2013 Tour de France

jules21

Re: 2013 Tour de France

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:07 pm

warthog1 wrote:True but the amount of fuel he put in was not much and still has to be absorbed and supplied to large muscle groups. Miniscule amount of fuel to a big engine, most of the advantage, if any, was probably placebo.
As stated on the commentary he should have been eating all the way through the stage. One gel aint going to fix that.
i wholly agree - as they say, once you can feel the hunger knock, it's too late. but at that stage, anything you can get inside you will help - and more than regular eating.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:16 pm

jules21 wrote:
Strawburger wrote: Froome will/should be facing the cheating questions from the media, this time it won't be about his ability and should be about his integrity
it's against the rules. he got punished. how is it different to pushing someone in the back in footy, and being penalised with a free kick? there's a difference between breaking the rules and cheating.
Asking a team mate to break the rules for you because you know it is would be considered cheating surely?

Deliberate = cheating (sent off)
Not deliberate = rule breaking (free kick)
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:28 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
warthog1 wrote: Some here would apparently strip his entire lead off him for knowingly breaking the rules
Fixed that for you.
Nope changed it to your opinion. Stupid rule and 1 gel should not decide the tour. Thankfully it would appear those adjudicating the race have a better sense of the scale of the infraction.
im_no_pro wrote:Have a look at how quickly Riblon pegged Tejay back once Tejay hit the wall.
So you reckon one gel would have won the race for Tejay?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:36 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Nope changed it to your opinion.
Given you were referring to my (and others) opinion in the first place (and IMO twisting it) then I still say fixed :wink:
warthog1 wrote:
So you reckon one gel would have won the race for Tejay?
Definitively? No. But given how close it was to the finish it would have made a material difference to his chances IMO.

At the end of the day it's not about the rule itself for me, its about knowingly & deliberately breaking it and gaining advantage over others who played by the rules.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:06 pm

I thought I watched a great stage with plenty of drama... Most people here seemed to be watching an episode of CSI and got it mixed up with cycling... Too many late nights in Oz?.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Pinched from Cycling centrals facebook page who have pinched it from elsewhere. Nice little light-hearted take on Richie's hard work thus far :lol:

master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Punishment is to severe for the infraction for me. Several grams of sugar. Can't think of any precedent where this penalty has been applied in the past.

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:27 pm

warthog1 wrote:Punishment is to severe for the infraction for me. Several grams of sugar. Can't think of any precedent where this penalty has been applied in the past.
I read that in the recently run womens Giro someone was disqualified for it.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:32 pm

warthog1 wrote:Punishment is to severe for the infraction for me. Several grams of sugar. Can't think of any precedent where this penalty has been applied in the past.
Given CNP is the official sponsor of Team Sky and a cooperative research partner in the product, it's not unreasonable to assume Froome consumed their gel on that second climb.

http://www.cnpprofessional.co.uk/produc ... te-gel-max" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to the write up on that product page, each gel packet contains 24.4g of carbohydrates, where a recommendation of 60-90g of CHO/hr is advised for peak performance. In other words, one gel delivered by Porte was good for at least 15mins... The difference b/n bonking in the last 15mins and maintaining "peak performance" in the last 15mins.

I'd say it made a material difference too.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:42 pm

Told you the Sky team car should have been a Skoda instead of an Alfa.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:51 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Told you the Sky team car should have been a Skoda instead of an Alfa.
They are using Jaguars on this tour.
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ake-33795/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:53 pm

sogood wrote:They are using Jaguars on this tour.
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ake-33795/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
well that's why everyone is crashing.. oil leaks :)

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:03 pm

sogood wrote:
Given CNP is the official sponsor of Team Sky and a cooperative research partner in the product, it's not unreasonable to assume Froome consumed their gel on that" .
Worthwhile nutrtional analysis. However, re choice of gels, FWIW I'm Pretty sure Sky and everyone else would consume exactly what they want, what they find works best, what they train with and what the riders like.

