TdU Channel Nine coverage

vander

Re: TdU Channel Nine coverage

Postby vander » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:07 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
I am not talking the sport down. Just pointing out reality. It will continue to grow and win more fans as Aussie performance continues, and gains more coverage in mainstream commercial media. But it is and will be for a long time a relatively minor sport in this country. How many people watch local cycle racing? A: bugger all.
Again cant say that I have played a lot of local cricket and how many people watch that less then 10, more people actually show up to track nights (despite track being even quiter then road racing) then local A grade (this was in Wollongong). However cricket IS a major sport, so the number of people showing up to local racing means nothing. BTW the same was true for AFL (in the Sydney comp) though there were a few more then cricket.

I think Vossy is asking better questions then the first night already. If he had done a bit more prep he would of been a lot better and by the end of 3 years I think he may be pretty good at it.

I dont know how you can say there cross promotion is good. Their Warne vs cyclist story got more time on the news. They have spent a lot more time on who David Jones new cat walk model is going to be this year then cycling, and modelling isnt a main steam activity (though it does pull a crowd). There has hardly been an add for their coverage of it. Im not really complaining about their coverage the show is adequate, but the timing (especially since they have 3 channels, I think SBS would of showed it live on one on their other channels though this isnt a definite fact just a belief) and there promotion are absolutely terrible. Even if they werent showing the sport on their channel they would probably of given it the 15sec they give it on the news now.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:08 am

I had some non cycling neighbours ask me about the race yesterday as they saw it was on Ch9. They'd never heard of it before.

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:10 am

Chuck wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote: SBS could not show a 1hour highlights pack at 6pm, there is no way they would kick their 6.30pm World News program. So when would SBS show a 1 hour highlights?
I think it was posted earlier in the thread that SBS were limited to a 30min nightly highlights package ? I haven't seen a link that confirms it either way.
Last year a RG member complained in writing to SBS about only showing a daily 30 min highlight package, this is the response they got from SBS.

http://www.roadgrime.com.au/forum/topic/6069/board/4
Dear Jamie,

Thank you for your email about the Tour Down Under coverage on SBS.

Unfortunately, while SBS would ideally love to show more comprehensive coverage, we are limited by what the organisers have made available to us. As we do not have the resources to send our own team to cover the entire event we can only show the shorter highlights packages provided to us.

I will, however, happily pass your comments on to our Cycling team as feedback, and hopefully in the future our coverage can expand.

Warm Regards,

Haidee

Audience Relations

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:43 am

Thanks for that, DrunkMonkey.

I'd thought in the past that SBS didn't have the moolah to show each day live. Maybe the last two stages are all the broadcast rights holder gets.

As a condition of its sponsorship, SA Tourism may insist on there still being reasons for someone to travel to Adelaide for the event.

Cricket used to have only the last session telecast into the hosting city, to minimize the damage on stadium attendances.

wagr1213

Postby wagr1213 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:13 pm

vander wrote:I think Vossy is asking better questions then the first night already. If he had done a bit more prep he would of been a lot better and by the end of 3 years I think he may be pretty good at it.
Yeh probably getting infected by the same drug that Ch 10's Rusty?, the motor racing presenter got hit by when he was presenting the Worlds in Geelong. "Starstruck" by working with some quality commentators! and waking up to what Cycling is really all about and why we love it.

At least 10 gave Geelong the coverage it warranted at a reasonable time and even though the presenter was a bit rough round the edges to begin with, he certainly seemed to grow into the role probably better than Voss has.
Malvern Star Oppy A4 Operator

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:27 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:
Thank you for your email about the Tour Down Under coverage on SBS.
Interesting, so it would seem that Ch9 have been able to put more resources into providing more highlights than SBS could ever do.

So the main beef is scheduling of the package, quality (the latter being somewhat subjective) and promotional effort for the sport (which I think will be better than SBS - but that's my opinion based on Ch9 having a much larger base audience).

Strange Rover

Postby Strange Rover » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:45 pm

It would be interesting to know fully the relationship between the TDU organisersand channel 9. I would well imagine that TDU is paying channel 9 money to cover the event and I would imagine that in the past TDU payed SBS to do the same.

