TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a España, Tour Down Under and more

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby nezumi » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:03 pm

biker jk wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Keep in mind that more of the world's best are racing in Argentina at the moment (another early season training race for most of them) than at the TDU and it''s still early season training for a large portion of the field.


The TdU has world tour status while the Tour de San Luis is category 2.1. So why would teams send more of their best riders to the latter rather than the former? Cadel Evan's stage win at the TdU is indeed among his best.


See the analysis here: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/01/tour- ... -san-luis/
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi
 
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Heidelberg, Melbourne

by BNA » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:30 pm

BNA
 

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:30 pm

I rate it highly because I think Evans does. I was at the TdF in 2011 and I saw the same effort and determination yesterday as I saw then, especially in the uphill stage win he had in Brittany about Stage 3 or 4. Ok nearly every ride he does is aimed at a greater goal ( eg the Giro this year) but even so I think being able to win in Australia means a lot to him.


Sent from my iPhinger ...
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."
User avatar
cyclotaur
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby briztoon » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 pm

If you listen to Cadels interviews, it's hard to tell if he rates any racing in Australia. From the interviews I've seen Cadel give this year, after the Nationals and leading in to the TDU, I get the impression he doesn't really rate either. Now I stress, that is the impression I get from Cadel. Nor am I saying he's not giving his best during the races, but as others have mentioned, few riders at the TDU are here in top condition, Cadel has certainly said he's not and this is part of his preparation for May.

I love an Aussie winner. I also love an Aussie "battler". I find it hard to like Cadel, partly because he's so aloof, even when he wins, and partly for the "throwing the toys to of the pram" sulks and tantrums when things don't go his way during races.

It's so much easier to like riders such as Gerrans and Durbridge (and Impey even if he is a saffa).
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby biker jk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:20 pm

nezumi wrote:
biker jk wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Keep in mind that more of the world's best are racing in Argentina at the moment (another early season training race for most of them) than at the TDU and it''s still early season training for a large portion of the field.


The TdU has world tour status while the Tour de San Luis is category 2.1. So why would teams send more of their best riders to the latter rather than the former? Cadel Evan's stage win at the TdU is indeed among his best.


See the analysis here: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/01/tour- ... -san-luis/


Quintana, Nibali, Rodriguez versus Evans, Porte, Gerrans in terms of GC contenders suggests the two events are pretty even. The chart based on rider points is for the top 10. Moreover, the articles mention that the Tour de San Luis is padded out with non-World Tour teams and the competition isn't as intense. Thinks about Paris-Nice and Tirreno-Adriatico which clash in terms of timing. Would you argue that Porte's win wasn't a career highlight because Nibali wasn't there?
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2576
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby schroeds » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Bloody ads on Channel 9 are driving me crazy grrrr

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian
User avatar
schroeds
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby clackers » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:12 am

schroeds wrote:Bloody ads on Channel 9 are driving me crazy grrrr

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk


Welcome to TV sport, Schroeds. Ads subsidise the bills in South Australia and you get to see the event for free instead of behind a paywall like the EPL or cycling on Foxtel Eurosport. :)
User avatar
clackers
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:25 am

clackers wrote:
schroeds wrote:Bloody ads on Channel 9 are driving me crazy grrrr

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk


Welcome to TV sport, Schroeds. Ads subsidise the bills in South Australia and you get to see the event for free instead of behind a paywall like the EPL or cycling on Foxtel Eurosport. :)

No problem, just use ad skip. Eliminates ads, the irritating Ch9 host, TV cooks, SA tourist promos, and multiple race summaries
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5261
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby queequeg » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:36 am

RonK wrote:
clackers wrote:
schroeds wrote:Bloody ads on Channel 9 are driving me crazy grrrr

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk


Welcome to TV sport, Schroeds. Ads subsidise the bills in South Australia and you get to see the event for free instead of behind a paywall like the EPL or cycling on Foxtel Eurosport. :)

No problem, just use ad skip. Eliminates ads, the irritating Ch9 host, TV cooks, SA tourist promos, and multiple race summaries


Watching the highlights last night meant I couldn't skip the ads, and boy were there a lot of ads! in fact, I think there were more ads than cycling, and they came thick and fast! I reckon I only saw 15min of actual cycling, if that!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2806
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:50 am

queequeg wrote:Watching the highlights last night meant I couldn't skip the ads, and boy were there a lot of ads! in fact, I think there were more ads than cycling, and they came thick and fast! I reckon I only saw 15min of actual cycling, if that!

