2015 Giro d'Italia

Overall winner - Can anyone beat Contador ?

Poll ended at Thu May 14, 2015 9:50 am

Fabio Aru (Astana Pro Team)
2
10%
Damiano Caruso (BMC)
0
No votes
Alberto Contador (Tinkoff Saxo)
3
14%
Ryder Hesjedal (Cannondale-Garmin)
1
5%
Leopold Konig (Team Sky)
0
No votes
Roman Kreuziger (Tinkoff-Saxo)
1
5%
Richie Porte (Team Sky)
14
67%
Domenico Pozzovivo (AG2R La Mondiale)
0
No votes
Rigoberto Uran (Etixx - Quick-Step)
0
No votes
Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Lotto Soudal)
0
No votes
Ilnur Zakarin (Team Katusha)
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 21
fat and old
Posts: 2786
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Mill Park

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby fat and old » Tue May 26, 2015 2:02 pm

thecaptn wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/richie-porte-abandons-giro-ditalia
Abandoning is the smart thing to do.


Someone forgot to tell Contador after he stuffed his shoulder. :lol:

Chris249
Posts: 810
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:36 pm

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby Chris249 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:02 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
RonK wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:I think the Giro is held too early in the year - bad weather often intervenes. Otherwise it would be the best of the Grand Tours.

I wonder how the weather will be next week in the high mountains ? [emoji53]

On the contrary - the unpredictability of the weather is one of the aspects that make it most interesting.

Agreed. Nothing like mountain stages with 6 foot of snow on the side of the road or sleet coming down on the riders. Carp for the riders but great viewing in front of the TV.
Image

I had to be put up as it's a classic image :mrgreen:


The best images of that race are the ones that Hampsten himself has autographed, which are hanging in the northern refugio on the peak of the Gavia climb, close to where the pic was taken. Even in late August/early September it can be below freezing up there, but it's still an unforgettable ride.

I thought this year's Giro route was intended to avoid the worst of the weather, but surely they won't permanently avoid the Gavia and Stelvio.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

User avatar
thecaptn
Posts: 1620
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:28 pm
Location: Deloraine Tasmania

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby thecaptn » Tue May 26, 2015 7:34 pm

fat and old wrote:
thecaptn wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/richie-porte-abandons-giro-ditalia
Abandoning is the smart thing to do.


Someone forgot to tell Contador after he stuffed his shoulder. :lol:

Porte wasn't winning the race.

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9604
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby RonK » Tue May 26, 2015 8:02 pm

thecaptn wrote:
fat and old wrote:
thecaptn wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/richie-porte-abandons-giro-ditalia
Abandoning is the smart thing to do.


Someone forgot to tell Contador after he stuffed his shoulder. :lol:

Porte wasn't winning the race.

To finish first, first you must finish.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
thecaptn
Posts: 1620
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:28 pm
Location: Deloraine Tasmania

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby thecaptn » Tue May 26, 2015 8:45 pm

RonK wrote:
thecaptn wrote:Porte wasn't winning the race.

To finish first, first you must finish.

He who fights and runs away, may turn to fight another day.

AndrewCowley
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:57 am

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue May 26, 2015 9:30 pm

My take on all of this... Porte's chances of leading a big team like Sky in a grand tour again are cooked. If he wants the chance again he'll have to join a lesser team that is speculatively looking to contend for GT honours over the next few years. If on the other hand he wishes to stay with one of the big teams he'll have to be content with forging a career that doesn't include racing for yellow, pink or red jerseys. The big teams have other options and Porte is just too risky.

Chris249
Posts: 810
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:36 pm

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby Chris249 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:59 pm

On the good side...maybe this will allow Porte to move to OGE, and give them a GC contender?

As I write, there's more questions to Porte about the motorhome.....jeezers, why is it such an issue? It's bizarre that gazillions of spectators can hire RVs and no-one blinks an eye, but it becomes big news when a winner of multiple stage races hires one.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9604
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby RonK » Wed May 27, 2015 12:12 am

OGE have made it quite clear they don't want Porte. They are developing Chavez and the Yates brothers.
Porte is a super domestique, but that's about it.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

User avatar
Strydz
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:32 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby Strydz » Wed May 27, 2015 2:50 am

Chris249 wrote:On the good side...maybe this will allow Porte to move to OGE, and give them a GC contender?

