TdU Channel Nine coverage

Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a España, Tour Down Under and more

Re: TdU Channel Nine coverage

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:21 pm

So this thread on the coverage runs twice as long as the actual TDU thread... but today the coverage was good and am really glad that we got the last 50km live as this is where all the action unfolded and a highlight package can explain what happened, a bit, but not really share the same level of exciting detail that we got to saw.

Great move by Nathan Haas though holding a lead for a second ascent would have been difficult.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

by BNA » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:15 am

BNA

Postby wagr1213 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:15 am

Strange Rover wrote:Also CH9 is listed as only a "Major Partner" along with 12 others. Then there are 7 "premier partners" above them, and finally the naming rights sponsor Santos.

http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/partners.htm

Seems to me Ch 9 is adding as much "value" to the organisation as the other 12 "major partners" and nothing more...they dont even rate as high as the 7 "premier partners" I would bet the majority of the coverage is being paid for by TdU and, in turn, by Santos.

Just my opinion.

Sam

If I was Santos, I reckon id be pretty pissed off with very little bang for advertising buck at 11.30pm at night.

At least Satdys broadcast was pretty reasonable

And just when u thought you could get away from the footy, what a shame they had to drag in the aerial pingpong players for their 2 cents worth of nothing valuable to contribute except maybe admitting to being unable to even come close to being of the elite athlete calibre of a cyclist . :lol:
Malvern Star Oppy A4 Operator
wagr1213

Postby The_Eggman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:48 am

Must admit I thought the coverage has been OK. Not perfect, but not as bad as some are making out

Can't compain about Liggett and Sherwin (well you could, but that's who we get in the TdF), I think Voss hasn't overplayed his hand, and a 1 hour package is pretty solid, and the live coverage has been great. 11.30pm isn't the ideal time to broadcast the package, but as much as I like cycling it's not yet a mainstream sport that commands primetime

They could use a bit more info about the distances left to ride and the breaks, and you can tell those in the production trailer perhaps don't know the sport and missed the odd key moment. Perhaps that will come in time
The_Eggman

Postby not-A-clue » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:01 am

+1 from me for yesterday's coverage,

I did tape it and started watching it an hour or so after the start, meaning I could just fast forward through the ads and the interviews of irrelevant's like AFL players.

So looking forward to today's stage.
not-A-clue

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:19 am

Didn't realise they were AFL players...ah well, that is C9 for you always looking for way to dumb things down. Can't have intelligent people on tv just in case their demographic gets turned off. :roll:
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
CommuRider

Postby Drunkmonkey » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:21 pm

wagr1213 wrote:
Strange Rover wrote:Also CH9 is listed as only a "Major Partner" along with 12 others. Then there are 7 "premier partners" above them, and finally the naming rights sponsor Santos.

http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/partners.htm

Seems to me Ch 9 is adding as much "value" to the organisation as the other 12 "major partners" and nothing more...they dont even rate as high as the 7 "premier partners" I would bet the majority of the coverage is being paid for by TdU and, in turn, by Santos.

Just my opinion.

Sam

If I was Santos, I reckon id be pretty pissed off with very little bang for advertising buck at 11.30pm at night.

Santos just resigned as the naming rights sponsor for the next 3 years - sounds like they are very happy :mrgreen:
Drunkmonkey

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Vossie shut up during the anthem. The more you talk the more you sound like an idiot.
CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:30 pm

HAHAHAHAHAH there's a CUDO ad on now - given that its CEO supported Warney's anti-cyclist rant (yes run us all over why don't you)....what a joke!
CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:33 pm

F@rK Vossie's interviewing Merckxy boy!!! Bloody hell, get Phil to interview him!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH
CommuRider

Postby Parrott » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:20 pm

"Cut your leg off or die" Tracy Grimshaw returns with aca for her first major interview of the year :lol:
Parrott

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Parrott wrote:"Cut your leg off or die" Tracy Grimshaw returns with aca for her first major interview of the year :lol:

I don't see her interviewing family members of dead cyclists that have been run over or doored.
CommuRider

Postby Parrott » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:40 pm

Well that might make the bogan audience uncomfortable and they won't watch

Had to laugh at the tabloid headline for her first interview though
Parrott

Postby PawPaw » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:53 pm

Bloody ell. The SA Premier makes his concluding awards presentation in an ill fitting short sleeved shirt, not tucked in.... in stark contrast to everyone else. Not a good call.
PawPaw

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:57 pm

PawPaw wrote:Bloody ell. The SA Premier makes his concluding awards presentation in an ill fitting short sleeved shirt, not tucked in.... in stark contrast to everyone else. Not a good call.

:D

Fish out of water. Need more experience to project South Oz as not some backward region....so out of depth, sorry provincial. Lol. Quite cute but quaint. This is probably his state's premier international sporting event and he was dressed for a BBQ. Nothing wrong with that but c'mon some professionalism would have been nice.

Reminds me of The Simpsons Australia episode. Lol. I'm not cringeing. Really. I guess it is intimidating surrounded by all those fit elite athletes. :wink:
CommuRider

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:14 pm

Didnt watch any TDU but was listening on ABC Radio :-)
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.
Addictr3

Postby birdbrain » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:31 pm

Agree with those comments about the 2 AFL footballers. I don't like either of them but thats beside the point. Their input/comments about cycling in general were irrelevant. I was half expecting that moron Newman to appear. The ads were thick and fast and irritating to say the least. At least recording it enabled me to fast forward them which was a small positive. I was annoyed that the gap times were only updated at random. Overall I don't want to nitpick about who wore what shirt or who said what but as a whole it was very disappointing.
birdbrain

Postby open roader » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:35 pm

(Sunday afternoon) oh, there is some cycling on the telly now.......... very nice of you Channel 9........... :roll:

TDU4SBSASAP...........
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
open roader

Postby marinmomma » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:41 pm

PawPaw wrote:Bloody ell. The SA Premier makes his concluding awards presentation in an ill fitting short sleeved shirt, not tucked in.... in stark contrast to everyone else. Not a good call.

The presentations wasn't shown in Brisbane...Ch 9 cut to some pathetic show about the surf-live-savers...it's not like it couldn't wait another 30 mins to be shown :roll:

Poor effort Ch 9 :evil:
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:02 pm

TdU highlights on SBS now. Enormous difference in quality.
CommuRider

Postby marinmomma » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:13 pm

CommuRider wrote:TdU highlights on SBS now. Enormous difference in quality.

We Queenslander's have to wait another hour to watch...due to no daylight savings time here :roll:
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby Drunkmonkey » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:15 pm

marinmomma wrote:

The presentations wasn't shown in Brisbane...Ch 9 cut to some pathetic show about the surf-live-savers...it's not like it couldn't wait another 30 mins to be shown :roll:

I am in Brisbane and saw Simon Gerrans being presented with the TDU winners trophy by the SA premier in stated ill fitting shirt :?
Drunkmonkey

Postby marinmomma » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:
marinmomma wrote:

I am in Brisbane and saw Simon Gerrans being presented with the TDU winners trophy by the SA premier in stated ill fitting shirt :?

really??? I'm embarassed now :roll: Maybe I was too quick to change to the tennis....

Bowing out of this thread now..... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Lisa
marinmomma

Postby Chuck » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:27 pm

CommuRider wrote:TdU highlights on SBS now.

Thought I read somewhere that SBS sent down 9 staff even though they didn't have the rights. Their commitment to cycling is much appreciated.
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:34 pm

Chuck wrote:

Thought I read somewhere that SBS sent down 9 staff even though they didn't have the rights. Their commitment to cycling is much appreciated.

Though Ads for the national champs are a little embarrassing :P
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby CommuRider » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Chuck wrote:

Even the much-maligned Anthony Tan's reporting is street aheads of Voss.

Not sure what to make of TdF's Prudhomme's visit...hope he keeps the coverage with SBS not do what TdU did. I mean, relationships I hope still count. SBS kept with cycling through the highs and lows. Something the TdU organisers threw away.

Great reporting now by Sophie Smith on UniSA's team. Something in a million years C9 would never touch or sentimentalise and overpackage. Hope the team continues on next year.

As for next year's coverage, I wonder if the TdU can negotiate whereby SBS gets the weekdays while C9 gets the weekend when they can actually show the TdU properly. It is really illogical to have handed it to a network who likes to spoil all other sports including this one to spite their rivals and the fans just lose out in the end.
CommuRider

PreviousNext

Return to International and National Tours and Events