Pretty sure they don't all drive Skodas too.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:06 pm

jules21 wrote:well that's why everyone is crashing.. oil leaks :)
Damn those British Jags! :lol:

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:10 pm

schroeds wrote:Worthwhile nutrtional analysis. However, re choice of gels, FWIW I'm Pretty sure Sky and everyone else would consume exactly what they want, what they find works best, what they train with and what the riders like.
Pretty sure they don't all drive Skodas too.
Not quite the same. CNP is the Sky's sponsor as well as a Team Sky development partner, and knowing how Sky operates, it's not an unreasonable assumption. Contrast this with Skoda, an official sponsor of TdF ie. The event, not the team. Team Sky is sponsored by Jaguar and so they drive Jaguar.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:20 pm

jules21 wrote:
sogood wrote:They are using Jaguars on this tour.
well that's why everyone is crashing.. oil leaks :)
It's okay because its a Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:24 pm

Quick!... Lets dissect him and examine his stomach contents.
It a gel ffs.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:30 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Quick!... Lets dissect him and examine his stomach contents.
It a gel ffs.
You'll get nowhere on this quibbling sooky thread taking that line TLL.

Embarrassing ++

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:36 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Quick!... Lets dissect him and examine his stomach contents.
It a gel ffs.
It's already been done a long time ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZouZJSG4ic

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:40 pm

sogood wrote:
Given CNP is the official sponsor of Team Sky and a cooperative research partner in the product, it's not unreasonable to assume Froome consumed their gel on that second climb.

http://www.cnpprofessional.co.uk/produc ... te-gel-max" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to the write up on that product page, each gel packet contains 24.4g of carbohydrates, where a recommendation of 60-90g of CHO/hr is advised for peak performance. In other words, one gel delivered by Porte was good for at least 15mins... The difference b/n bonking in the last 15mins and maintaining "peak performance" in the last 15mins.

I'd say it made a material difference too.
And he took it within the last 15 mins and it had to be absorbed and delivered to the muscles requiring it.
Several grams of sugar taken too late and in too small an amount to make much if any difference.
Petty, trifling thing to be whinging about.
But then we are Aussies, whinging and sooking seems to be a national trait.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:48 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:It's okay because its a Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.
yes, i know it was against the rules, but the thing is.. i was a bit busy with one of the podium girls earlier on and forgot to feed ol' Froomie, so you see it's not his fault at all, you understand. there's a good chap.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:10 pm

warthog1 wrote:And he took it within the last 15 mins and it had to be absorbed and delivered to the muscles requiring it.
Several grams of sugar taken too late and in too small an amount to make much if any difference.
Petty, trifling thing to be whinging about.
But then we are Aussies, whinging and sooking seems to be a national trait.
If it led to no difference then why did Froome get Porte to do all that extra work and risked fines and time penalties? Gels are specifically designed to lead to direct absorption and rapid response of its CHO, let alone the 100mg of caffeine. The kick is significant and certainly would have helped Froome in getting to the line.

Sorry, can't discuss a issue if one goes off on a tangent without observing basic scientific facts. Nothing to do with Aussie characteristics here.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:14 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I thought I watched a great stage with plenty of drama... Most people here seemed to be watching an episode of CSI and got it mixed up with cycling... Too many late nights in Oz?.
I loved it. It's great to see that they finally cracked Froome. So many efforts and methods. It's good to see the variation in attacks. The finish was superb!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:17 pm

KL. wrote:
im_no_pro wrote: ... 20 second penalty for him and Porte as a result. Dont see the point in such a penalty, end of the day he would do it over and over again because not having the gel wouldve cost him more than 20 seconds IMHO. Of course there is the claim they had car issues so couldnt feed prior to the 20km cutoff. Have to take their word for it I guess.... :?
This is the 2nd time that Sky (Porte and Froome) have done this :(
They should probably both be removed (disqualified) from the TDF for twice breaking the 20km food/water rule, especially the 2nd time, to gain advantage :|

thanks KL :)
Actually you will find this was the first. The musete taken on the hill the other day was available to all teams as it was put out prior to the start that they were going to allow a additional feeding due to heat and stage length.

Sky were the only ones to take up the opportunity.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4 Beta
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:19 pm

earlybird wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:
Of course there is the claim they had car issues so couldnt feed prior to the 20km cutoff. Have to take their word for it I guess.... :?
Well that's a lie - I've seen the Skoda ad on SBS (several hundred times, in fact) and they never have "issues".
Sky don't use Skoda but Jaguars.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4 Beta
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home