As I write, there's more questions to Porte about the motorhome.....jeezers, why is it such an issue? It's bizarre that gazillions of spectators can hire RVs and no-one blinks an eye, but it becomes big news when a winner of multiple stage races hires one.


The more I think about it the more I think OGE and Porte would be a bad mix, it's not just Chavez and the Yates brothers at OGE who have GT potential, Jack Haig and Robert Power are both big talents, Power is more advanced at this stage but Haig has a lot of upside after committing to the road last year. BMC might want Porte especially if Van Garderen has a poor tour.
There is a rumour about that OGE is interested at an out of contract Jurgen Van Den Broeck, not as a GT contender but more as a stage hunter and guidance to the young GC talent at OGE, White and VDB have been seen talking at the Giro and both know each other from Discovery Channel in 2006.

On the RV, it is a big deal that he was using the thing. It was a mistake by Sky separating there team leader from the rest of the riders and Porte pretty much said as much in that interview
1983-Batavus Professional-Reynolds 531c
1990-Flanders-Columbus SLX
2014-Giant TCR SL

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 5741
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby biker jk » Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 am

I think it would be a mistake for OGE to buy Porte for the many reasons already mentioned. Admittedly, he would have a Jayco motorhome option. :lol:

User avatar
thecaptn
Posts: 1620
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:28 pm
Location: Deloraine Tasmania

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby thecaptn » Wed May 27, 2015 7:38 am

I think at his next gig Porte will have his own tent.

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 5741
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby biker jk » Wed May 27, 2015 8:18 am

Well the Jayco is a downgrade from the Fleetwood Excursion 39R so he must have fallen a long way to only get a tent.

User avatar
thecaptn
Posts: 1620
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:28 pm
Location: Deloraine Tasmania

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby thecaptn » Wed May 27, 2015 8:33 am

Might be a nice tent.

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 8118
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby MichaelB » Wed May 27, 2015 9:31 am

Cracker of a stage last night !!!

Scott2468
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:59 am

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby Scott2468 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:26 am

MichaelB wrote:Cracker of a stage last night !!!


Yes, it had it all. Great racing.

This stage really stirred my emotions. Some rides are either legendary, brutal, serene, memorable or beautiful. I can honestly say Mortirolo is all of this and more. I did this both ways last year. This stage really brought back great memories. Surprisingly, I even remembered some of those stunning, decepid, quaint farmhouses on the lower slopes.

I missed them go past Pantini's monument. Was that broadcast?
Image

AndyRevill
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: Margate, TAS

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby AndyRevill » Wed May 27, 2015 10:42 am

Unfortunately I wasn't able to stay up and watch last nights stage - I really wish there was a better highlights package, say an hour rather than the half hour with about 50% adverts. I'm starting to struggle to be bothered watching if I haven't stayed up the night before :(

Cheers, Andy
Trek 1.7 dec.
Trek Domane 4.5

jack11
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby jack11 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:59 am

Last night has to be one of the best stages of cycling I have ever watched. Like Paris Roubaix, I was glued to the TV from the minute Simon Clarke tried to bridge, then watching Hesjendal try and hold out the peloton, then Katusha drilling it down the decent, and last but not least Contador clawing himself back to the leaders on the Montirolo!
Image

danny the boy
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:34 am
Location: Mordialloc

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby danny the boy » Wed May 27, 2015 2:06 pm

RonK wrote:OGE have made it quite clear they don't want Porte. They are developing Chavez and the Yates brothers.
Porte is a super domestique, but that's about it.



When and where did they do such a thing?

danny the boy
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:34 am
Location: Mordialloc

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby danny the boy » Wed May 27, 2015 2:21 pm

Strydz wrote:The more I think about it the more I think OGE and Porte would be a bad mix, it's not just Chavez and the Yates brothers at OGE who have GT potential, Jack Haig and Robert Power are both big talents, Power is more advanced at this stage but Haig has a lot of upside after committing to the road last year. BMC might want Porte especially if Van Garderen has a poor tour.
There is a rumour about that OGE is interested at an out of contract Jurgen Van Den Broeck, not as a GT contender but more as a stage hunter and guidance to the young GC talent at OGE, White and VDB have been seen talking at the Giro and both know each other from Discovery Channel in 2006.