I was working (of course) so recorded the live coverage. The most annoying aspect was when they interrupted the live coverage to show the four (or was it five) race summaries.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5261
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby schroeds » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:18 am

queequeg wrote:
RonK wrote:
clackers wrote:[quote="schroeds"]Bloody ads on Channel 9 are driving me crazy grrrr

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk


Welcome to TV sport, Schroeds. Ads subsidise the bills in South Australia and you get to see the event for free instead of behind a paywall like the EPL or cycling on Foxtel Eurosport. :)

No problem, just use ad skip. Eliminates ads, the irritating Ch9 host, TV cooks, SA tourist promos, and multiple race summaries


Watching the highlights last night meant I couldn't skip the ads, and boy were there a lot of ads! in fact, I think there were more ads than cycling, and they came thick and fast! I reckon I only saw 15min of actual cycling, if that![/quote]

Exactly.... and who is thatchannel 9 meatloaf interrupting Paul and Phil. .. Does he know anyhing about cycling. .. looks like they grabbed him off a rugby league show.. Come back SBS

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian
User avatar
schroeds
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby clackers » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:07 am

schroeds wrote: .. looks like they grabbed him off a rugby league show..


Gilbo is from rugby. He's doing the traditional role of being a transition from the ordinary bloke on the couch to the specialised commentators.

Melanie McLaughlin is doing the same thing for cricket on Channel Ten.

When the SA govt and Santos have to justify their funding of the TDU to the voters and the shareholders, they will try to argue they get advertising exposure on a mainstream commercial network to a mainstream audience.

If that story's not bought, things get more difficult for Oz cycling.
User avatar
clackers
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby schroeds » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:28 am

If they repel their core viewing audience things might get more difficult too. I'm not saying it should nt be served up to punters but they do it so badly

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian
User avatar
schroeds
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby clackers » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:37 pm

schroeds wrote:If they repel their core viewing audience things might get more difficult too.


No money in niche audiences, anyway, Schroeds.

Before the Ch9 experiment in broadening the appeal of cycling finishes (I'm pessimistic) CA and the TDU should gleefully accept their cash while they can.

Except for individuals, cycle sport fans will watch anyway.

They watch the TDF even though Sean Kelly and co don't do the commentating, it's Phil and Paul who admit they pitch to non-cyclists.
User avatar
clackers
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby schroeds » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:20 pm

Quote abit ofniche sport makes itonto daytime tv eg triathlon. I actually think Paul and Phil do a great job of catering to fans and newbies. ..They get the Bale right. To me the big rugby Bogan is just so wrong... and because p and p manage broad appeal, he's totally unnecessary

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian
User avatar
schroeds
 
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby AndrewCowley » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:25 pm

Well I think Cadel took Gerrans too lightly today up Willunga Hill. Attacked way too early whereas Gerrans did the smart thing. Suppose hindsight is wonderful, but not sure why Cadel didn't sit on Gerrans' wheel instead.
AndrewCowley
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:57 am

TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:13 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:Well I think Cadel took Gerrans too lightly today up Willunga Hill. Attacked way too early whereas Gerrans did the smart thing. Suppose hindsight is wonderful, but not sure why Cadel didn't sit on Gerrans' wheel instead.

Cadel's comment about letting OGE "use up lots of energy" chasing sprint time bonuses was a tactical error in a race which has been decided by them in the past.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5261
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm

RonK wrote:
AndrewCowley wrote:Well I think Cadel took Gerrans too lightly today up Willunga Hill. Attacked way too early whereas Gerrans did the smart thing. Suppose hindsight is wonderful, but not sure why Cadel didn't sit on Gerrans' wheel instead.

Cadel's comment about letting OGE "use up lots of energy" chasing sprint time bonuses was a tactical error in a race which has been decided by them in the past.

Possibly, but you can only use the tools you have and today Gerro's tools were better than Cadel's.

Another great days racing.


Sent from my iPhinger ...
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."
User avatar
cyclotaur
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby Uncle Just » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:43 pm

Another great days racing.


