TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a España, Tour Down Under and more

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby jimsheedy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:20 am

If nine weren't so mercenary and thought about their customers for a nanosecond they'd broadcast the replay on the days race at a reasonable time on one of their other channels. That way people wouldn't have to record it.
jimsheedy

by BNA » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:26 pm

BNA

Postby JohnJoyner » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:26 pm

danny the boy wrote:
JohnJoyner wrote:I am in the same situation.. My apartment building has an old set up re Foxtel & you cannot therefore run FTA channels through Foxtel. Have to switch to normal TV only to watch ch 7, 9, etc... Then switch back to watch Foxtel... A pain in the arse...
Also, therefore cannot record FTA channels.
According to the Foxtel guy, the only way this is fixed is to get a new satellite or whatever, but that is costly & unlikely to be approved by Strata (I am a renter, so I have zero input)..
So, thanks ch 9... You're shite.

That situation has absolutely nothing to do with Ch 9 and everything to do with your Foxtel service.

I know that Danny... I'm saying Ch 9 is shite for putting replays on so late.
Focus Cayo 2.0 (2011) | Trek 7.5Fx (2007)
JohnJoyner

Postby nezumi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:59 am

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8785996

Livestreaming website for those of us stuck at a PC.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby bvella » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:56 pm

Great win from Gerrans in stage one. Utterly terrible coverage from Channel Nine as per usual.
bvella

Postby nezumi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:58 pm

bvella wrote:Great win from Gerrans in stage one. Utterly terrible coverage from Channel Nine as per usual.

I was on the website - pretty poor, and had to reload it a fair number of times, but happy to have something. Would far rather it was televised/webcast for the full race though.

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:09 pm

They are streaming it live from their WWOS website. I watched stage 1 today via the web.
My YouTube channel http://goo.gl/UlJrkN
darkelf921

Postby clackers » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:49 am

jimsheedy wrote:If nine weren't so mercenary and thought about their customers for a nanosecond they'd broadcast the replay on the days race at a reasonable time on one of their other channels. That way people wouldn't have to record it.

Live covering of an event is preferred by hardcore sports fans.

Recording gives you the ability to watch at night, minus ads.
clackers

Postby Toolish » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:31 am

jimsheedy wrote:If nine weren't so mercenary and thought about their customers for a nanosecond they'd broadcast the replay on the days race at a reasonable time on one of their other channels. That way people wouldn't have to record it.

What is a reasonable time? Serious question.
Toolish

Postby nezumi » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:21 am

Toolish wrote:

What is a reasonable time? Serious question.

For a one hour re-cap, somewhere between 8:30 and 9:30 pm start. Allows people who cycle (and get up *early*) to watch the highlights, so you don't find out the best bits in the bunch the next day! :)

nezumi

Postby hannos » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Awesome ride by BMC up Corkscrew. Good to see some support for Cadel.
What was better was to see Evans attack and put time into Porte and Gerrans.
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby Roub » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Epic climb for sure, insane power. Good pickup by McEwen to see Evans had shifted into big ring for the last part of the climb :shock:
Roub

Postby bvella » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:47 pm

Gerro was too far back at the start of the climb. Still probably would have played out the same though, Crikey Cadel was insane, especially on descent!
bvella

Postby AndrewCowley » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:53 pm

One of Cadel's best, surely? Awesome to watch.
AndrewCowley

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:35 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:One of Cadel's best, surely? Awesome to watch.

It was a nice win for sure, but honestly this pales compared to couple of other of his minor race wins.

GC here is just about earning world tour ranking points for the team. Most of the rest are getting a really well organised training camp.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby biker jk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:59 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

It was a nice win for sure, but honestly this pales compared to couple of other of his minor race wins.

GC here is just about earning world tour ranking points for the team. Most of the rest are getting a really well organised training camp.

Maybe, but dropping Porte on the climb must have been pleasing. :D
biker jk

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:13 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

Yeah he wasn't really trying that hard was he? And Porte and Gerrans couldn't be bothered really ... same as the Nationals really - just put on a bit of a show for the local oiks and the sponsors and get set up for the real stuff in Europe later on.

Griepel and Kittel are just here for a holiday and not really giving it everything either.

Perhaps I should just watch the tennis ...

Sent from my iPhinger ...
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."
cyclotaur

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:25 pm

cyclotaur wrote:Griepel and Kittel are just here for a holiday and not really giving it everything either.

Oh - you mean the tennis players aren't just here for a holiday (and a fat paycheck for some). :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Red Rider » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:52 am

Very exciting today. It reminded me of Evans on stage 7 I think it was of the TDF 2011 where he got away from Schleck up the climb and showed Contador and Sanchez how it's done going down hill into Gap to gain good time on them.

I've been surprised with GEM's coverage this year, better than I thought it would be. Not a patch on SBS but I guess they've got a different audience they're trying to target, which I welcome, great to have more of us exposed to cycling.
Red Rider

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:08 am

RonK wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:Griepel and Kittel are just here for a holiday and not really giving it everything either.

Oh - you mean the tennis players aren't just here for a holiday (and a fat paycheck for some). :lol:

Haha ... You need to switch your sarcasm filter off - I think the TDU action has been great, and I think the teams and riders are taking it very seriously, especially one C. Evans.

Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."
cyclotaur

Postby danny the boy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:52 am

Cadel showing who's boss of aussie cycling. Take that stage over any national champs where using team tactics makes it unfair advantage.
danny the boy

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:07 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

Yeah he wasn't really trying that hard was he? And Porte and Gerrans couldn't be bothered really ... same as the Nationals really - just put on a bit of a show for the local oiks and the sponsors and get set up for the real stuff in Europe later on.

Griepel and Kittel are just here for a holiday and not really giving it everything either.

I think you missed the point.

I never criticised his effort which was clearly maximal and excellent riding/racing. Evan's win was nice for sure, but compared to wining the world championship road race and stages and overall of the TdF where everyone there is picked only if they are on form, it pales.

I made that point because someone wondered if it was "one of his best, surely?"

IOW, no, it wasn't one of his best. He has many other better results against fields with far more depth and form. Keep in mind that more of the world's best are racing in Argentina at the moment (another early season training race for most of them) than at the TDU and it''s still early season training for a large portion of the field. People don't use the worlds or the TdF as "training".
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby clackers » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:12 pm

A win is still a win - in this case, maybe the decisive day in the event.

Cadel didn't treat the ride as if late in an already decided basketball game, so-called junk time.

Richie will be leading Sky at the Giro and Cuddles dropped him.
:)
clackers

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:47 pm

Gerro is pinching time off Cadel with the intermediate sprints. Down to 7 sec now He may need to drop Gerro on wilunga hill. Is it long enough and steep enough for a decisive split?
warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:50 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
IOW, no, it wasn't one of his best. He has many other better results against fields with far more depth and form. Keep in mind that more of the world's best are racing in Argentina at the moment (another early season training race for most of them) than at the TDU and it''s still early season training for a large portion of the field. People don't use the worlds or the TdF as "training".

It looked impressive the way he streeted the rest of the field and underlines that he is still our best GC racer. You are right about the quality of his other results, it's easy to forget how bloody good he is/was.
warthog1

Postby biker jk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:35 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Keep in mind that more of the world's best are racing in Argentina at the moment (another early season training race for most of them) than at the TDU and it''s still early season training for a large portion of the field.

The TdU has world tour status while the Tour de San Luis is category 2.1. So why would teams send more of their best riders to the latter rather than the former? Cadel Evan's stage win at the TdU is indeed among his best.
biker jk

PreviousNext

Return to International and National Tours and Events