

timbo

Postby timbo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:56 am

Channel 9 programming had the test cricket on at the time the cycling was on, but the cricket finished early, so there was no excuse.
At least if SBS couldn't show it live on SBS1, it would have been on SBS2 live, but no, not Channel 9 who have 2 digital channels, even though they showed the test cricket live on GEM while the 6pm news was on channel 9, so the cricket tragics didn't have to miss a ball.
Thats how much they really think of cycling.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:15 am

Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:50 am

AUbicycles wrote:Havn't been in Aus the last few years during the TDU - but were SBS doing live coverage?
Yup they had live coverage and I'm amazed that our Tour isn't live, shocking representation for the cycling Australia :(
Happy Days

r2160

Postby r2160 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:04 am

As bad as the coverage is, does anybody have an electronic copy of the highlights? I have no way of recording it at present but would still like to see it.

I am in no position, due to work, to be able to watch it live. I have an FTP site available if necessary.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:09 am

It appears to me 9 have packaged this telecast for the overseas market, where there's more interest and higher tv audiences.
It shares much with the TdF telecast, featuring the local region, obviously aiming at increasing tourism. The only thing I didn't see was an Aussie Gabriel Gateau.

Considering how Cadel increased cycling interest in Australia last year, you think the pinheads at 9 would have at least tried a day spot.
I am highly motivated to write to 9's biggest advertisers and tell them 9 have motivated me to buy competitor's products at least 75% more often.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:25 am

Darrell Eastlake is commentating next weekend's live coverage.

Big Say What there. Phil Liggett didn't say a word. Then again given us rugby fans had to put up with biased Kiwi commentating and a RL Commentator for the RWC finals, no less than crackpot commentary is expected from C9.

Congrats to Greipel, big, humungous legs. GreenEdge still has a lot to learn.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:22 am

Livetoride wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:Havn't been in Aus the last few years during the TDU - but were SBS doing live coverage?
Yup they had live coverage and I'm amazed that our Tour isn't live, shocking representation for the cycling Australia :(
SBS didnt do a full broadcast last year - just a highlights package. The Cancer Classic was live but thats it.

Honestly the only difference between SBS and Nine is nines highlight package is on later at night.

The TDU organisers want people to travel to Adelaide - hence why there is no full coverage on any channel!!

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:28 am

PawPaw wrote:It appears to me 9 have packaged this telecast for the overseas market, where there's more interest and higher tv audiences.
Wrong - not many people in Europe or the US would be interested in a race thats being held in Australia during January, its not road cycling season in their minds.

The TDU has no chance to compete with CX and 6 day racing which are their cycling events during their winter.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:08 am

Drunkmonkey wrote:
Honestly the only difference between SBS and Nine is nines highlight package is on later at night.
5 hours is a huge difference when you have to get up for work.
FPR Ragamuffin

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:16 am

CommuRider wrote:Darrell Eastlake is commentating next weekend's live coverage.

Big WT? there. Phil Liggett didn't say a word.
Not sure what you mean, he and Paul Sherwen did their usual spiel, CommuRider ...

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:26 am

Drunkmonkey wrote:Wrong - not many people in Europe or the US would be interested in a race thats being held in Australia during January,
So in your view, 9 primarily outbid SBS for the rights to run highlights at 1030pm in Australia, and all these foreign networks are broadcasting something to not many people.

International broadcasters
Viewers around the world can watch the Santos Tour Down Under action on the following networks. Please check your local broadcaster for schedule details.

France - Sport+
Ireland - Setanta
Luxembourg - RTL
Norway - TV2Sport
Spain - Teledeporte
UK - Sky Sports and ITV
Pan-Africa - Supersport
USA and Canada - NBCSports and Rogers
South and Central America - Direct TV
Pan-Asia - Eurosport Asia
Japan - Jsports
Malaysia - Astro