Paralympics

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: Paralympics

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:00 am

find_bruce wrote:Congratualtions to Carol Cooke, picked up a gold in the Mixed T1-2 class, "Athletes on tricycles, who have severe locomotive dysfunctions and limited ability to pedal" - yep she beat the blokes into 2nd & 3rd
Excellent! We don't see enough trike racing here in Australia. I know a guy who acquired a brain injury while mountain biking (which means he probably had a brain injury before that :D ) who had to ride a trike roadie and he could hammer it.

Also good to see mixed events.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:08 am

Found the track riding exciting, love the skill and performance.
Cycling is in my BNA

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:36 pm

If you can find a copy of the episodes, check out The Last Leg, which is a show on the UK Channel 4 following the Paralympic telecasts. It basically takes the urine out of the games and is hosted by our very own Adam Hills (Spicks and Specks). Just so you know, he has only one foot and all of the people on the panel have disabilities. That way, they can make fun of the athletes and it's OK, right?

Some of the stuff is really funny and it really works at breaking down the barriers.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:05 pm

Nice story :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/disability-sport/19493510

Italian former Formula 1 driver Alex Zanardi, who lost both legs following a crash in 2001, has won Paralympic gold.

Competing in the H4 handcycling time trial, the 45-year-old beat Germany's Nobert Mosandl by more than 27 seconds at Brands Hatch.

Zanardi had both legs amputated following a near-fatal Champ Car accident at Germany's Lausitzring.

Last year he won the New York marathon at the fourth attempt and also claimed world time-trial silver.

"This is a great accomplishment, one of the greatest of my life," Zanardi said of his victory.

"I worked very hard to get here. It was great to live such an experience at 45. This moment also brings a little bit of sadness for an adventure the last two years.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:08 pm

JV911 wrote:Nice story :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/disability-sport/19493510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Italian former Formula 1 driver Alex Zanardi, who lost both legs following a crash in 2001, has won Paralympic gold.

Competing in the H4 handcycling time trial, the 45-year-old beat Germany's Nobert Mosandl by more than 27 seconds at Brands Hatch.

Zanardi had both legs amputated following a near-fatal Champ Car accident at Germany's Lausitzring.

Last year he won the New York marathon at the fourth attempt and also claimed world time-trial silver.

"This is a great accomplishment, one of the greatest of my life," Zanardi said of his victory.

"I worked very hard to get here. It was great to live such an experience at 45. This moment also brings a little bit of sadness for an adventure the last two years.
Can't keep a champion down. Great news.