2014 Tour de France

martinjs

Re: 2014 Tour de France

Postby martinjs » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:04 pm

What I like about Nibali is his ability and hunger to go out alone and win a stage, no being towed up to just before the finish line and ride in!
A couple of times now his team has failed and left him alone, no issue, chase down the people trying to get away and then "Catch ya latter" as he rides of into the distance!

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:11 pm

That ability sadly has been associated with PED use. ^^^^ I like seeing riders have a go, but the reality is that team radios makes it very very hard for anyone to get away and maintain some element of fear in the peloton.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:52 am

Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi!!

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:01 am

moosterbounce wrote:Aussie Aussie Aussie oi oi oi!!
Like!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:57 am

+1!!!! That man is having some awesome form - winning stages in back to back GTs. Can he get one in Spain?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:24 am

Simon Gerrans has withdrawn. Hasn't been a big contender in the sprint finishes and no blamining him either (we know who to blame... right).

But on the sprints - it has been mixed up quite a bit, not completely dominated by only one or two riders. Obviously influenced by the crashes and withdrawals.
Cycling is in my BNA

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:43 am

Big Mick. What can you say about that man. Yeeeewww
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:47 pm

Yeah Mick's had a great year. I just don't know about this guy though being involved in a few near miss drug doping scandals and his associations. I hope I'm really wrong but I dunno and reserve my judgment until he retires and writes a tell all book... :-)
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:00 pm

Pretty cynical there Rodney. He was cleared of his clenbuterol positive test and hasn't been a part of any disgraced teams in the past.

Anyhoo, fantastic stage last night. I was on the edge of my seat. That decent was gnarly. Two BIG nights now...last chances for those wanting a podium. Should be some good racing.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:41 pm

GAV!N wrote:Pretty cynical there Rodney. He was cleared of his clenbuterol positive test and hasn't been a part of any disgraced teams in the past.
Some people have short memories - Rogers was a long time member of German team Telekom/T-Mobile, along with Jan Ullrich, Eric Zabel, Rolf Aldag, Alex Zulle and Bjarne Riis (surprise, surprise, his current boss), disgraced dopers all.

T-Mobile was identified by German authorities as having a systematic doping system in place. It's one of the reasons cycling gets no media coverage in Germany.

It beggars belief that his teammates when in it up to their eyeballs but he never succumbed. He is at least as suspect as Stuart O'Grady, yet another confessed doper.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:15 pm

Fair enough, my oversight (and short memory). Didn't realise T-Mobile was Telekom.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:22 pm

RonK wrote:It beggars belief that his teammates when in it up to their eyeballs but he never succumbed. He is at least as suspect as Stuart O'Grady, yet another confessed doper.
The saving grace to this is that he was out for quite a while after the clenbuterol ban and the sport has form on quality riders benefitting from a long break from training - Horner did great in the Vuelta after some time out, Mick similarly rejuvenated.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Xplora wrote:
RonK wrote:It beggars belief that his teammates when in it up to their eyeballs but he never succumbed. He is at least as suspect as Stuart O'Grady, yet another confessed doper.
The saving grace to this is that he was out for quite a while after the clenbuterol ban and the sport has form on quality riders benefitting from a long break from training - Horner did great in the Vuelta after some time out, Mick similarly rejuvenated.
I'd be pretty sure I'm not the only one who would consider Horner a very poor example.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:50 pm

RonK wrote:
GAV!N wrote:Pretty cynical there Rodney. He was cleared of his clenbuterol positive test and hasn't been a part of any disgraced teams in the past.
Some people have short memories - Rogers was a long time member of German team Telekom/T-Mobile, along with Jan Ullrich, Eric Zabel, Rolf Aldag, Alex Zulle and Bjarne Riis (surprise, surprise, his current boss), disgraced dopers all.

T-Mobile was identified by German authorities as having a systematic doping system in place. It's one of the reasons cycling gets no media coverage in Germany.