All these guys are years away though, Contador dropped Chavez in a couple of 100 metres of the start of the climb last night. You are spot on they need a gap filler for a few years to work on developing the young guys. To put where Rob Power is at into perspective, Chavez won the Tour de l'Avenir in '11 and has taken this long to be riding GT's let alone any chance of competing for a place, Power was second in that race last year. The team dynamic and culture is very important at OGE and there is one guy who would fit straight in and is about the right age.

danny the boy
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:34 am
Location: Mordialloc

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby danny the boy » Wed May 27, 2015 2:28 pm

Scott2468 wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Cracker of a stage last night !!!


Yes, it had it all. Great racing.

This stage really stirred my emotions. Some rides are either legendary, brutal, serene, memorable or beautiful. I can honestly say Mortirolo is all of this and more. I did this both ways last year. This stage really brought back great memories. Surprisingly, I even remembered some of those stunning, decepid, quaint farmhouses on the lower slopes.

I missed them go past Pantini's monument. Was that broadcast?



It was on briefly. Coverage last night was shizen, not SBS's fault but to miss out on what happened to Contador on the descent was a big let down. Alberto was a like a boss. They reckon he had 34/29, I swear he had 1-2 cogs spare for most of the climb.

User avatar
rpmspinman
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:50 am
Location: on a chair in lycra

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby rpmspinman » Wed May 27, 2015 2:32 pm

Contador was a machine last night. But Landa just looked more comfortable. One can only ponder....
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

jack11
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:07 pm

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby jack11 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:48 pm

danny the boy wrote:
Strydz wrote:The more I think about it the more I think OGE and Porte would be a bad mix, it's not just Chavez and the Yates brothers at OGE who have GT potential, Jack Haig and Robert Power are both big talents, Power is more advanced at this stage but Haig has a lot of upside after committing to the road last year. BMC might want Porte especially if Van Garderen has a poor tour.
There is a rumour about that OGE is interested at an out of contract Jurgen Van Den Broeck, not as a GT contender but more as a stage hunter and guidance to the young GC talent at OGE, White and VDB have been seen talking at the Giro and both know each other from Discovery Channel in 2006.



All these guys are years away though, Contador dropped Chavez in a couple of 100 metres of the start of the climb last night. You are spot on they need a gap filler for a few years to work on developing the young guys. To put where Rob Power is at into perspective, Chavez won the Tour de l'Avenir in '11 and has taken this long to be riding GT's let alone any chance of competing for a place, Power was second in that race last year. The team dynamic and culture is very important at OGE and there is one guy who would fit straight in and is about the right age.


Probably worth noting that Chavez had 12 months off the bike after a horror crash. Last year was his first season back and by his own admission it took 6 months for him to be up to speed. A more accurate comparison would be the Yates brothers who featured prominently in Avenir in 2013 and had break out years in 2014. I look forward to seeing what Power and Haig have to offer.
Image

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9604
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby RonK » Wed May 27, 2015 3:19 pm

danny the boy wrote:
RonK wrote:OGE have made it quite clear they don't want Porte. They are developing Chavez and the Yates brothers.
Porte is a super domestique, but that's about it.



When and where did they do such a thing?

Right about here.
Any chance of Porte joining Orica-GreenEdge seem to have lessened, with the Australian team insisting that it is focused on developing Johan Esteban Chaves and the Yates brothers as Grand Tour leaders. Time will tell if this is true or just a distraction strategy.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

AndrewCowley
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:57 am

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby AndrewCowley » Wed May 27, 2015 8:34 pm

For sale.

One lightly used motor home.
One lady owner.
Low km's.

Call Dave.

User avatar
RonK
Posts: 9604
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland
Contact:

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby RonK » Wed May 27, 2015 10:47 pm

Just watched last nights stage on Fox. Rather unsporting of Katusha and Astana to attack when Contador had a mechanical, but perhaps shows their desperation. He made them pay with an epic solo ride from 1 minute behind Aru at the foot of the Mortirolo to nearly 3 minutes ahead at the final. It's probably a good thing Porte has quit and saved himself the embarrassment that Aru has suffered.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Return to “International and National Tours and Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users