Spring Classics

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Spring Classics

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:20 am

AUbicycles wrote:
im_no_pro wrote:woke up at 2am and pressed play on the t-box and did the ironing to make sure I didnt fall asleep again :lol:
The fumes from Ironing lycra a bound to keep you awake.
For me to even consider ironing my lycra I would actually have to use it first.... :(

Agree on Stybar, wouldve loved to have seen a 3 way battle for the podium go all the way to the end.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Interesting ... what is this 'iron' of which you speak?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:06 pm

roller wrote:rode the paris-roubaix challenge today, 170kms including the 50kms of cobble sectors the pros are doing tomorrow and got to finish in the velodrome :D

it was bone shaking, great day out though.

off to see the race tomorrow, can't believe they race on this stuff, it's quite ridiculous.

Did you do it own your own roller or with a group?

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:07 pm

im_no_pro wrote:
Red Rider wrote:Fab was a little bit concerned with Vanmarcke sticking around, tried once to shake him, that didn't work. Luckily he's in great form and watched a few Chris Hoy video's beforehand. Great race the whole way, so much happening all the time, anything can and was happening.
Im not sold on how serious that attack was from Cancellara. I don't think he had a serious attack in him and IMO it was more of a 'give it a shot and see if he cracks/remind him who he is up against even if it doesnt work' type attack. Great race. Fell asleep with about 55kms to go, woke up at 2am and pressed play on the t-box and did the ironing to make sure I didnt fall asleep again :lol:
I think that the attack he tried was all he had in him at the time and it was a bit of an opportunistic one. If you noticed, he attacked and switched from the right side of the road to the left, trying to place a traffic island between himself and Vanmarcke, but he went a bit too early and Vanmarcke was able to get across behind him - just.

It was a great race and I managed to mostly avoid Phil & Paul by watching Eurosports who started coverage of the race more than half an hour before SBS. They also showed the presentation live whereas when it was over on Eurosports I switched back to SBS and they were just crossing to the supposedly live presentation then.

roller

Postby roller » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:05 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Did you do it own your own roller or with a group?
I did it as part of a tour group, so they shuttled us to the start of the challenge ride, then picked us up in Roubaix afterwards.

Then on race day took us to 4 spots and then back to the hotel after. Was really well organised and took a lot of guesswork out of trying to watch the race, I think without a really good plan it would be easy to miss the cyclists hitting the pave sections, OR, you could be left with a long wait until they come through.

As it was we got to see the hubub at the start of the race (team buses, oodles of bikes, riders signing on) and then saw the riders go past 2 sections of pave and then were at the velodrome with enough time to see the finish, all without having to get behind the wheel. (ie it was fine to enjoy a beer or two).

Also because I was travelling on my own, joining the tour group meant I could meet up with some others and then have some people to ride with and then hang out with at the race the next day.
inflammatory statement or idea

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:09 pm

You didn't have Eric as a tour leader did you?

roller

Postby roller » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:10 pm

toolonglegs wrote:You didn't have Eric as a tour leader did you?
Nope, a chap called Roy.
inflammatory statement or idea