Spring Classics

jamesn184

Re: Spring Classics

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:50 am

Spartacus rises again.. Sagan getting dropped like a bad smell on the last climb then at one point he got gapped as far as 1:10seconds !

Metor

Postby Metor » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:55 am

Beautiful race! The action in the end was what most people where waiting for, Spartacus VS Sagan one on one!

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:46 am

Great win by Spartacus. Shows some good form for next week.

I don't want to be a sadist but I want to see some mud and sleet next week. Today was cold but the weather had little effect. I have yet to see a muddy Roubaix.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:49 am

that was a dominating performance by spartacus - vintage "tactics? who needs tactics? i ride you off my wheel bitches!"

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:23 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Great win by Spartacus. Shows some good form for next week.

I don't want to be a sadist but I want to see some mud and sleet next week. Today was cold but the weather had little effect. I have yet to see a muddy Roubaix.
+1

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:09 pm

Is Sagan even racing Roubaix?

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:26 pm

Sagan's in trouble.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:30 pm

Storm in a teacup
Last edited by MarkG on Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:30 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Sagan's in trouble.

Haha, brilliant !

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:48 pm

Slow news day for the mainstream media it seems

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:17 pm

If only Spartacus had manualled across that line ...

More seriously, I'm now worried about Cadel and Goes.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:33 pm

Why Cadel? Giro's still a month away.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:23 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Sagan's in trouble.

So he should be! :x

Bad enough when they moved away from proper cycling caps to those trucker models...

... And now, beanies on the podium! :roll:
Damn things should be outlawed unless you ride a fully sikk ficksee while wearing your sisters jeans.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:26 am

What an idiot! Sagan has gone way down in my estimation...
Just read the article in cyclingnews about him that shows pinching the podium girl's bottom is not a one off behaviour.
There is a photo of him filling his car with petrol whilst wearing a tee shirt with a very questionable message and a clip of him "signing a girl's boob" (quote).
Seems even a professional cyclist of undoubted talent can be a misogynist bogan!
Andrew

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:37 am

I managed to do a Boonen and crash out with 20km to go :(

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:43 am

gabrielle260 wrote:What an idiot! Sagan has gone way down in my estimation...
Just read the article in cyclingnews about him that shows pinching the podium girl's bottom is not a one off behaviour.
There is a photo of him filling his car with petrol whilst wearing a tee shirt with a very questionable message and a clip of him "signing a girl's boob" (quote).
Seems even a professional cyclist of undoubted talent can be a misogynist bogan!
Andrew
And others quick to jump to the wrong conclusion. I watched the presentation and did not see him touch the podium girl. I did however see his gesture of salute to Spartacus.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:21 am

I didn't see him go for the grab on the footage but the pictures tell another story... The look on his face says it all tho

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:54 am

Great race without a doubt and the manner in which Cancellara smashed Sagan up that last cobbled-climb was very impressive - as was his TT to the end at an average speed of about 50Kph.

Also, I know it was a traffic jam, on a very steep section of climb, but it was heartening (for such a crappy cyclist as myself), to see many of the pro-cyclists get off the bikes and walk for a bit!

This weekend, I'll have the feet up - post Murray to Moyne - watching the Paris-Roubaix!

cheers

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:43 am

gabrielle260 wrote:What an idiot! Sagan has gone way down in my estimation...
Andrew
RonK wrote:And others quick to jump to the wrong conclusion. I watched the presentation and did not see him touch the podium girl. I did however see his gesture of salute to Spartacus.
And what would be the right conclusion Ron ? That it didn't happen because you didn't see it, that it was ok because Sagan thought he was being funny, it is ok to grope a woman because he respected Cancellara or is there some other conclusion you think is the correct one ?

This is what the woman involved had to say
Maja Leye wrote:What happened on Sunday was wrong. I hope this never happens again. But I'm sure it won't...excuses accepted @petosagan #flanders
I am saddened that Sagan acted in this way because (1) it reflects the poor treatment of women in cycling and (2) it distracts attention from what was a great race from two athletes in top form.

Moving back to the cycling, I too am looking forward to Paris Roubaix, but I can't see anyone catching Cancellara if he shows the same form

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:49 am

find_bruce wrote:Moving back to the cycling, I too am looking forward to Paris Roubaix, but I can't see anyone catching Cancellara if he shows the same form
it will be interesting to see if Cancellara can break away again - he needed the Paterberg to break Sagan, while Paris-Roubaix lacks such inclines.

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:41 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Why Cadel? Giro's still a month away.
Like I say, SS, I'm worried. The results of this race and the Criterium International are what we can see from the armchair, and BMC promoting Tejay is a move from those on the inside.

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:44 pm

jules21 wrote: it will be interesting to see if Cancellara can break away again - he needed the Paterberg to break Sagan, while Paris-Roubaix lacks such inclines.
Sure. He might need to go solo quite a long way out from the end.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:08 pm

find_bruce wrote:
RonK wrote:And others quick to jump to the wrong conclusion. I watched the presentation and did not see him touch the podium girl. I did however see his gesture of salute to Spartacus.
And what would be the right conclusion Ron ? That it didn't happen because you didn't see it, that it was ok because Sagan thought he was being funny, it is ok to grope a woman because he respected Cancellara or is there some other conclusion you think is the correct one ?

I am saddened that Sagan acted in this way because (1) it reflects the poor treatment of women in cycling and (2) it distracts attention from what was a great race from two athletes in top form.
I watched the presentation with my wife, and neither of us noticed Sagan was actually groping the podium girl. Seems by his own admission we were unobservant. Impressive self-righteousness though.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:11 pm

jules21 wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Moving back to the cycling, I too am looking forward to Paris Roubaix, but I can't see anyone catching Cancellara if he shows the same form
it will be interesting to see if Cancellara can break away again - he needed the Paterberg to break Sagan, while Paris-Roubaix lacks such inclines.
Sagan has no chance of winning Paris-Roubaix - mainly because he is not starting :D I suspect the "tactics" for Spartacus will be (1) stay upright, (2) Be near the front at the Arenberg (3) Attack hard & fast into one of the later cobble sections, ie rinse & repeat of 2010. I would be surprised if he catches the peloton napping at Mons-en-Pévèle like in 2010, more likely one of the 1 - 2 km sections with around 20-30 km to go.

Sadly I can't see any of the Aussies featuring. My pick for the best of the aussies is Heinrich Hausler.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:20 pm

RonK wrote:I watched the presentation with my wife, and neither of us noticed Sagan was actually groping the podium girl. Seems by his own admission we were unobservant. Impressive self-righteousness though.
The telecast was zoomed in on Cancellara at the time, but it was noticed by people at the time, including both the photographer & Ms Leye. As for being self righteous, "I was just joking" is a tired and lame excuse that is regularly offered up as the excuse for harassment. I noticed you edited out the quote from Ms Leye. At least you had the good sense not to offer up what you think is the "correct" conclusion.