It beggars belief that his teammates when in it up to their eyeballs but he never succumbed. He is at least as suspect as Stuart O'Grady, yet another confessed doper.
Moreover, let's not forget Rogers pumping out 450 watts in the Team Sky mountain climbing train with Ivan Basso saying "what can you do" in defeat.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:18 pm

I agree with the sentiment - and it is not unjust as we, as passionate cycling fans have been burnt a lot. I am also aware that there is a generation of ex-pro's who are regarded as legends (before festina and T-Mobile) and have escaped scrutiny.
Cycling is in my BNA

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:37 pm

Let it go ....
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Joel Bohorquez

Postby Joel Bohorquez » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:17 am

Great stage tonight. What a ride from Majka to win the stage.
It was a very exciting stage with fights for podium, polka dot and white jerseys.
Peraud sticking again to Nibali's wheel and gaining time to climb to the podium.
Tinkoff Saxo performance made me wonder of what a challenge Contador would've been in the yellow jersey competition. IMO Bertie would probably be in yellow tonight.
Nibali dominance is thanks to the lack of proper contendor but he will be a very well deserved winner (hopefully).
Tomorrow another great stage.
I am really enjoying this TDF.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:41 am

Joel Bohorquez wrote:Great stage tonight. What a ride from Majka to win the stage.
It was a very exciting stage with fights for podium, polka dot and white jerseys.
Peraud sticking again to Nibali's wheel and gaining time to climb to the podium.
Tinkoff Saxo performance made me wonder of what a challenge Contador would've been in the yellow jersey competition. IMO Bertie would probably be in yellow tonight.
Nibali dominance is thanks to the lack of proper contendor but he will be a very well deserved winner (hopefully).
Tomorrow another great stage.
I am really enjoying this TDF.
This is why Im a bit disappointed that Bertie couldnt make it. It would have been an epic battle. One for the books I reckon.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:44 am

It's not all bad IMO. It shows that the TdF is a proper race, a genuine challenge, rather than a sideshow that was Team Sky's towline for the past two years. How many people whinged about Wiggins and Froome dominating?

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:43 am

Xplora wrote:It's not all bad IMO. It shows that the TdF is a proper race, a genuine challenge, rather than a sideshow that was Team Sky's towline for the past two years. How many people whinged about Wiggins and Froome dominating?
True. I have enjoyed watching the battle for minor placings. Definitely better than the Team Sky tactics.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:38 am

The young riders are making it interesting still, as they did in the Giro. Some talent around at the moment in the U/25 bracket.

Joel Bohorquez

Postby Joel Bohorquez » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:33 pm

BTW Rafal wink was very funny. It was like: "I got it under control baby".

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:31 pm

I think cycling does have a unique opportunity amongst some of the sports where we can follow multiple races within the race, and the nature of the peloton makes it much easier to follow them all, because the whole group is together for much of the time. The climbers are in with the sprinters, in with the GC, and the younger riders. It doesn't do the sport any favours to follow the freight train for the whole race, the coverage should reflect that.... but sport does have a difficult time balancing "fans of the sport" vs "fans of the teams" vs "fans of the scenery" vs "fans of the leaders". The last one pays the bills, but the Sky train isn't going to attract people to cycling.

Funnily enough, I'm more conflicted about who to follow than ever. Orica, Saxo, Trek, AGR, Cannondale have all given me a reason to be enthusiastic about them this year.

flashpixx

Postby flashpixx » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:19 pm

Majka owes Mick Rogers a drink.
Gordon

Riding: Trek Domane SLR 7

roller

Postby roller » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:49 pm

Xplora wrote:Funnily enough, I'm more conflicted about who to follow than ever. Orica, Saxo, Trek, AGR, Cannondale have all given me a reason to be enthusiastic about them this year.

just cheer for all of them!

my super-domestique (wife) abandoned after the portillon last night, I cracked on the peyresourde, had to abandon the stage on the decent.

hopefully tonight i'll make it all the way to the finish.
inflammatory statement or idea