Vaughters on the state of cycling

Postby Red Rider » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:40 pm

Some good ideas.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Vaughters on the state of cycling

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:28 am

cycling <> football

If you listen carefully, he doesn't talk about a model that would see a reduction in doping, he talks about a sport where the public just doesn't hear about it (much).

The business model suggested is the NFL. LOL. Well if you want to cover up and gloss over doping (and other nefarious activity), I suppose the football model would be the way to go as they are very well versed in it.

In essence he's talking about developing an entertainment business, not a sport.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:34 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:cycling <> football

If you listen carefully, he doesn't talk about a model that would see a reduction in doping, he talks about a sport where the public just doesn't hear about it (much).

The business model suggested is the NFL. LOL. Well if you want to cover up and gloss over doping (and other nefarious activity), I suppose the football model would be the way to go as they are very well versed in it.

In essence he's talking about developing an entertainment business, not a sport.

True. we already have this entertainment model in wrestling, plenty of people watch it but no one believes its real.

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:57 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:cycling <> football

Yep, his use of American Football as a model completely ignores the fact that it has very low participation rates. Info I can find indicates that it's not even in the top 5 of team sports as far as participation goes, whereas cycling is one of the most popular physical activities and gets the most participants out of all sports that get a significant number of spectators. Like F1, it's a great model if you want fat people to watch the sport, but a lousy one if you want fit people to actually do it.

Re his doping comment - is he perhaps espousing the view that changing the sport means that the public wouldn't hear about doping because doping would be less necessary if teams and riders weren't existing on a year-to-year basis?

He criticises the fact that not all top-line competitions attract all the best "players" in the world, but isn't that pretty common? We see lots of rugby, football and cricket events that get lots of spectators even when they don't have all the top teams.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:22 am

But, a lot of kids do play American football, it's huge over there. The school teams, colleges, etc. It's a massive thing.

I guess the average joe outside of school isn't going to get involved in that because it isn't so easy to be involved in, you need a team, all the gear to go with it (and the gear would put off some people), the worry of getting hurt.

Bicycles don't have that problem, it's far easier to get a bike, some cycling gear and your helmet and go out and ride up the nearest hills. It's can be a team sport, or you can just get out there on your own.

I think I'm agreeing with Alex Simmons.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:32 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:If you listen carefully, he doesn't talk about a model that would see a reduction in doping, he talks about a sport where the public just doesn't hear about it (much).

Of course, that is about what I would expect from drug cheat Vaughters. He has zero credibility in my eyes.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:46 pm

g-boaf wrote:But, a lot of kids do play American football, it's huge over there. The school teams, colleges, etc. It's a massive thing.

I guess the average joe outside of school isn't going to get involved in that because it isn't so easy to be involved in, you need a team, all the gear to go with it (and the gear would put off some people), the worry of getting hurt.

Bicycles don't have that problem, it's far easier to get a bike, some cycling gear and your helmet and go out and ride up the nearest hills. It's can be a team sport, or you can just get out there on your own.

I think I'm agreeing with Alex Simmons.

The point is that the numbers and proportion who are playing football are much smaller than the numbers and proportion who are watching football. The Superbowl is a huge spectator event, but even among kids (who are most into team sports) football is only half as popular as soccer, basketball or baseball. (Figures from Wall St Journal, etc).

People watch football and other team sports, but they are much more likely to DO exercise sports and outdoor sports. Cycling is several times more popular than football in the USA in terms of both casual and core participation, and it ranks very well in the list of activities that those who don't currently do physical exercise would like to do. Such people don't rate football highly at all. There's some interesting data at http://www.physicalactivitycouncil.com/pdfs/current.pdf

Time and time again we see that there's not that much of a link between watching a sport and deciding to do that sport, as shown by figures from the Australian Bureau of Stats figures, the old Sweeney Reports down here, the US figures, and the European figures presented by people like Prof Wladimir Andref (sp) of the Sorbonnne. And since we know why people do and don't do sports, it's easy to see why concentrating on the spectators can harm participation rates. So basically, IMHO following the model of US pro sports could be a bad thing for cycling.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road