SBS Come Through Again

Parrott

SBS Come Through Again

Postby Parrott » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:51 pm

Must have put the mocker on him :(

gabrielle260

SBS Come Through Again

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:11 pm

Such a shame! I was looking forward to Spartacus animating the race! That's him out till the tour de France at least...

JV911

Re: SBS Come Through Again

Postby JV911 » Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 pm

SBS showing all stages of the Criterium du Dauphine :mrgreen:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 31, 2012 12:37 pm

JV911 wrote:SBS showing all stages of the Criterium du Dauphine :mrgreen:
Doesn't start till 11pm here in Adelaide, but at least the stages are shorter .... :D

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Thu May 31, 2012 1:46 pm

MichaelB wrote:
JV911 wrote:SBS showing all stages of the Criterium du Dauphine :mrgreen:
Doesn't start till 11pm here in Adelaide, but at least the stages are shorter .... :D
Also on Eurosport... Who will be doing the commentating on SBS?

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Thu May 31, 2012 6:21 pm

Lets hope they do a live stream of this one instead of what they did with the Giro
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:55 pm

JohnJoyner wrote:Also on Eurosport...
and tour de suisse from 9/6
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:22 pm

C'mon SBS stop f'ing us around and put the races on live in S.A. and W.A.

For example, tonight you have "Hunting and Gathering" on during the live feed. Who watches that other than the people waiting for the race to come on?

Most people will be watching the live feeds on steephill.tv which means you will have less viewers which justifies the station put it on later. Catch 22.

P.S. Get some training and/or experience in your commentary team.

Is McEwen available?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:00 am

J Quinton wrote:C'mon SBS stop f'ing us around and put the races on live in S.A. and W.A.

For example, tonight you have "Hunting and Gathering" on during the live feed. Who watches that other than the people waiting for the race to come on?

Most people will be watching the live feeds on steephill.tv which means you will have less viewers which justifies the station put it on later. Catch 22.

P.S. Get some training and/or experience in your commentary team.

Is McEwen available?
It's much better than what we had in the past !!!

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:36 pm

That's just it. Everyone at SBS cycling is living in the past. "Look at the work we've done." "We've been here from the beginning." "You used to have to listen to cycling on the radio, now you've got it so good." Blah. Blah.

No. Stop living in the past SBS. Cycling is going off in Australia. Put the races on live and get a decent commentary team. Pay people properly. Cull all the amateurs who are willing to do it for free.

The current team will make a good back up team.

You say there's no money. I say find the money. There are millions of dollars out there. There is a rich history of Australian cyclists (pros) who would, given a bit training, make good commentators.

The dribble that comes out of the cycling central website is so parochial it's not funny. They can not even come up with titles that relate to the story.

Luckily we have the option of watching it live, with good commentators (Harman and Kelly, for example) on livestreams through steephill.tv

Until then SBS will lose viewers.

RonK

SBS Come Through Again

Postby RonK » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:07 pm

Until last nights stage I gave been unable to escape the grating Matt Keenan and his incessant ramblings - he has been on Eurosport as well as SBS. Happily normal services have resumed in Eurosport now I hope. Hardly watch Cycling Central now that it is dominated by BMX and MTB, and the unbearable Tan. Please let the TdF be covered by Ligget and Sherwin, or I swear I going to give up altogether.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:30 pm

Afterthought: If you compare AFL to SBS's coverage of cycling you start to see the gross inadequacy of SBS's coverage.

AFL may have a lot more money, but why is that?

Because they get it right. How many hours a weekend is AFL on free and live on television? There's even 4-5 talk shows during the week.

The overheads for SBS to cover races must be quite small. They pay a fee for the feed and a couple of microphones, some coffee and away you go. Change the colour of the World News set and there's you're pre-race banter set. We do not need that section SBS.

If channel TEN took over cycling I think they would do much better job.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:22 pm

You need to remember that they need to balance across all there telecast responsibilities and to show what will attract sponsorship dollars. Whether we like it or not cycling does not yet attract anywhere near the dollars here that the ball sports do.

This limits the access that SBS has to purchase the telecasts.

