2015 Giro d'Italia

Overall winner - Can anyone beat Contador ?

Poll ended at Thu May 14, 2015 9:50 am

Fabio Aru (Astana Pro Team)
10%
Damiano Caruso (BMC)
No votes
Alberto Contador (Tinkoff Saxo)
14%
Ryder Hesjedal (Cannondale-Garmin)
5%
Leopold Konig (Team Sky)
No votes
Roman Kreuziger (Tinkoff-Saxo)
5%
Richie Porte (Team Sky)
67%
Domenico Pozzovivo (AG2R La Mondiale)
No votes
Rigoberto Uran (Etixx - Quick-Step)
No votes
Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Lotto Soudal)
No votes
Ilnur Zakarin (Team Katusha)
No votes

Total votes: 21
rpmspinman

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby rpmspinman » Fri May 29, 2015 11:49 am

fraser87 wrote: Haha i was going to say all, but who knows who is on this forum!!

It would be cool to be a pro sprinter and go to an amateur level hilly race and finally get some glory on the slopes!
Precisely why I said most. I don't know who here is a pro so am not going to throw a blanket statement on it.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri May 29, 2015 4:01 pm

RonK wrote: your attempt to justify it
Why would I need to justify something that I played no part in nor did it matter to me ? My comments were aimed at balancing your hype surrounding stage 16. If one had just stumbled onto this thread they could have been forgiven for thinking that Contador was the patron saint of cycling who, after being wronged, single handedly chased down Merckx, Hinault and Lemond.
FPR Ragamuffin

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 29, 2015 7:42 pm

Aru, Landa and Astana take defeat on the chin at the Giro d’Italia

What goes around , comes around.
On Tuesday, the Astana riders went on the attack before the Mortirolo climb when Contador stopped for an apparent wheel change. When Landa was caught up in a crash on the early slopes of Monte Ologno today, the Tinkoff-Saxo took his revenge.

They upped the speed at the front of the peloton and then Contador danced away. He was later joined by Ryder Hesjedal (Cannondale-Garmin), who was looking to break into the top 10 overall, and they worked together and finished 1:13 ahead of the group of chasers that included Aru and Landa.

"I think he (Contador) saw the opportunity to make me suffer and he took it, and I've lost a minute and a half," Landa admitted.

"He took advantage the same way that I did on the Mortirolo. Certainly they were angry about what had happened the other day and they took advantage of the situation.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Joel Bohorquez

Postby Joel Bohorquez » Fri May 29, 2015 9:53 pm

RonK wrote:Aru, Landa and Astana take defeat on the chin at the Giro d’Italia

What goes around , comes around.
On Tuesday, the Astana riders went on the attack before the Mortirolo climb when Contador stopped for an apparent wheel change. When Landa was caught up in a crash on the early slopes of Monte Ologno today, the Tinkoff-Saxo took his revenge.

They upped the speed at the front of the peloton and then Contador danced away. He was later joined by Ryder Hesjedal (Cannondale-Garmin), who was looking to break into the top 10 overall, and they worked together and finished 1:13 ahead of the group of chasers that included Aru and Landa.

"I think he (Contador) saw the opportunity to make me suffer and he took it, and I've lost a minute and a half," Landa admitted.

"He took advantage the same way that I did on the Mortirolo. Certainly they were angry about what had happened the other day and they took advantage of the situation.
So, are you going to call out anything? Is it anything inmaterial to you? :)

After the stage where the sneaky move from Astana and Katusha was made Contador was interview and he didn't say anything bad about it, he has no moral or right to call unsporting something he has done himself.

Anyway, it is fairly irrelevant to talk about that anymore. Contandor has proved to be in a lot better form than anyone else in this Giro.

Contador is riding amazingly well. I think he should save some energy for the Tour where the real test will come.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert ... roportions

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 29, 2015 10:14 pm

Joel Bohorquez wrote:So, are you going to call out anything?
I already have: "What goes around, comes around".

I've conceded your standard, i.e. Contador does it to Schleck, so it is not unsporting and quite proper if Aru does it to Contador.

So by the same standard it is not unsporting and quite proper if Contador does it to Landa.

Joel Bohorquez

Postby Joel Bohorquez » Fri May 29, 2015 10:17 pm

RonK wrote:
Joel Bohorquez wrote:So, are you going to call out anything?
I already have: "What goes around, comes around".

I've conceded that your standard, i.e. Contador does it to Schleck, so it is not unsporting and quite proper if Aru does it to Contador.

So by the same standard it is not unsporting and quite proper if Contador does it to Landa.
Agree then.
:)
There is a saying in Spanish (yes I am Spanish)
"Lo que es igual, no es trampa"

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Fri May 29, 2015 10:56 pm

This thread has gotten ludicrously off topic. Why not just appreciate the legend that is Contador. An amazing performance. Looking forward to him following it up by winning the TDF as well. Just can't see him being beaten.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 29, 2015 11:17 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:This thread has gotten ludicrously off topic. Why not just appreciate the legend that is Contador. An amazing performance. Looking forward to him following it up by winning the TDF as well. Just can't see him being beaten.
I can. Contador's performance has been all the more remarkable for the lack of support from his team, and the psychological contest has been extraordinary. But I think Astana with Nibali are a good chance (and will be very motivated) to beat him unless the rest of Team Tinkov lift their performance significantly, and can contain a stronger Team Sky as well.
The Critérium du Dauphiné starts next weekend and should give some insight into the form

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun May 31, 2015 9:22 am

Somehow Aru was able to overcome his immense embarrassment and win the last two stages and looks like finishing second overall.
FPR Ragamuffin

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun May 31, 2015 9:29 am

Chuck wrote:Somehow Aru was able to overcome his immense embarrassment and win the last two stages and looks like finishing second overall.
Yes, it was an absolutely outstanding performance from fabulous Fabio considering the previous stages, and should raise a few eyebrows. His apparent overnight recovery was quite amazing. Incredible!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun May 31, 2015 3:10 pm

Chuck wrote:Somehow Aru was able to overcome his immense embarrassment and win the last two stages and looks like finishing second overall.
:lol:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun May 31, 2015 3:21 pm

thecaptn wrote:
fraser87 wrote: Haha i was going to say all, but who knows who is on this forum!!
Yeah RonK is actually Alberto Contador.
Or his publicist.
FPR Ragamuffin

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun May 31, 2015 5:38 pm

Chuck wrote:
thecaptn wrote:
Yeah RonK is actually Alberto Contador.
Or his publicist.
Or his mum.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sun May 31, 2015 6:09 pm

Aru's comeback has been amazing. If Contador doesn't feel strong heading into the TDF then perhaps he will skip it. Just wonder what his appetite is like with the potential for him to get beaten up by Nibali, Froome and Quintana.

Joel Bohorquez

Postby Joel Bohorquez » Sun May 31, 2015 6:37 pm

It looks like Fabio grab one BOB but I also think Contador was playing smart and saving himself for the Tour.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun May 31, 2015 7:06 pm

Astana really need a kick up the ass for their terrible performance last night. They had a chance of stealling the overall victory and instead played silly games.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:14 am

As a relative newbie to cycling (~1 yr) and even more-so to watching cycling races (only Santos Down Under & Giro d'Italia this far) I'm really getting hooked, even watching a few documentaries in between the Giro stages this week. Am awaiting the TdF with much anticipation! But you can probably understand my confusion when it was generally accepted that Contador was the winner of the Giro at the conclusion of Stage 20, with a deficit of only 2' to Aru. A friend of mine more well versed in cycling than myself mentioned in an email in passing that there was a "gentlemen's agreement" that the pink jersey isn't contested on the final day. After Googling around I can't find any further information on the topic; i.e. when/why this tradition exists. There was passing reference to the fact on the SBS commentary but they fell short of actually describing it as an agreement, although they did suggest that it has been lost on the final day at least once in the past.

So could anyone kindly enlighten me as to the details of the 'arrangement'?

EDIT: Oh and does anyone know of any (good) documentaries on the Giro d'Italia?
Last edited by tcdev on Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

brentono

Postby brentono » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:21 am

Great Giro with the expected win of Alberto. Astana had the best Team by far but
made all the mistakes and blew their chances. Contador without Team was better.
Sky didn't have the Team of all the initial hype and looked like they had the wrong
leader. Great points by RonK, on Porte's heart or lack of it. Konig may have had
a point in an earlier interview on his right to lead. Sky were left lacking and not
the Team of the past. Expect it also in the TDF.
Great win, and congratulations Alberto Contador, even with his problems he showed class.
On to the TDF with sights set for Contador.
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:30 am

brentono wrote:On to the TDF with sights set for Contador.
I'm not going to pretend I have any insight at all on the matter, but it was interesting that not one of the four panellists on SBS rated Contador as a chance for the TdF (except for a solitary 'roughie' pick)!
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:41 am

tcdev wrote:

So could anyone kindly enlighten me as to the details of the 'arrangement'?
I'm a new a you to watching cycling. And i also am quite hooked now.

I didn't know there was such arrangements. I believe the certainty with which commentators gave contador the win relates more to the fact that it was a dead flat stage so barring catastrophic failure there was no chance of aru getting two minutes on Contador.

brentono

Postby brentono » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:45 am

tcdev wrote:
I'm not going to pretend I have any insight at all on the matter, but it was interesting that not one of the four panellists on SBS rated Contador as a chance for the TdF (except for a solitary 'roughie' pick)!
Yes the boring panellists on SBS couldn't stop talking about Porte up until halfway in the Giro. :roll:
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

RonK

2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:51 am

tcdev wrote:A friend of mine more well versed in cycling than myself mentioned in an email in passing that there was a "gentlemen's agreement" that the pink jersey isn't contested on the final day. After Googling around I can't find any further information on the topic; i.e. when/why this tradition exists. There was passing reference to the fact on the SBS commentary but they fell short of actually describing it as an agreement, although they did suggest that it has been lost on the final day at least once in the past.
There is no particular "agreement". It's an acknowledgement of respect by other riders/teams that the leader on the penultimate stage has earned the win, and the last stage is a virtual victory parade.
The only time I call recall this not happening was in the 1989 TDF when Lemond attacked Fignon and snatched victory by 8 seconds. But on that occasion the last stage was a time trial.

RonK

2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:01 am

tcdev wrote:
The TDF is a harder race with much tougher opposition. It is very difficult for anyone to recover from the Giro and win the double.
Contador will not be able to win without a much stronger team. They let him down in almost every stage of the Giro, and he won in spite of the team's efforts, not because of them. Chapeau to Contador.
Astana will be even stronger with Nibali and will be the team to beat if they can avoid the tactical mistakes they made in the Giro.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:25 am

The panelists on here didnt seem to rate Contadors chances either going by the poll. ;)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:33 am

RonK wrote:
tcdev wrote:A friend of mine more well versed in cycling than myself mentioned in an email in passing that there was a "gentlemen's agreement" that the pink jersey isn't contested on the final day. After Googling around I can't find any further information on the topic; i.e. when/why this tradition exists. There was passing reference to the fact on the SBS commentary but they fell short of actually describing it as an agreement, although they did suggest that it has been lost on the final day at least once in the past.
There is no particular "agreement". It's an acknowledgement of respect by other riders/teams that the leader on the penultimate stage has earned the win, and the last stage is a virtual victory parade.
The only time I call recall this not happening was in the 1989 TDF when Lemond attacked Fignon and snatched victory by 8 seconds. But on that occasion the last stage was a time trial.
Zoetemelk attacked Hinault in 79, but The Badger wouldn't let him have it. The stress of being a bridesmaid, I suppose. Vinokourov also attacked in 2005, but only went one place up to 4th, I think. That was when time bonuses counted in the tour.