I think you meant another great 5 minutes of racing. Nothing happens of note until the last time up Willunga. :P
Uncle Just
 
Posts: 461
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby Red Rider » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:48 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:Well I think Cadel took Gerrans too lightly today up Willunga Hill. Attacked way too early whereas Gerrans did the smart thing. Suppose hindsight is wonderful, but not sure why Cadel didn't sit on Gerrans' wheel instead.

Agreed, it was a tactical error probably due to Porte getting away, Evans must have thought Porte may take the Ochre jersey. Not sure Evans took Gerrans too lightly though. When Evans was starting the climb he looked pretty tired, teeth showing. As you say, hindsight mandates he should have stayed on Gerrans wheel.

OGE rode it to perfection, Gerrans did a magnificent job all week.
Image
User avatar
Red Rider
 
Posts: 658
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:44 pm
Location: Dianella, WA

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby mtbkym01 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:29 am

The TDU has been fantastic again, and anyone who thinks these guys aren't taking it seriously need to come and see this thing up close, Evans himself said at the Teams introduction that they weren't here to train. maybe in the beginning this tour was less important, but every year its status is growing amongst the riders, and big names will continue to come in bigger numbers.
Focus Izalco Pro 2.0 2013, Cannondale Jekyll 900sl 2002.
mtbkym01
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:08 am
Location: Adelaide

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby danny the boy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:17 am

AndrewCowley wrote:Well I think Cadel took Gerrans too lightly today up Willunga Hill. Attacked way too early whereas Gerrans did the smart thing. Suppose hindsight is wonderful, but not sure why Cadel didn't sit on Gerrans' wheel instead.



The climb flattens out at the top, Gerro would outsprint Cadel on the flat section everyday of the week. Many are saying there was a head wind on the way up and as soon as Richie dropped Cadel he had to do extra work, he needed more team mates to help him up as far as they could like on the corkscrew. I think Porte riding away like that was a big surprise based on what he had done in the race so far.
Image
danny the boy
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:34 am
Location: Mordialloc

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:58 am

biker jk wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Keep in mind that more of the world's best are racing in Argentina at the moment (another early season training race for most of them) than at the TDU and it''s still early season training for a large portion of the field.


The TdU has world tour status while the Tour de San Luis is category 2.1. So why would teams send more of their best riders to the latter rather than the former? Cadel Evan's stage win at the TdU is indeed among his best.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadel_Evan ... hievements

I can see at least a dozen race achievement (more really) that far far are more significant than his stage win at the TDU. Sure, it was a good win, fantastic ride, he rode his guts out, and made for great viewing. But it wasn't one of his best.
User avatar
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert
 
Posts: 3405
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:29 am

biker jk wrote:Quintana, Nibali, Rodriguez versus Evans, Porte, Gerrans in terms of GC contenders suggests the two events are pretty even. The chart based on rider points is for the top 10. Moreover, the articles mention that the Tour de San Luis is padded out with non-World Tour teams and the competition isn't as intense. Thinks about Paris-Nice and Tirreno-Adriatico which clash in terms of timing. Would you argue that Porte's win wasn't a career highlight because Nibali wasn't there?


Not just the GC. Check out stage specialists and the sprinters.

While ever the race is so early in the year, it will always be one part competitive / one part training. That's just a fact of the dominance of the European calendar. In some ways that's part of the charm of the event.
User avatar
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert
 
Posts: 3405
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby Toolish » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:20 am

clackers wrote:Melanie McLaughlin is doing the same thing for cricket on Channel Ten.


She has done it a lot better though. Seems to know what she is talking about pretty well.

schroeds wrote:Quote abit ofniche sport makes itonto daytime tv eg triathlon.


Can not remember the last time a triathlon was shown in any sort of good time slot. Cycling gets way better coverage than Tri.
Image
User avatar
Toolish
 
Posts: 316
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Mildura, Victoria

Re: TDU telecast times on 9/GEM

Postby nezumi » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:39 pm

Toolish wrote:
schroeds wrote:Quote abit ofniche sport makes itonto daytime tv eg triathlon.


Can not remember the last time a triathlon was shown in any sort of good time slot. Cycling gets way better coverage than Tri.


Hmmm, true. I remember as a kid, watching triathlons/iron man all the time on channel ten. Haven't seen it so much of late.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi
 
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm
Location: Heidelberg, Melbourne

PreviousNext

Return to International and National Tours and Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit