cadel reveals seriousness of knee injury...

Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a España, Tour Down Under and more

cadel reveals seriousness of knee injury...

Postby Addict » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:29 pm

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/new ... nee-injury

Cadel Evans revealed the seriousness of his knee injury after finishing fifth in the Olympic individual time trial.

Soon after the finish, Evans said he snapped the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee when he slipped at a post-Tour de France party.

He was on crutches for a couple of days and needed extensive rehabilitation to be able to compete at the Olympics.

It is the same injury that forces footballers to undergo reconstructive surgery, putting them out of action for up to a year.

But the nature of Evans' sport means he doubts he will need an operation.

Asked how he felt now his Games campaign was over, he replied: "Not bad, but not great - no medals, a lot of hard work."

Evans also had a knee injury leading up to the Tour, where he was runner-up for the second year in a row, and also crashed during the race.

"With everything that's gone on in the last three months - I had tendonitis, a huge crash in the Tour, riding the Tour, defending yellow with only one leg and breaking my anterior cruciate ligament - I was on crutches for three or four days after the Tour," he said.

"To be here vying for the medals isn't a bad effort.

"I worked flat-out for a week after the Tour to recover from that (the post-Tour knee injury)."

A ruptured anterior cruciate ligament means the knee loses much of its stability, especially for any sideways movement.

But a professional cyclist can avoid a reconstruction because there is no sharp lateral movement involved in the pedalling motion.

Evans was 15th in Saturday's road race and rode a consistent race today, holding fifth at each of the three intermediate time checks on the two-lap, 23.5km course.

Swiss time trial star Fabian Cancellara, nicknamed "Spartacus", won the 47.3km race in a time of one hour two minutes and 11 seconds.

Gustav Larsson of Sweden was second in 1:02:44 and American Levi Leipheimer won the bronze in 1:03:21.

Spaniard Alberto Contador, who beat Evans for the Tour win last year, took fourth in 1:03:29.

Three-time trial champion Michael Rogers of Australia also made the top 10, finishing eighth in 1:04:46.

Evans originally pulled out of the time trial after the post-Tour accident and there were doubts he would come to Beijing at all.

But Australia gained a wildcard time trial berth and head coach Shayne Bannan convinced Evans to delay his decision as late as possible.

Evans decided to ride the time trial after his strong performance in the road race, where Rogers also impressed in sixth place.
Addict

by BNA » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:04 pm

BNA

Re: cadel reveals seriousness of knee injury...

Postby Chops » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:04 pm

Addict wrote:But a professional cyclist can avoid a reconstruction because there is no sharp lateral movement involved in the pedalling motion.

No. But he will likely develop cartilage problems because there will be nothing to stop the tibia sliding forward at the bottom of the power stroke and when pulling back.

It's not necessarily painful, although ACL's generally are.

Heard of people living without PCL's with no trouble at all. (I don't have one.) But ACL's are a whole different story. Even if people do them painlessly, they inevitably get it picked up later with other associated problems.

John Todd might be the only one I can think of. Rides a lot, but he can't walk... so probably not a great example... :?
Aerodynamic Facial Hair
Chops

interesting

Postby crazycanuck » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:48 pm

PCL injury here!

I am sure Cadel *swoon* will come back nicely from this. (cadel's married :( )
crazycanuck

Re: interesting

Postby Chops » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:34 pm

crazycanuck wrote:PCL injury here!

I am sure Cadel *swoon* will come back nicely from this. (cadel's married :( )

Did you escape surgery?

I came within a whisker of having to have mine done.
Aerodynamic Facial Hair
Chops

Postby Chuck » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:46 am

I did an ACL in 1990. Even though I was drunk at the time it was still very painful and very difficult to walk on.

The swelling was enormous and didn't subside completely for at least a week.

It's amazing to me that he could recover so quickly after doing his and ride so competitively at the Olympics.

I had the OP and the knee is good. Wouldn't it be advisable for Cadel to have a reco. I'm thinking more about life for him after cycling.
Chuck

Postby Chops » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:21 am

Chuck wrote:I had the OP and the knee is good. Wouldn't it be advisable for Cadel to have a reco. I'm thinking more about life for him after cycling.

Yep.

As noted above, he will probably likely develop cartilage problems or something else, and will probably have to have it done then anyway. The degeneration is a problem after that as well.

If he doesn't run, because of the lack of lateral movement and weight bearing, he could probably get back on the bike between 3 and 6 months later anyway.

Like I said, I'm yet to meet anyone living without an ACL happily. PCL's are a different story...

But it certainly wouldn't be catastrophic I don't think. If he had it now, he would most likely be fully fit by France time next year.
Aerodynamic Facial Hair
Chops

Postby HyperHorse » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:29 am

Why the hell would he risk his knee?? That's just stupidity if you ask me..
Some might say bravery/courage etc..
But come on, he was just 2nd in the TDF, 2 yrs running...
No chance for a medal so why even race?
I don't get it. The guy needs a break.
Oh and why would surgery be a bad idea??
GT Outpost, Silver, Medium..
Standard except for Serfas Drifters Road tyres..
HyperHorse

Return to International and National Tours and Events