A quote from that email..."Unfortunately, while SBS would ideally love to show more comprehensive coverage, we are limited by what the organisers have made available to us. As we do not have the resources to send our own team to cover the entire event we can only show the shorter highlights packages provided to us."

Sounds to me TDU didnt have the money to pay for any more coverage.

Now this is based on my very limited experience on how TV coverage works...My understanding is most sports have to pay the networks for their coverage. Only really, really major sports get free coverage (or the network pays for the privalage)...like AFL, ARL, Cricket, Olympics etc).

So if TDU is paying for the coverage then the coverage and promotion they are getting is probably all they can afford??

Dont know if anybody here has a good understanding of how the coverage gets paid for...or who pays what???

Sam

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:51 pm

Strange Rover wrote:
Dont know if anybody here has a good understanding of how the coverage gets paid for...or who pays what???

Sam
I would say not given some of our clueless arguments so far :lol: putting myself at the top of the clueless list by the way :oops:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Strange Rover wrote:Only really, really major sports get free coverage (or the network pays for the privalage)
You mean cycling isn't a major sport????? :D

vander

Postby vander » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:21 pm

So how did channel 9 outbid SBS if they would of been getting paid to show it? Took a lower amount of money then SBS? I doubt very much that would be the case.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:35 pm

Strange Rover wrote:I would well imagine that TDU is paying channel 9 money to cover the event and I would imagine that in the past TDU payed SBS to do the same.
That's creative thinking! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Strange Rover wrote:

Now this is based on my very limited experience on how TV coverage works...My understanding is most sports have to pay the networks for their coverage. Only really, really major sports get free coverage (or the network pays for the privalage)...like AFL, ARL, Cricket, Olympics etc).

What are your examples of this, Sam?

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:07 pm

How good is the movie Maverick???? It is one old chestnut that just never gets old.

Almost got to see some TDU, but alas now well past time for bed. Early start in the morning on the bike.

The ending... what a twist, Mel Gibson always the loveable rogue!

In other news Channel nine does not know the nationalities of the three soldiers killed by the rogue Afghan soldier, but SBS knew they were French about an hour ago.

Channel 9 you are still the one.

JM

Strange Rover

Postby Strange Rover » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:37 pm

clackers wrote:What are your examples of this, Sam?
My only personel experience of this was trying to get TV coverage of an obscure motorsport I was involved with about 7 years ago. To get coverage on SBS was easy but not cheap. You pay these people http://www.ave.com.au/ to produce the footage. And then pay speedweek to run the footage.

My understanding was that Speedweek buys airtime off SBS. And just about everything that Speedweek puts on their show is paid for. My understanding is that its all user pays. Again, it is my understanding, that alot of the motorsport series (like the Porsche Cup) that speedweek covers the cost of the TV coverage is built into the entry fee to enter the competition...the entry fees are really high, but you are guaranteed TV coverage so you sell that to your sponsors and you cover your costs...user pays.

Have a look at this show...

http://channelnine.ninemsn.com.au/austr ... pionships/

Channel 9 covers every round of the Australian Fishing Championships...8 rounds, 1/2 hour each, 11am Saturdays...prime time stuff. Our domestic cycling series carnt even generate this sort of interest from channel 9. Dont know how many people get involved in competitive fishing (in the same way as people who cycle vs people who race) Dont know how many spectators they get to events. Have never seen the results of the Aust fishing Champs ever make the news. In my opinion there are no spectators, there is no news coverage, there is no publicity, there is no nothing. Its just 8 guys in 4 boats going out fishing and they make a competition of it......plus there is about 1/2 dozen cameras chasing these guys around plus a helicopter, and also underwater cameras.

Check the show out..

http://www.myoutdoortv.com/shows/austra ... mpionships

The competitors are just walking billboards and the show is just one big advertorial for all the show sponsors...IMO its user pays...the sponsors pay for the production and the coverage and channel 9 gets paid for it airtime...

From the arguments in this thread there are thousands of sports more worthy of coverage by channel 9 on the weekend and we get sport fishing between 4 teams...

Sam

Parrott

TdU Channel Nine coverage

Postby Parrott » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:36 am

Sydguy wrote:How good is the movie Maverick???? It is one old chestnut that just never gets old.

Almost got to see some TDU, but alas now well past time for bed. Early start in the morning on the bike.

The ending... what a twist, Mel Gibson always the loveable rogue!