As SA is 30 minutes behind it means that they are forced to delay or come in later.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:31 pm

SBS will need to improve there coverage if they wish to keep people from flipping over to Eurosport, you no longer need to have Foxtel to get it. Kelly and Co. are a much more professional line up , not surprising considering the difference in budgets and being in a location close to the races. Having said that people like Tan, who i struggle too listen to for more that 2 minutes, do nothing to help the situation. Kennan used to be good with the 15min intro he used to do on the Tour before Phil and Paul came on, but his changed his style, some kind of weird lilt to his voice which is just annoying. SBS did a great job for along time, this was really just Tommo stuck atop some mountain finish giving us a wrap up of a stage with may Phil Anderson popping up or Rupert G. They are now trying to take it that step further and so far i would give them a pass mark just. They need to experiment a bit and of course some of that wont work. I think the best thing they could do is get rid of Anthony Tan and find a ex-pro that can present on camera as well as David Mackenzie, he is the one commentator that i rate quite highly
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:38 pm

jcjordan wrote:You need to remember that they need to balance across all there telecast responsibilities and to show what will attract sponsorship dollars. Whether we like it or not cycling does not yet attract anywhere near the dollars here that the ball sports do.

Make it a priority. Like I said earlier, it's catch 22. If they continue to treat cycling like a 3rd tier sport, it will remain there.

They have no limits. They subscribe to the same feed as everyone else. They do not need to set up a single camera. Show it live. Stop f'ing us around.

RonK

SBS Come Through Again

Postby RonK » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:05 pm

RICHARDH wrote:SBS will need to improve there coverage if they wish to keep people from flipping over to Eurosport, you no longer need to have Foxtel to get it.
OK, do share how.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:09 pm

J Quinton wrote:
jcjordan wrote:You need to remember that they need to balance across all there telecast responsibilities and to show what will attract sponsorship dollars. Whether we like it or not cycling does not yet attract anywhere near the dollars here that the ball sports do.

Make it a priority. Like I said earlier, it's catch 22. If they continue to treat cycling like a 3rd tier sport, it will remain there.

They have no limits. They subscribe to the same feed as everyone else. They do not need to set up a single camera. Show it live. Stop f'ing us around.
They still have to pay for the feed, which must then be offset by add revenue.

James

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:28 pm

May be no-one is paying for adds cause they are a bunch of amateurs.

Someone like McEwen probably wont come on because they wont pay enough. I bet he feels his time is more valuable.

I still struggle to see how "Hunters and Gatherers" (for example) would have more viewers than if they put the races on live.

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:52 pm

J Quinton wrote:May be no-one is paying for adds cause they are a bunch of amateurs.
We can't be precious about a minority sport, JQ.

Changes to coverage (such as moving away from the 'everyman' Ligget/Sherwen commentary style) that appeal only to purists are self-defeating.

wulfy117

Postby wulfy117 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:00 pm

The aussie commentators seem to ramble off rider notes from wikipedia trying to be quirky, while the uk commentators are more interesting talking about the race, current moves and tactics and gear.

Phil and Paul had a good balance of both, but in a relaxed tone rather than the "dipsy" aussie commentators.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:42 pm

clackers wrote:
J Quinton wrote:May be no-one is paying for adds cause they are a bunch of amateurs.
We can't be precious about a minority sport, JQ.

Changes to coverage (such as moving away from the 'everyman' Ligget/Sherwen commentary style) that appeal only to purists are self-defeating.
Do you think cycling will always be a minority sport? I suspect SBS do. If they are not careful another station will steal it from them.

I'm no purist. I really don't care who is commentating, (can put the sound down) but don't patronise us with putting the races on live in NSW and delayed in WA and SA.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:11 pm

I dont find Matt any more random in his conversation points then Paul and Phill, actually I find that he spends more time on topic.

I bet I have started a small war with this opinion :)

James

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:26 pm

RonK wrote:
RICHARDH wrote:SBS will need to improve there coverage if they wish to keep people from flipping over to Eurosport, you no longer need to have Foxtel to get it.
OK, do share how.
Ok so you need to get foxtel but you you only subscribe for the Eurosport and can just pick the months you want. Check this link out

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2012/03/a ... per-month/

ozzymac

SBS Come Through Again

Postby ozzymac » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:57 pm

RICHARDH wrote:
RonK wrote:
OK, do share how.
Ok so you need to get foxtel but you you only subscribe for the Eurosport and can just pick the months you want. Check this link out

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2012/03/a ... per-month/

Don't know where that is.

But for me to get Eurosport, I had to have basic package, plus sport pack.

But sometimes the commentators on Eurosport drive you nuts. Plus they don't usually tell you what the scenic shots are, when the helicopters show them, which sometimes would be nice to know what your looking at.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:04 pm

I actually like it when they don't tell me about some Castle i have no interest in. This is a internet subscription so the ability to pick and choose is a little easier i think if you have a internet connection you can get this .