In other news Channel nine does not know the nationalities of the three soldiers killed by the rogue Afghan soldier, but SBS knew they were French about an hour ago.

Channel 9 you are still the one.

JM
I had a good laugh at that thanks. I watched the tennis and flicked over to see the end of that crap film. I had to be up in the morning too so went to bed also.

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:47 am

Strange Rover wrote:
My only personel experience of this was trying to get TV coverage of an obscure motorsport I was involved with about 7 years ago. To get coverage on SBS was easy but not cheap. You pay these people http://www.ave.com.au/ to produce the footage. And then pay speedweek to run the footage.
Sam
Thanks for the insight into the economics of fringe sports coverage, Sam. It seems some of those shows are in effect paid advertisements, similar to the late night exercise equipment infomercials.

I'm not sure that model was applied to the TDU, however ... for starters, news items did say at the time that Ch9 had "outbid" SBS.

Tale

Postby Tale » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:00 am

Whatever situation is going on in motorsport, I have no idea. This is a UCI WorldTour event and Australia's premier cycling race. They can sell the rights to whichever broadcaster thinks they can make money (or gain strategic advantage perhaps in Nine's case) from showing it.

Here's the TDU press release about Nine securing the rights: http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/channel ... -under.htm
Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 - Trek 520 1998 - Touring videos - Commute

Strange Rover

Postby Strange Rover » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:52 am

Tale wrote:Whatever situation is going on in motorsport, I have no idea. This is a UCI WorldTour event and Australia's premier cycling race. They can sell the rights to whichever broadcaster thinks they can make money (or gain strategic advantage perhaps in Nine's case) from showing it.

Here's the TDU press release about Nine securing the rights: http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/channel ... -under.htm
Yes - and in all honesty I dont know what the situation is also. But everything has to be paid for. So whether TDU pays Ch9 or the other way round, I dont know. Possibly TDU pays for production costs and Ch9 gives them limited air time, maybe Ch9 carries all costs?, mayby Ch9 carries all costs and pays TDU for the privalege. Given that there is very little promotional adds and the highlights are on at midnight I dont believe its the last case. I would guess the deal was struck somewhere in the middle and would explain the level of coverage we are seeing...there is definately a lack of money somewhere. At the end of the day, there isnt the money to support better coverage.

In all honestly check out the Aust Fishing Championships...this is 8 guys in 4 boats and they get there whole 8 rounds covered on prime time weekend television..has done for years. By the looks last year it was on Ch 10, and this year its on channel 9. I carnt imagine Ch9 paid the organisers more money than CH 10 to gain the rights this year...more like Ch 9 gave them a better deal.

Sam

Strange Rover

Postby Strange Rover » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:02 am

Also CH9 is listed as only a "Major Partner" along with 12 others. Then there are 7 "premier partners" above them, and finally the naming rights sponsor Santos.

http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/partners.htm

Seems to me Ch 9 is adding as much "value" to the organisation as the other 12 "major partners" and nothing more...they dont even rate as high as the 7 "premier partners" I would bet the majority of the coverage is being paid for by TdU and, in turn, by Santos.

Just my opinion.

Sam

Strange Rover

Postby Strange Rover » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:29 am

...or it means that's how much ch9 paid for the rights...bah...I really don't know...coverage is about to start now anyway...hoping GreenEDGE blows this race apart...and Gerrans takes the Ochre!!

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:00 pm

Rainy day in Sydney, turns the idiot box on...what is this LIVE coverage?

*settles down as she watches Australia's Tour de France*

(jeez BNAers, we should have organised a get together to watch this weekend's DAYTIME coverage)

Ps

No Eastlake yet. Fingers crossed he doesn't grace the audio.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:45 pm

The Southern Vales is looking fine this morning on my telly....the leaders just rode past my 2nd favourite winery in the Vale.....yay for live coverage!!!
Lisa

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:26 pm

It's been good coverage on todays by Nine and not that many adds. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:59 pm

I thought the ad segments were long, or at least longer than SBS's. Just an impression. Also miss race data eg. Location on course, distance to finish etc. Otherwise it's another Liggett and Sherwen Show. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:52 pm

Frequency of the ads increased during the third lap around Aldinga, but now that they're climbing Willunga they'd better wait until the race is finished surely :roll:
Lisa